Inline image versus attached image in HTML message

Inline image versus attached image in HTML message

Post by Chris Ewingt » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:45:52

I am trying to differentiate between an attachment that represents an
inline image in an HTML message versus an image that is attached to
the message.  (That is, Insert\Picture for foo.gif versus Insert\File
for foo.gif)

Using OutlookSpy, I tried to determine what was different between two
such attachments.  One unnamed MAPI property was 0x3714, which was 4
for the inline image and 0 for the attached image file.

I found the following MAPI property on MSDN:

PR_ATTACH_FLAGS  0x3714

which apparently can have values:

ATT_INVISIBLE_IN_HTML
ATT_INVISIBLE_IN_RTF

However, neither PR_ATTACH_FLAGS nor the ATT_* values are listed in an
header file I can find.

Can someone help me understand this better, or at least tell me what
the ATT_* values are.  One of them must have a value of 4, but I'm
hesitant to write code that depends on this without understanding it
further.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Chris

Inline image versus attached image in HTML message

Post by Daniel Mitchell [MVP » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:37:34

Quote:> I am trying to differentiate between an attachment that represents an
> inline image in an HTML message versus an image that is attached to
> the message.  (That is, Insert\Picture for foo.gif versus Insert\File
> for foo.gif)

 See http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/htmlimg.htm

 -- dan

Post by Lucian Wisch » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:55:15

>I am trying to differentiate between an attachment that represents an
>inline image in an HTML message versus an image that is attached to
>the message.  (That is, Insert\Picture for foo.gif versus Insert\File
>for foo.gif)

The way I distinguished was as follows. If the HTML refers to a attachment
by content-id, then that attachment is inline. Otherwise it is outline.

(For the initial message welcome message, outlook seems to use
content-location rather than content-id. I reckon this is an abomination
:) and I've never seen it on any other HTML message ever.)

I put some of the code from my solution, on my web page. It defines
PR_ATTACH_CONTENT_ID = PROP_TAG(PT_TSTRING,0x3712). And it includes code
for decoding the HTML out of an RTF. By adapting this, it's easy to search
out all the "cid:..." references in the HTML.

MIME does a much better job of encoding the structure of attachments (e.g.
which ones are inline) than does MAPI. I wouldn't be surprised if
PR_ATTACH_MIME_SEQUENCE reflected this MIME structuring. But since my
solution already works fine, I didn't bother looking elsewhere...

--
Lucian Wischik, Queens' College, Cambridge CB3 9ET. www.wischik.com/lu

1. Custom icons for plug-ins and image files

I've searched Microsoft's documentation and can't find an answer to this
simple question:

1) How do I give a DLL with a custom icon? To be more specific, I'm making a
plug-in for Adobe Photoshop. The plug-in is compile as a DLL, but the
extension is, in my case, .8bi. Adobe registers the .8bi extension so my
plugin is displayed with the standard Adobe plug-in icon. I'd like to
override this with a custom icon. Can it be done?

I have a related question:

2) I see that Photoshop can now assign a custom icon to image files, letting
each image file be shown as a thumbnail of the image. What is the general
mechanism for this?

Thanks,

Jim Lloyd
p.s. please do the obvious munging to my reply address to reply to:
jim at bitjazz dot com

2. Dual File Association

3. drawing an image on top of vide capture image?

4. Bug in Linksys BEFSR41 & BEFSR11 Firmware 1.35 and 1.36

5. join images (a lot of images)

6. Minimal files to run WPS ?

7. how to convert 16 bpp image to 4 bpp image ?

8. BSP Init String for 2B on Mac

9. CreateMHTMLBody - images are not attached

10. Need some help on memory image conversion using GDI Image class.

11. Store some of a window image in a image class in GDI+

12. How to convert a 32 bit per pixel (bpp) image to an 8 bpp image

13. image processing/ stereo images