Adding controls to main windows procedure in Vis C++

Adding controls to main windows procedure in Vis C++

Post by Andy Kle » Wed, 04 Aug 1993 12:45:09

     I just started Windows programming in C a week ago--I'm
making the transition from Visual Basic to Visual C++.  Compared
to Visual Basic, it seems to be a real pain to add controls
(checkboxes, etc.) to a main window procedure in Visual C++.  The
AppStudio is great for adding controls to dialog boxes, but not
for the main window procedure.

Is it possible to add controls to the main windows procedure with
AppStudio?

If I want to use lots of checkboxes, radiobuttons, etc on the
main window procedure what is the best way to go about this?

Can I replace the main window procedure with a modeless dialog
box?  (ie: use CreateDialog instead of CreateWindow)  Is this
okay programming practice?  This way I could use AppStudio...

Thanks...

| -Andy Klein-   Grade 12, Avon Lake High School, Ohio                    |

Post by Chris Marrio » Thu, 05 Aug 1993 03:57:53

>     I just started Windows programming in C a week ago--I'm
>making the transition from Visual Basic to Visual C++.  Compared
>to Visual Basic, it seems to be a real pain to add controls
>(checkboxes, etc.) to a main window procedure in Visual C++.  The
>AppStudio is great for adding controls to dialog boxes, but not
>for the main window procedure.

>Is it possible to add controls to the main windows procedure with
>AppStudio?

>If I want to use lots of checkboxes, radiobuttons, etc on the
>main window procedure what is the best way to go about this?

>Can I replace the main window procedure with a modeless dialog
>box?  (ie: use CreateDialog instead of CreateWindow)  Is this
>okay programming practice?  This way I could use AppStudio...

Use a "CFormView" - that's exactly what it's designed for!

Chris

| Warrington, UK                           | BIX: cmarriott              |
| Save the whales.  Collect the whole set. | CompuServe: 100113,1140     |

1. How do Vis Basic, Vis C++ 1.0 STD, and Turbo C++ Vis edition compare?

        I know visual basic is probably the easiest program to program windows
but I do need certain capabilities of C/C++ language in  my programming.  So
if anyone can give me a better idea just hard much harder is programming in
a C++ is compared to in Visual Basic, and also which is easier, Vis C++ 1.0
STANDARD, or Turbo C++ Visual Edition. (I don't need to program all those other
fancy stuff in windows, just a simple GUI and some graphs).  My computer
is very thin:  386 DX 40, SVGA, 85 meg stacked to 200, and no CDROM..
oh, 4 meg ram.

        Thanks for any help!!!

2. Peer to Peer: Lantastic for OS/2

3. How to add additional Commands to Add-Ins (C++)

4. plans: local dimming

5. COM Add-in vs. Automation vs. Word Add-ins vs...

6. Library Management project

7. Excel add-ins (XLLs) in Visual C++

8. What is HIL

9. Visual C++ 5.0 Power Add-Ins

10. Adding the Windows procedure in a class

11. Question re: Windows/C++ and Winamp plugin(vis)