Relationship among WINS server, DHCP server and DNS server

Relationship among WINS server, DHCP server and DNS server

Post by Wenjun ZO » Mon, 26 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,
Who can tell me the relationship among WINS server, DHCP server and DNS
server? Thanks.

Wenjun Zou

Post by Felix Kasza [MV » Tue, 27 May 1997 04:00:00

 > Who can tell me the relationship among WINS server, DHCP server and DNS
 > server?

This is more properly a question for the microsoft.public.windowsnt.*
groups, but let me try.

DHCP hands out IP addresses, nothing else.

WINS servers record pairs of Netbios names and IP addresses and
provide lookup services; they do for NBT (Netbios over TCP) what DNS
does for domain- and hostname resolution.

DNS stores hostnames and IP addresses, plus alias names and other
fluff, and resolves names to, for instance, addresses.

Microsoft's DNS implementation can use WINS to look up IP addresses,
which is useful if these addresses are dynamically assigned through
DHCP. This is basically the _only_ relationship between the three
components.

Cheers,
Felix.

--
If you post a reply, kindly refrain from emailing it, too.

Relationship among WINS server, DHCP server and DNS server

Post by Luk Vermeule » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

For the sake of completeness, I'd like to add that DHCP server can be used
to hand out the WINS servers (and node type), DNS servers and other fluff
as well, so that an entire TCP/IP configuration can be handed out to
clients.

-Luk-

Quote:>...

>DHCP hands out IP addresses, nothing else.

1. Client - Server and Server - Server Connection...

Greetings,

I have written a Service for Windows and wanted to use it to check on
a another Server (Service) that is located on another machine.  I
wanted to know if the other Service is running on the other machine or
if the machine where it is located is available on the intranet before
I continue to do some file checking locally and send results to the
other machine.  Better yet, the result of this test will let me know
if an internet or intranet connection is available.

Can anyone assist me in this effort?  Is there a way for me to Ping
the other server and test for a result or an error?

Any ideas or assistance will be greatly appreciated...

Regards,

Johnny

2. OS/2 and Hardware flow control...

3. How To Find DNS and DHCP server

4. Cisco Ip accounting with MRTG

5. Resolving an NT file server without going through DNS or WINS

6. Palm & Claris Emailer?

7. MAPI Services on Win2000 Server and Exchange Server 5.5 ?

8. xterm: can the hole be fixed in another way?

9. Win2k server - media server + dial-in ... PROBLEMS

10. Servers and more servers

11. Server Node/Server Program in Network Domain

12. Window95(98) Dial-Up Server programming (RAS Server)

13. how can i close tcpip connection between server and client with a proggamme run on server