DOS-extended apps crash in a DOS window

Post by Jeff Sto » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have 3 DOS executables (PC-Lint, MS VC++ v8, and PKZIP) that crash
with the same GPE message when I run them in a Win95 DOS window on my
new ThinkPad laptop.  The same .EXE files run OK under other conditions:

- under DOS on my old TI laptop;
- in a WFWG DOS window on the old laptop
- under DOS on the new laptop
- in a Win95 DOS window on a friend's machine;

The only thing I see in common is that these executables run with
a DOS extender.

The new machine runs its POST and its diagnostics with no errors.

Has anyone solved a similar problem where the same executable runs in
several environments but not in a Win95 DOS window?  Any suggestions
appreciated.

Jeff Stone
--
**  To reply by mail, use std instead of stx

DOS-extended apps crash in a DOS window

Post by Eckhard Schwab » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello
I heard that Win95b has some Problems with Dos-Extenders which run fine
under Win95a. Maybe you habe OSR2 and your Friend has the old Windows95.

Ecki

1. Program crashed under DOS, fails in DOS box - HELP PLEASE

I hvae a program which is compiled with Zortech C V3.0r3 using the 32 bit
DOS mode and linked usingn a recent version of FlashTek's X32VM.  This runs
when used under DOS but fails with a stack error when run in a Windows DOS
box.  I suspect that DPMI is allocating insufficient memory for the stack,
but I cannot find out how I could change this.

Any help will be much appreciated.  Email or post here.

Thank you
John
Dr John P. Fletcher
Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry,
Aston University,         Tel: (44) 21 359 3611 ext 4625

2. 2 DSL into 1 Netgear ??

3. Access NT TCP/IP from DOS app, or NT<->DOS IPC

4. object contruction/destruction in c++, design flaw?

5. Disable 'close' button for NTVDM dos box running DOS app

6. ignore

7. Redirecting output of DOS app run in DOS box

8. msn stuff

9. How to kill a DOS-app from inside a Windows app?

10. Can DOS apps talk to Windows apps?

11. Run DOS app invisibly and capture output to Windows app?

12. Fullscreen DOS app called from windows app

13. Running DOS-Apps in a window of a Win16-App