Little yellow folders

Post by Nina Mohadj » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

hi all,

i tried to post this help request from another source but it seemed like
it didn't go thru. if you are reading this twice, i apologize.
now the question,

how do i produce the same style directory list boxes as the file open
dialog box (in commdlg.dll) with the little yellow folders next to the
dir names. do i have to create
them myself or is there a helper development kit available.

please advise.

thanks,
rh
--

The opinions expressed here are from Robert Hashemian not Nina Mohadjer.
HEY, WAKE UP AND GO TO SLEEP!!!                        THE THREE STOOGES -

Little yellow folders

Post by Hesham Mohieddin Abobakr Elghar » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I am developing an application in VB 3.0 . The COMPRESS.EXE utility that
comes with VB 3.0 does not do a good job in compressing files. I noticed
that the COMPRESS.EXE that comes with Access Destribution Kit compresses
files 20% smaller in size.

I noticed that both installation utilities use the same VER.DLL which
contains the function VerInstallFile that is called to decompress in
windows. So I compressed the files with the ADK version and tried to
install it using the VB setup program.

But the VB setup kit would copy the files without decompressing them,
even though the VerInstallFile call to VER.DLL returns 0 when called from VB,
which I assume means no error.

Note that the COMPRESS.EXE of the ADK has a lot of switches compared to
that of the VB. Example it can select which algoritm to use, split files,...

My question is: Has anyone found a better freeware/shareware setup utility
that compresses better that the VB COmpress.exe ? Is there a way around
to use the COMPRESS.exe of the ADK and call the functions successfully from VB?

Thank you very much.
  HESHAM ELGHARIB             31280 GATECH STATION, Atlanta, GA, 30332

[...]

Post by Chris Marriot » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>hi all,

>i tried to post this help request from another source but it seemed like
>it didn't go thru. if you are reading this twice, i apologize.
>now the question,

>how do i produce the same style directory list boxes as the file open
>dialog box (in commdlg.dll) with the little yellow folders next to the
>dir names. do i have to create
>them myself or is there a helper development kit available.

There's a sample program "HIERLIST" on the Dev Lib CD-ROM and other usual
sources which illustrates how to write a "hierarchical listbox" such as
the ones used in File Manager and the File Selector dialogs.

Chris
 Chris Marriott, Warrington, UK      | Author of SkyMap v2 award-winning

            For full info, see http://www.execpc.com/~skymap
      Author member of Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP)

1. Get Yellow Folder Using SHGetFileInfo For ListView

I found the following old message which describes the exact same
problem that I am having.  Certainly, many people have experienced
this same problem.  If you know the solution,

Please respond. (Microsoft, clean code/docs helps us not waste time).

Thanks,

-John-