TAPI versions 1.3 & 1.4

Post by e » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Does anybody know whether TAPI V1.3 only works with 16 bits programs
running in Windows 3.1 (and not with 16 bit programs running in W95/W98)?.

This is what the documentation seems to suggest...or am I wrong??

ed

TAPI versions 1.3 & 1.4

Post by Bruce Pennypacke » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Does anybody know whether TAPI V1.3 only works with 16 bits programs
> running in Windows 3.1 (and not with 16 bit programs running in W95/W98)?.

> This is what the documentation seems to suggest...or am I wrong??

TAPI 1.3 was developed specifically for Windows 3.x & WFW before Win95
was released.  Any application should be able to negotiate 1.3 on any
Windows platform if they want to - whether the app is 16-bit or 32-bit
shouldn't matter.  (However a 32-bit TAPI app most likely will not run
on Win3.x/WFW using Win32S.)  The negotiation would return version 1.3
only if the app mad a max API version of 1.3 and the TSP being
negotiated with also supported 1.3.  I believe that Unimodem &
Unimodem/V on Win95 will negotiate as low as 1.3, however I'm not sure
about Win98 & NT.

-Bruce

--
TAPI FAQ: http://members.tripod.com/~tapifaq

TAPI versions 1.3 & 1.4

Post by Johan Myrberge » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Not sure what part of TAPI you mean by TAPI V1.3...

TAPI 1.3 is for Win3.x and need both the TSP and TAPI app to be 16 bit.

What exactly are you aiming at?

Basically there's three levels; The TSP, the core TAPI files and the
TAPI application.

- TAPI 1.3 TSPs: These will work in Win95 and theoretically in Win98.
Some compatibility issues has been seen, so youneed to test and possibly
make some small changes in the TSP.

- Core TAPI files: For TAPI 1.3 these are only meant to run in Win3.x.
It is possible to install them on other Windows version as well, but a)
This will make the existing "core TAPI" to be confused or disabled and
b) it's not a suppoprted configuration.

- TAPI app: This is perhaps what your asking for... It is possible to
write TAPI aps that will work both on Win3.x and Win95 (and other
Windows versions as well) This basically means to write an TAPI 1.3 app.
If the application is originaly developed for Win95 it's probably
identifying itself as a TAPI 1.4 app. and might have some compatibility
issues.

Regards
/Johan Myrberger

> Does anybody know whether TAPI V1.3 only works with 16 bits programs
> running in Windows 3.1 (and not with 16 bit programs running in W95/W98)?.

> This is what the documentation seems to suggest...or am I wrong??

> ed

TAPI versions 1.3 & 1.4

Post by e » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Thanks Johan and Bruce,

In order to clarify the question: I have a client who has an existing 16
bit application he wishes to have a TAPI interface added to, the
workstations are W95. Sounds straightforward.

However, the confusing bit is in Microsoft's documentation where it
apparently says this is not possible (i.e. using TAPI when running a 16
bit program on a W95 platform) The MS documentation says (and I quote
verbatim):

"TAPI version 1.3 (sometimes referred to as TAPI 1.03) was the first
released version of the TAPI specification. The TAPI 1.3 system binaries
(TAPI.DLL and others) are only found in the TAPI 1.0 SDK, which can only
be found on the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Level II subscription.
The system binaries (found in the REDIST directory) are redistributable
but are designed only to run on Microsoft Windows 3.1 and Windows for
Workgroups 3.11. They are not supported (and won't work) on any version of
Microsoft Windows 95/98 or Microsoft Windows NT".

So the way I understand it, a 16 bit program with TAPI won't work on a W95
workstation. Am I right???

TIA

ed

Quote:> TAPI 1.3 was developed specifically for Windows 3.x & WFW before Win95
> was released.  Any application should be able to negotiate 1.3 on any
> Windows platform if they want to - whether the app is 16-bit or 32-bit
> shouldn't matter.  (However a 32-bit TAPI app most likely will not run
> on Win3.x/WFW using Win32S.)  The negotiation would return version 1.3
> only if the app mad a max API version of 1.3 and the TSP being
> negotiated with also supported 1.3.  I believe that Unimodem &
> Unimodem/V on Win95 will negotiate as low as 1.3, however I'm not sure
> about Win98 & NT.

> -Bruce

TAPI versions 1.3 & 1.4

Post by Bruce Pennypacke » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> So the way I understand it, a 16 bit program with TAPI won't work on a W95
> workstation. Am I right???

What you read was a little misleading - it was probably written a long
time ago.  The short answer to your question is that you can write a
16-bit TAPI application that will run on Win95, 98, or NT.  You will
need to linke with TAPI.LIB (which is the interface for TAPI.DLL)
instead of TAPI32.LIB and TAPI32.DLL.  You'll find both TAPI.DLL and
TAPI32.DLL in your Win95\system directory.

As far as 16-bit and 32-bit TAPI apps, etc. are concerned in general:

On Win3.x everything related to TAPI is/must be 16-bit.

On Win95, the underlying TAPI code in the operating system is 16-bit and
all TSP's (Unimodem, etc.) must also be 16-bit or at least have 16-bit
interfaces (some third party TSP's like those from Rhetorex & Dialogic
are actually 32-bit but use a thunking layer to handle the 16-bit TSP
API).  TAPI applications can be either 16-bit or 32-bit. On Win95,
TAPI32.DLL is simply a thunking layer that communicates to the 16-bit
TAPI code in the OS.

On NT, the underlying TAPI code in the OS is 32-bit as are all TSP's.
Furthermore, TSP's must be written using Unicode rather than ANSI.
Again applications can be 16-bit or 32-bit, however I'd be willing to
bet that Microsoft will stop supporting 16-bit apps on NT eventually.

-Bruce

--
TAPI FAQ: http://members.tripod.com/~tapifaq

TAPI versions 1.3 & 1.4

Post by e » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Thanks again Bruce, very helpful.
I have to advise a client on this topic, and MS documentation is not very
clear. In fact, the stuff on TAPI 1.3 has nearly dissapeared from the MSDN
CDs.

ed

Quote:

> What you read was a little misleading - it was probably written a long
> time ago.  The short answer to your question is that you can write a
> 16-bit TAPI application that will run on Win95, 98, or NT.  You will
> need to linke with TAPI.LIB (which is the interface for TAPI.DLL)
> instead of TAPI32.LIB and TAPI32.DLL.  You'll find both TAPI.DLL and
> TAPI32.DLL in your Win95\system directory.

TAPI versions 1.3 & 1.4

Post by E Daniel Christof » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

To add to Bruce's explaination a bit.  We have a write-up with graphic about
this on our site at http://www.exceletel.com/.  Follow the About Telephony
link to Microsoft Windows Telephony Architecture.

Our TAPI tools, ExceleTel TeleTools, may help you with your project as well.

With regards,

-edan
ExceleTel Inc.