wm_char & subclassed child controls

Post by Stefan Ell » Fri, 01 Oct 1993 01:35:37

I am attempting to create my own custom edit control that interprets the
tilde character as a cue to change text colour.  Over time, I intend to
add features to this editor, so simply looking for the tilde character
will not do.  I believe that I need to capture the wm_char message, which
provides the language-specific character typed by the user.  However, my
control is NOT receiving wm_char messages, even though the on-line
documentation states that wm_keydown messages (among others) will generate
a wm_char message, if applicable. Can you help?

--
Stefan Ellis
Faculty of Education, University of British Columbia

1. How can I display a child control on top of another child control?

When I dynamically create a control (Common control or ActiveX) as a child
window on top of another control, I am able to display the window on top of
the control(s) underneath. However,
when I size or Maximize the View then the control underneath shows thru the
top control, even though it's not possible to set focus to the bottom
control via the mouse. If I force WM_PAINT
by for e.g. moving another window on top of the view then everything goes
back to normal..

What I really want is the top control always stay on top and opaque until I
destroy or hide it.

I create the top control as a WS_CHILD | WS_CLIPCHILDREN | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS |
WS_OVERLAPPED
and then bring it to the top of Z order   by BringWindowToTop()

Any ideas as to what is happenning? Any comments are appreciated..

2. Will not download from microsoft servers

3. SubClassing Windows Edit control for Multi-Font & Color

4. traffic share feature

5. Newbie question on tabs & edit child control

6. Question about Clive Sinclair

7. Combobox Subclassing && TrackMouseEvent()

8. NW5 NLM's and their function

9. edit control can't be child of child?

10. Help:ACIVEX controls- subclassing Windows Control

11. hook & WM_CHAR question

12. trap wm_keydown& wm_char messages for a dialog

13. Subclassing a DlgItem for a child dialog