OLE 1 and Structured Storage question

Post by Donald Pingu » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

This is an update to a question I posted a week ago.

I am writing a program that needs to get raw binary data from an Access
database.

I manually added a binary file into a table field in Access 97. Access
stores the file as an OLE Object (Thanks to some code provided by Mr.
Martel, I can see what is happening ).

When I retrieve the field, the code used converts the Ole Object into a
structured storage. Using DocFile Viewer I can see the layout of the
structure storage and have surmised that one of the streams
'|Ole10Native' contains the data I need. However, besides the size of
the stream, the stream contains some additional header information such
as the name of the file.  In fact the name of the file is included
twice.

Does anyone know how I can determine what this header information is? Is
there any reference I can use? I currently just use the MSDN library to
read up on Inside OLE and Structured Storage.

I compared two files and it looks like the header information is
variable.

Thanks,

Donald

Also,
If this is not the right newsgroup to post this into let me know. I've
decided not to post this question in several newsgroup so as not to
offend anyone.

OLE 1 and Structured Storage question

Post by Lorin McCaffre » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I doubt that I can help terribly much, however I did notice one thing:
The name of the stream you quoted starts with a '|' character.
Traditionally in structured storage, only property sets start with that
character (although there is no reason that a normal stream could as well).
I suggest you try the property set api's... pointing them to that stream and
seeing if they can open it.  The methods and interfaces you may need
include:
  StgCreatePropSetStg
  StgOpenPropStg
  IPropertySetStorage
  IPropertyStorage

Quote:>Hi,

>This is an update to a question I posted a week ago.

>I am writing a program that needs to get raw binary data from an Access
>database.

>I manually added a binary file into a table field in Access 97. Access
>stores the file as an OLE Object (Thanks to some code provided by Mr.
>Martel, I can see what is happening ).

>When I retrieve the field, the code used converts the Ole Object into a
>structured storage. Using DocFile Viewer I can see the layout of the
>structure storage and have surmised that one of the streams
>'|Ole10Native' contains the data I need. However, besides the size of
>the stream, the stream contains some additional header information such
>as the name of the file.  In fact the name of the file is included
>twice.

1. OLE Structured storage...summary information

Hello,

Do you know the binary(byte by byte) layout of the Summary Information
section of a structured storage document.  I am trying to implement a
program on a non-intel platform that can create Excel multi-sheet files.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Malcolm

2. Where is USYS:?

3. OLE Structured Storage Reference Source

4. Extremely long int

5. Anyone have detailed information on OLE structured storage/compound files?

6. need help with Cubase Lite + AWE32

7. OLE Structured Storage

8. Moving accounts from WinNT to Win2K DC

9. Access to OLE structured storage from DOS and 16-bit Windows

10. Newbie VC6 and Structured Storage Question

11. Structures Storage question

12. Structured Storage Question