writing an installation program

Post by Christer Gessl » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I'm going to write an installation program that'll be run under Windows.
The installation of most professional packages have the same look-and-
feel which leads me to believe that there is some standard installation
program generator or skeleton with which you can easily build such
utilities.  Is this the case?  It seems ridiculous to have to redesign
the gadgetry every time you put together a software package.
--

<  Stockholm, Sweden   www:   http://www.nada.kth.se/~d94-cge/  >
<                      phone: +46-70-7687173                    >

Post by Ef » Wed, 17 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I'm going to write an installation program that'll be run under Windows.
>The installation of most professional packages have the same look-and-
>feel which leads me to believe that there is some standard installation
>program generator or skeleton with which you can easily build such
>utilities.  Is this the case?  It seems ridiculous to have to redesign
>the gadgetry every time you put together a software package.
>--

><  Stockholm, Sweden   www:   http://www.nada.kth.se/~d94-cge/  >
><                      phone: +46-70-7687173                    >

Efi

Post by A.A. Olowofoye » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: I'm going to write an installation program that'll be run under Windows.
: The installation of most professional packages have the same look-and-
: feel which leads me to believe that there is some standard installation
: program generator or skeleton with which you can easily build such
: utilities.  Is this the case?

No, it isn't. All that happens is that people tend to buy ready-made
installers. Any good installer is easily customisable for any and every type
of application. See Chief's Installer Pro (location in my .Sig below).

: It seems ridiculous to have to redesign the gadgetry every time you put
: together a software package.

It is. It is like reinventing the wheel.

The Chief
--------
Dr. A*la A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)

Author of: Chief's Installer Pro 2.80a for Win16 and Win32:
           Winner of PC PLUS Magazine Gold Award (April 1995 U.K. edition)
           ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win3/util/cinstp28.zip

1. Question on writing Setup installation program

Hi, I've written a "Setup" program using Microsoft Test to install
my Windows application, which functions as expected.

Does anyone out there know how to replace the blue "Microsoft Setup"
screen with my own bitmap or other material?

Thanks much,

Kris

--
Kriston M. Bruland          |    . .         . .      . . .      .       . .

2. sms2.0 - Discovery Phase HELP!!!

3. writing an installation program

4. 4DOS and Netware

5. How to write an installation program to create icons?

6. ASDG Twin-X & GPIB

7. HELP: Writing installation programs

8. Custom Control

9. Q:How to write installation programs? (InstallSheld)

10. Installation of Fonts in Windows NT via Installation Program (here Installshield)

11. Couble a DLL written in C be used by a Program written in MFC Appwizard?

12. Help, looking how to write printer driver installation?

13. How to write a WIndows shell program for Legacy DOS command line program?