Can I make Borland Turbo C++ for Windows 4.5 make a DOS (non-windows) program?

Can I make Borland Turbo C++ for Windows 4.5 make a DOS (non-windows) program?

Post by Mar » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

I am using Borland's Turbo C++ For Windows 4.5 to code some CGI apps.
These are fairly simple programs, and I just need them to run
text-based on the command line. I don't need a console window for
stdout, etc. I would also like to be able to redirect stdin and
stdout, but stdout is always creating a new window for output.

I'd also like to be able to run these programs on a DOS-only machine.
In other words, I'm using Windows as my development envrionment, but I
don't need any Windows programming features. :)

Can I get TC++ to produce some plain-vanilla text-only executables,
with redirectable stdout, stderr, and stdaux?
---

Mark Landin                   "For anyone who was never good at
T. D. Williamson, Inc.         anything, technology has been a
UNIX Sys. Admin                real boon" --- my mom

Post by John A. Gran » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

>I am using Borland's Turbo C++ For Windows 4.5 to code some CGI apps.
>These are fairly simple programs, and I just need them to run
>text-based on the command line. I don't need a console window for
>stdout, etc. I would also like to be able to redirect stdin and
>stdout, but stdout is always creating a new window for output.

>I'd also like to be able to run these programs on a DOS-only machine.
>In other words, I'm using Windows as my development envrionment, but I
>don't need any Windows programming features. :)

>Can I get TC++ to produce some plain-vanilla text-only executables,
>with redirectable stdout, stderr, and stdaux?

    I don't have BC++ 4.x here, but BC++ 5.02 can create both
    16-bit DOS apps and 32-bit Win32 console apps.  Set your
    "Target type" to "Application (EXE) and set your "Platform"
    to either "DOS (standard)" or "Win32"

--
John A. Grant  * I speak only for myself *  (remove 'z' to reply)
Airborne Geophysics, Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa

Post by Revolv » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

>I am using Borland's Turbo C++ For Windows 4.5 to code some CGI apps.
>These are fairly simple programs, and I just need them to run
>text-based on the command line. I don't need a console window for
>stdout, etc. I would also like to be able to redirect stdin and
>stdout, but stdout is always creating a new window for output.

>I'd also like to be able to run these programs on a DOS-only machine.
>In other words, I'm using Windows as my development envrionment, but I
>don't need any Windows programming features. :)

>Can I get TC++ to produce some plain-vanilla text-only executables,
>with redirectable stdout, stderr, and stdaux?
>---

>Mark Landin                   "For anyone who was never good at
>T. D. Williamson, Inc.         anything, technology has been a
>UNIX Sys. Admin                real boon" --- my mom

Try the command-line compiler 'bcc.exe'

(Is that what you meant?)

Post by The African Chi » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

> I am using Borland's Turbo C++ For Windows 4.5 to code some CGI apps.
[...]
> Can I get TC++ to produce some plain-vanilla text-only executables,
> with redirectable stdout, stderr, and stdaux?

IIRC TC++ is Windows only. Seems like you might need BC++
instead. If you are writing plain C++ without using any WinAPI
function or any of the OWL features, you might be able to
recompile the same app with an older version of TC++ for Dos,
or even use GCC.

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Dr. A*la A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)

Homepage: http://www.veryComputer.com/
Author of: Chief's Installer Pro v5.00 for Win32
     ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win95/install/chief500.zip

1. HELP PLEASE Borland Turbo C++ for Windows 4.5

I am using the Borland Turbo C++ for Windows 4.5.  I just bought it the
other day and am already having problems with it.  Every time I try to "make
and run the current program," it tells me there is an error.  The error is
as follows:

Compiling LAB01.CPP:
Fatal C:\TCWIN45\INCLUDE\IOSTREAM.H 27: Unable to create output file
'C:\TEMP\lab01.obj'

I know this is a problem with the compiler, not the program because I can
run the program at other computers running the same software.

I don't know if it helps, but here is the program I am trying to run (I
chose the shortest one I have to try out):

#include <iostream.h>

void main()
{
   int dummy;
   cout << " HELLO WORLD !!" << endl;
   cout << endl << " Hi MOM, I'm here at Winthrop University" << endl;
   cout << "  and having lots of fun in my CSCI 207 class..." << endl;
   cout << endl << endl << endl;
   cout << "Enter a number to close the window and EXIT---";
   cin >> dummy;

Please help me!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

2. How to plot own graph (four quadrants)

3. Borland C++ 4.5 vs Turbo C++ 3.1 Visual Edition

4. notes mail and the internet

5. Turbo C++ Windows vs. Borland C++ Windows?

6. VC++ 5.0 Studio Issues

7. I'm selling my BORLAND C++ version 4.5 (not turbo version) cheap!

8. ( BW)(CA-VLSI)(VLSI) VLSI Announces JumpStartXE: A New Multi-Core

9. Borland Turbo C++ 4.5 - 4 sale

10. Making a switch from DOS to Windows programming

11. Borland Turbo C++ 4.5 Inquiry

12. Boot sector writing with borland turbo c++ 4.5

13. Programming Windows 95 Book good with Borland 4.5?