Getting Windows to accept my packets

Post by Brian Gu » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I am writing an NDIS driver and I can't get Windows to accept incoming
packets.  I receive a packet from the remote host and I can dump the
data and see that it is correct.  Then, I use NdisMEthIndicateReceive
and it returns without errors.  I also call
NdisMEthIndicateReceiveComplete after each NdisMEthIndicateReceive.

I am using NetXRay to view the network traffic and every packet that I
indicate to Windows shows up in NetXRay and is decoded without
problems.  But--my applications do no get any data.  I don't think
it's a problem with my applications because I have tested those on a
working network and they work fine.

I have noticed that one packet works.  When a remote machine sends me
an ARP request, I indicate the packet to Windows and Windows processes
it (adding the remote host to the ARP table) and replies.  But, when I
remove the entry from my ARP table and try to ping the remote host,
Windows sends an ARP request, which I send out to the remote host.
The remote host replied with an ARP reply, which I indicate to
Windows.  But--Windows does not add the remote host to the ARP table
and will not send out the ping packet.

Has anyone seen this before or can at least point me in the right
direction for help?

Thank you!!

Brian

Post by Brian Gu » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I am writing an NDIS driver and I can't get Windows to accept incoming
> packets.

I found my own problem.  Windows would not accept my packets when the
first byte of my MAC address was 0x67.  I changed it to 00 and all of
my problems went away.  (I wish I would have known this 3 weeks
ago!!!)

Brian

1. Getting all Packets sent to TCP/IP Layer on windows NT

Hi

Does anybody know how to intercept all the packets from the
miniport driver before it is been sent to the upper tcp/ip
protocol layer?

I tried a filter driver on top of tcp layer so that i can
at least see the applications talking to tcp/ip. I got the
system message that not enough IRP stack locations are there
in the requst that is been sent to the Tcp/ip driver by my filter
driver. I guess possibly some other driver has already layered
on top Tcp/ip driver even before my filter driver attached to
that...

Can any one help??

Thanx in Advance...

Rajesh C K R

---------------

Please remove the trailing _ of my email id before mailing me.

2. DEC LPv PC Cache Speed

3. List View sub Item does not accept more than accept more than 259 characters?

4. Startup programs not starting...

5. .NET accept blocks until the accepted connection is closed

6. Memory requirements for sparse LU

7. getting pid from an IO packet

8. The Key To Organizing Your Health Records

9. WinSock32:getting all IP-packets on the ethernet segment?

10. Getting raw ethernet packets out of CAsyncSocket ?

11. Getting number of packets captured

12. TCP Packet not getting response on local machine