Root shell namespace and Nonroot namespace.

Root shell namespace and Nonroot namespace.

Post by Johnny Xi » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

As mentioned in the David's "Extending the Windows Explorer with Name
Space Extensions", there are two kinds shell namespace, one is root
namespace, the other is nonroot namespace.

I have built a SDK sample RegView, I think it creates a nonroot namespace.
Because its icon is listed in the Desktop folder. Now I want to make it
a root namespace. That is, open a new explorer and can only view the
registry view namespace.

Further more, I want to build an Explorer-like application, but I don't
want to write the total GUI, it is a grind. So I think shell extension
by namespace maybe a good option.

Any idea/suggestion/information will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny Xia.

Root shell namespace and Nonroot namespace.

Post by Ben Star » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Johnny,

Unfortunately there is no way to build on the default behaviour of explorer
if you are writing a namespace extension. If you write a namespace extension
the functionality is entirely up to you to implement (using the explorer COM
interfaces). This is a real pain as there is a lot of code to write just to
mimic explorer.

Ben Starr

(Please note my e-mail address has been altered to avoid spammers, use the
address above if you wish to reply)

>As mentioned in the David's "Extending the Windows Explorer with Name
>Space Extensions", there are two kinds shell namespace, one is root
>namespace, the other is nonroot namespace.

>I have built a SDK sample RegView, I think it creates a nonroot namespace.
>Because its icon is listed in the Desktop folder. Now I want to make it
>a root namespace. That is, open a new explorer and can only view the
>registry view namespace.

>Further more, I want to build an Explorer-like application, but I don't
>want to write the total GUI, it is a grind. So I think shell extension
>by namespace maybe a good option.

>Any idea/suggestion/information will be appreciated.

>Thanks in advance.

>Johnny Xia.

Root shell namespace and Nonroot namespace.

Post by Reza Razavipou » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

Hear it from someone who started out writing a shell namespace extension
for the same reasons. It was so hard ro get the SNE to work because there is
so little documentation on it. We ran to problems with auto refresh among
others
and decided to pull the plug on the SNE and write the GUI from scratch. It
turned
out to be a clean design this way but I recommend against SNE for sure.

It will take you less time to write one from scratch.

Reza

>Johnny,

>Unfortunately there is no way to build on the default behaviour of explorer
>if you are writing a namespace extension. If you write a namespace
extension
>the functionality is entirely up to you to implement (using the explorer
COM
>interfaces). This is a real pain as there is a lot of code to write just to
>mimic explorer.

>Ben Starr

>(Please note my e-mail address has been altered to avoid spammers, use the
>address above if you wish to reply)

>>As mentioned in the David's "Extending the Windows Explorer with Name
>>Space Extensions", there are two kinds shell namespace, one is root
>>namespace, the other is nonroot namespace.

>>I have built a SDK sample RegView, I think it creates a nonroot namespace.
>>Because its icon is listed in the Desktop folder. Now I want to make it
>>a root namespace. That is, open a new explorer and can only view the
>>registry view namespace.

>>Further more, I want to build an Explorer-like application, but I don't
>>want to write the total GUI, it is a grind. So I think shell extension
>>by namespace maybe a good option.

>>Any idea/suggestion/information will be appreciated.

>>Thanks in advance.

>>Johnny Xia.

1. Shell Namespace : How to create a namespace like "My Computer"

Hello From Paris

For a very high secured project, I need to create a Shell Namespace like
"My Computer". The main idea is to not allow the user to reach any devices
(A to Z), but, the user will access to some other folders where the path
is unknown for them. For example, the left pane of the explorer should
look like :

Desktop
 + My Computer
   + Local Private Storage
   + Remote Private Storage
   + Remote Public Storage
   + Floppy Disk
   + CD-ROM
 + Recycler Bin
 + (Other namespaces)

So when the user click on "Local Private Storage", the file showed in the
right pane are located on "C:\Users\JohnDoe", and when the user click on
"Remote Private Storage", the file showed in the right pane are located
on "Z:\Users\JohnDoe", and so on.

A solution have been tested : A namespace with the IShellFolder interface.
All methods (BindToObject, GetUIOfObject, ...) are forwarded to an
IShellFolder interface created with the following code :

    SHGetDesktopFolder(&pDesktopFolder)
    pDesktopFolder->ParseDisplayName(..., wsFolderPath, ... , ppidlFolder,
...)
    pDesktopFolder->BindToObject(*ppidlFolder, ... , IID_IShellFolder,
ppFolder)

With the explorer view, the namespace works fine on the left pane. But in
the
right pane, since a double click is done on one the folders, the explorer is
stopped without any exception.

I'm looking for someone how have already done such shell namespace ?

Thanks a lot

F.GARCIA

2. is win98 all it is cracked up to be ?

3. Difference between rooted and non-rooted namespace extensions?

4. Disscussion Groups Fixed in New Extension Release

5. Refreshing a root namespace extension

6. ECS and CM11A

7. Namespace ext: how to get the root name???

8. Maximum RCPT TO:s before pipe reset? Please no.

9. Find root pidl of namespace ext

10. Namespaces: IE4's Address Bar blank for my namespace.

11. Enums in namespaces v/s classes in namespaces.

12. Global namespace vs. base class namespace

13. Namespace Maintenance, Parent Namespace?