Help: Button-less dialog boxes for displaying text?

Help: Button-less dialog boxes for displaying text?

Post by Steve Frampt » Sat, 11 Mar 1995 02:49:45

Hello:

I'd like to implement a button-less dialog box for displaying things like "One
moment please..." or "Creating database file", etc.  Keeping the user informed
instead of just seeing an hourglass and wondering whether or not it's time for
the 3-finger salute would be nice.  I wouldn't mind something like MessageBox,
only without button...I don't want the user to be able to switch away, resize,
or move this window either.  After the lengthy operation is completed, I could
then destroy the window.

Also, in the BC development IDE, the parent window has a status bar on the
bottom, containing the current date/time, and other information.  I'd like to
implement something like this, where I can display one-line "hint"
information, depending on what the user is doing.  This information would
appear on the bottom of my parent window.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

--< MAKE MONEY FAST!!!  Contact Dave Rhodes for details. >--

Post by Alfie Kirkpatri » Wed, 15 Mar 1995 22:33:35

: Hello:

: I'd like to implement a button-less dialog box for displaying things like "One
: moment please..." or "Creating database file", etc.  Keeping the user informed
: instead of just seeing an hourglass and wondering whether or not it's time for
: the 3-finger salute would be nice.  I wouldn't mind something like MessageBox,
: only without button...I don't want the user to be able to switch away, resize,
: or move this window either.  After the lengthy operation is completed, I could
: then destroy the window.

If it's a lengthy operation, the user should be able to switch away. Have
a look at "How to use PeekMessage correctly" in the MS Programming Tips
help file. This tells you how to put your processing into the background
so the user can carry on with other things. As for your information
dialogue, why not:

 - create a modal dialogue without a title bar or any buttons - just some
   static text. That way they can't resize/move/switch back to parent.

 - in WM_INITDIALOG, PostMessage yourself a message (eg. WM_USER+1).

 - on WM_USER+1, go into a PeekMessage loop and do your processing.

 - when finished do EndDialog.

You need to post yourself a message since in WM_INITDIALOG, the dialogue
hasn't been drawn yet.

: Also, in the BC development IDE, the parent window has a status bar on the
: bottom, containing the current date/time, and other information.  I'd like to
: implement something like this, where I can display one-line "hint"
: information, depending on what the user is doing.  This information would
: appear on the bottom of my parent window.

Can't help you here, though there's lots of posts on status bars...

Alfie.

| Alfie Kirkpatrick           PPS, ICL           |
| external: 0344 472500       Lovelace Road      |
| internal: 7263 2500         Bracknell, Berks   |

Help: Button-less dialog boxes for displaying text?

Post by RL Ioannis-Antonio » Fri, 17 Mar 1995 19:46:21

FTP to ftp.microsoft.com in the directory softlib/mslfiles

You want the file STATBAR.EXE - its a self-extracting archive.

Hope this helps.

> : Also, in the BC development IDE, the parent window has a status bar on the
> : bottom, containing the current date/time, and other information.  I'd like to
> : implement something like this, where I can display one-line "hint"
> : information, depending on what the user is doing.  This information would
> : appear on the bottom of my parent window.

1. Need help displaying a dialog box before main window is displayed

 I need her with a dialog bix I want to display before a user sees a main
window. I want the user to enter a name and a password before they can access
a program. I am using Borland C++ 4.0 and I would appreciate it if someone can
please e-mail me with help on how to diplay this dialog box and retrieve data
from it. I've managed to diaplay the dialog box which is begin called in
the InitMainWindow() function of my application derived from TApplication(), but
when I click on "OK", my program locks up. i don't understand. I tried to
override the CmOK() function provided by the TDialog class, but my program locks
up. I really need this feature in my program as it will also help me with other
parts of my program that I am working on. Thanks. I can be e-mailed at

TK

2. Computer freezing up

3. Displaying a second DIALOG BOX from another DIALOG BOX????

4. Video Hangs Money99 After Installing Windows Media Player 6

5. What modem for unidirectional radio link

6. Display text in dialog box with TextOut()

7. WIN95 VISIGENIC ODBC DRIVER

8. Displaying non-static text in dialog boxes.

9. Displaying multi-colored text in (rich) text boxes?

10. BUFFERING A TEXT FILE INTO 64k CHUNKS AND DISPLAYING THOSE CHUNKS IN A TEXT BOX SMOOTHLY

11. HELP! Dialog Boxes within Dialog Boxes!

12. Help With Text Box & Button Commands!