Two machines listening the same IP address

Two machines listening the same IP address

Post by je.. » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:33:07

I wrote a custom web server, using winsock.

For fault tolerance, I want to run this web server in two or more machines. My
objective is that if, at least, one machine is working the service will be
available.

The machines can comunicate among themselves and detect if any other machine
has crashed. They can also use HTTP redirect to do load balance.

The problem is that external users will try to access the service using a DNS
name (say www.mypersonaldomain.com) which will be resolved to one IP
address.

If I have only one machine bound to this IP address and if this machine is
down their attempt to access the service will fail in spite of the other
(working) machines.

Is there a (non messy) way to bind two machines to the same ip address ?

What else can I do ?

How do general purpose web servers like IIS and Apache solve this problem ?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge

Two machines listening the same IP address

Post by Steve Alper » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 03:16:07

    ...[stuff deleted]...

Quote:>Is there a (non messy) way to bind two machines to the same ip address ?

If this were possible, someone could "steal" data bound for you.  Perhaps the
best you could do is have the second machine ping the first until a ping fails
and then have it change its address.

Alternatively, look at putting a router in front of the boxes.  It will do
fail-over and/or load-balancing for you...

/steve

        IDX Systems Corp.   Boston, Massachusetts