How do I run a DOS program without a DOS Box????

How do I run a DOS program without a DOS Box????

Post by Ian Munr » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
Does anyone know how to execute a DOS program from within a C or
Pascal Windows exe without windows creating a DOS box to run the
program in?
I know it's possible because i've got some software which
executes DOS programs but pipes the output directly to a text
window within the executable. The software apears to use a DLL
called DOSEXEC.DLL.
Has anyone evercome across this or know how the trick is
performed?

Thanks

Ian

Post by Peter van Lonkhuyze » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,
> Does anyone know how to execute a DOS program from within a C or
> Pascal Windows exe without windows creating a DOS box to run the
> program in?
> I know it's possible because i've got some software which
> executes DOS programs but pipes the output directly to a text
> window within the executable. The software apears to use a DLL
> called DOSEXEC.DLL.
> Has anyone evercome across this or know how the trick is
> performed?

> Thanks

> Ian

The way I have done it is to create a PIF file for the Dos app to run
the app in a window and launch the app with

 ShellExecute(mywindowhandle,'open',mypif.pif, '','',SW_HIDE);

I don't know how the piping works but there are a number of articles on
how to communicate with windows from dos.

HTH
Peter

1. how to run a DOS program without DOS window

I want to run some DOS program like arj and similar from my windows
application, as WinZip does, how can I avoid the "prompt of MS-DOS" window
to be opened (I don't need it)?
Of course I also want that my program stops until arj or pkunzip terminated
his work.
What function should I use: spawn, WinExec, or what?
thank you

2. REQ: Time-Stretching documents

3. DOS program to run Windows program from a DOS shell

4. acmsetup.exe and fs6

5. Disable 'close' button for NTVDM dos box running DOS app

6. can i mount a .dsk? and extract filez?

7. How to distinguish Dos and Dos Box under Windows in run time.

8. SCSI card recommendation??

9. Redirecting output of DOS app run in DOS box

10. Running graphical dos program under dos shell window

11. Running DOS programs from Win and Win from DOS

12. set title bar of DOS box via DOS program?

13. Program crashed under DOS, fails in DOS box - HELP PLEASE