Win32s memory under Windows 3.1

Post by Julie Melb » Fri, 26 Nov 1993 02:16:27

Quick clarifcation if possible. Under NT, Using GlobalAlloc(*) routines
is not needed/recommended, etc but rather new/malloc. When this same
Win32s compliant app runs under Windows 3.1/Win32s, is there anything that
should be done to make the memory allocation be most efficient?
Runtime differences in allocated blocks sizes, etc for application defined
suballocators? And/or any comprable thing to do such as LocalAlloc that
can be done in a native Win 3.1 app?

I'm trying to make sure the application, always an NT Win32s compliant
app - never native 3.1 - makes the best choices for memory allocation,
if any are applicable, under NT and Windows 3.1

Thanks
julie

1. Borland C++ 3.1 - Windows 3.1 Application memory problem

Hi,

        I  have used Borland C++ for developing a Windows Application. The
program has grown to a very large size and now I am having problems. I
use the large memory model. The situation now is that whenever I add a
character string or dialog box or any such things, it starts crashing
during execution. I f I remove whatever I had added it runs well. I
have to use 'malloc' for every char string I use. I guess this is a
memory problem. My question is how do I modify the '.def' file or
options to overcome this problem. If I increase the heap or stack size
by a small amount, it makes no difference. If I increase it by too
much, the data segment exceeds 64K. I don't know what's the problem,
but i am sure quite a few of you guys must know exactly what's going
on. Please reply as soon as possible.

Thankyou for paying attention,
Sunil

2. Problem with ATI Mach 64

3. Windows 3.1 functions not in Win32 API

4. problem returning setof records

5. 32-bit app under Windows 3.1 w/o Win32s?

6. Extracting img files from DTP file

7. THUNKing from a 16-bit dll to a 32-bit dll under Windows 3.1/Win32s

8. rejected recipient in Outlook Express

9. Porting to Windows 3.1 using Win32s

10. Resources and win32s on Windows 3.1

11. HELP! -- Access to physical memory under Windows 3.1

12. Can Windows 3.1 screen savers use medium or large memory model?

13. Windows 3.1 DOS box memory mapping with DOS extenders