True Type font won't work on Win 95?

Post by stvh.. » Tue, 09 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'm developing an app. in Visual Basic 3.0 that requires a special font so that it can display certain
foreign characters.  I'm devloping on a Win 3.11 system.  To display the foreign characters, I
simply went into the standard Windows app. "Character Map" and examined my special font
(which is True Type).  I saw at which ASCII values the characters I wanted were located using
"Character Map", and in Visual Basic I just use "Print chr$(x)" to display them, substituting the
appropriate ASCII value for "x".  This works fine on my system.  But when I sent both the special
font and my app to a friend to test it out on his Win 95 system, he said the foreign characters just
showed up as "boxes".  Why is this?  Is there an incompatibility with fonts on Win 95?  How can I
solve this?  I obviously want my app to work on Win 95 as well as Win 3.1 and 3.11.
Thanks for any help!

True Type font won't work on Win 95?

Post by Edward J Kalen » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

You might have your friend check to be sure he installed the font. Just
having it present is not enough. I sent a program to a client while it
was still in development and he didn't bother to read the instructions
I sent with it, so he did not install the fonts I was using and he got
similar results. Now I always send things as packages that use the
installer I will be using for the final release.

PS: Please format your postings for an 80 column screen by hitting CR
near the 78th column. Many of us use software that does not do nice
things like word wrap for long lines. It is easier to answer questions
when the text is easy to read.

--

Ed

1. IPX won't work in WIN 95

Can anyone give me a hint on a network problem in WIN 95. A have a LAN in my
house with 3 computers, based alone on Windows 95. The 2 computers are
alright, but the third won't run the IPX protocol, NET DIAG reports ERROR:
Can't open IPX-socket. File and printer sharing works fine, but no games.
The TCP/IP won't work either as LAN-protocol. The computer is a pentium II,
233 MHz, 64 Mb RAM, PCI, and the netcard is a PCI Kingston Ethernet card. I
have tried another card - same error. Windows and the supplied diagnostic
program reports the same IO and IRQ, and Windows report no conflicts. Is it
a PnP problem? Can it be bypassed?

Grateful for any help

2. X2 reconnecting -- I have to cycle my modem off/on to make it work.

3. MS Access 97 for Win 95 and MS Access Developer's Toolkit for Win 95

4. Mounting/reading IDE CDROM???

5. Font API-calls for WIN 3.1 and WIN 95 ?????

6. Ok, so I'm a newbie

7. HELP - Error 50003 - VB5, Win 95, Win 98, Win NT

8. Free PM course

9. MSDN WIN 95 DDK KBD DRIVER SAMPLE WON'T COMPILE

10. Win 95 won't "Quick View" files ie: JPG

11. Win NT & Win'95 Print to File

12. Can't Access [SOUNDS] in Win 95 Win.ini