Printer driver custom Win95 installation INF file problem.

Post by David Blo » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>    I'm not sure if this is really the correct place for this, but I couldn't
>see anywhere better....

>    I'm trying to create a Win 95 INF installation file to install my printer
>driver and an associated data file. I would like the data file to be
>installed into a directory off the boot drive (eg. c:\cs300 ), The driver
>installs OK, but the data file is always installed into the data file into
>the windir\system directory. What am I doing wrong ?

>    My INF file is attached.
>--
>Scott Hill

>Software Engineer (and all round nice guy)

>"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
>exist..."
>                                                            - Verbal Kent.

>"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
> particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.
>begin 600 Oemsetup.inf
>M6U9E<G-I;VY=#0I3:6=N871U<F4](B1#2$E#04=/)"(-"G9E<CTP,"XP,"XP

>M#0I;4V]U<F-E1&ES:TYA;65S70T*,3TB5F5N9&]R(%-U<'!L:65D(BPL,# P

>M(D-A<F13=&%R(#,P,"(]1')I=F5R#0H-"EM$<FEV97)=#0I$<FEV97)&:6QE
>M/6-S,S P.34N9')V#0I$871A1FEL93UC<S,P,#DU+F1R=B -"D-O<'E&:6QE

>M8W,S,# Y-2YD<G8],0T*8W,S,#!T8RYD870],0T*#0I;1&5S=&EN871I;VY$

>`
>end

I believe that all printer driver files (including data files) must be
installed in the Printer driver directory. Under WIn95, this is
normally win/system, under NT, you can call GetPrinterDriverDirectory
to find out where to install them.

David Block

Printer driver custom Win95 installation INF file problem.

Post by Chris Marriot » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I believe that all printer driver files (including data files) must be
>installed in the Printer driver directory. Under WIn95, this is
>normally win/system, under NT, you can call GetPrinterDriverDirectory
>to find out where to install them.

That's correct. A printer has three files associated with it:

 - The printer driver itself.
 - A "data file".
 - A "config file".

These can all be the same file (as they are, for example, in the case of
the HP LaserJet family), or they can all be different (as they are with
PostScript printers).

They must all be in the printer driver directory, and the correct way to
get this on both Win95 and WinNT is by calling
"GetPrinterDriverDirectory".

Chris

Chris Marriott, Microsoft Certified Solution Developer.

Visit our web site at http://www.skymap.com

Post by Scott Hil » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> >I believe that all printer driver files (including data files) must be
> >installed in the Printer driver directory. Under WIn95, this is
> >normally win/system, under NT, you can call GetPrinterDriverDirectory
> >to find out where to install them.

> That's correct. A printer has three files associated with it:

>  - The printer driver itself.
>  - A "data file".
>  - A "config file".

> These can all be the same file (as they are, for example, in the case of
> the HP LaserJet family), or they can all be different (as they are with
> PostScript printers).

> They must all be in the printer driver directory, and the correct way to
> get this on both Win95 and WinNT is by calling
> "GetPrinterDriverDirectory".

        Yeah, I know this, but, I have other data files, i.e. not the "printer
data file", that my driver needs access to (data to do with variations in
the way the printer works, which must be loaded at run-time). Rather than
installing these into the windows/system directory I would like to install
them to another directory, which would I could then get the name of by
including it in an .ini file.

        I've come up against a couple more problems as well :

        I can't get dirids to work in some cases. As I hinted above, I have the
.inf file set up to create an .ini file with a entry showing the
installation directory of the data files. As I can't get the .inf file to
install them into a different directory I thought I try a temporary work
around and just set the .ini file to point to the windows\system directory.
Which I've done thus :

[UpdateCS30095.ini]
%10%\cs30095.ini,General,CS300Path,*,C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\,1

Now, the %10% part works just fine, but what if the user doesn't have Win95
installed in the c:\windows directory ? I've tried the following :

[UpdateCS30095.ini]
%10%\cs30095.ini,General,CS300Path,*,%11%,1

and :

[UpdateCS30095.ini]
%10%\cs30095.ini,General,CS300Path,*,%IniDir%,1

[Strings]
IniDir=%11%

but both of these just put "%11%" into the .ini file. Why ?

        Also one of my data files is ~2Mb ! The driver needs to ship on floppies!
Is there a mechanism in .inf files to automatically extract files from .cab
files ? Or do I have to write a VendorSetup dll? and how can I create .cab
files in the first place? I've tried searching the MSDN (both on CD and on
the web) but all I've found is stuff specific to ActiveX controls!

--
Scott Hill

Software Engineer (and all round nice guy)

"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
exist..."
                                                                - Verbal Kent.

"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
 particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.

1. NT 4.0 video driver installation inf file or registry problems?

Hi,

I am trying to install a video miniport and display driver under NT 4.0,
and have used the \DDK\src\setup\inf\video\i386\videoinf.exe utility
to generate an inf file. Per usual, I can find no documentation on
the format of video inf files or on the videoinf.exe utility. After
some trial and error (I was not able to get debug prints to work
in the inf file), I succeeded in getting a generated inf file
to install my miniport and display driver. However, every time I reboot,
the Display Properties applet is started, with a pop-up message that
video is improperly configured. No matter how many times I reconfigure,
the Display Properties applet always starts on reboot! The video
attributes are correct, and my drivers appear to be properly installed.

Does anyone know what triggers the display applet to start on reboot?

Is there any NT 4.0 documentation on video inf files, videoinf.exe,
and video related registry keys?

It appears that many video card vendors now use setup utilities instead
of inf files. Presumably there is no requirement for an inf file.
What video registry keys need to be created and / or deleted
by an installation program?

Thanks,

David Schwartz
Marathon Technologies Corp.

  dschwartz.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Win95 CW Pro resource compiler and LISTBOXes

3. Automatical driver installation (.inf-File)

4. Te Koop: Sharp PDA Zaurus ZR-5800

5. NT display driver installation(C/C++) program using .inf file

6. can't boot from CDROM

7. Regarding oemsetup.inf file for a printer driver

8. How is web browsing on a Pocket PC?

9. printer driver / inf-file format

10. NT4 printer driver INF path problem

11. Printer driver & vxd installation problem.

12. Driver and inf file debugging problems

13. Problem with Win95 Printer driver properties dialog box.