debugger: seeing strings, evaluate arbitrary expressions, real watchpoints

debugger: seeing strings, evaluate arbitrary expressions, real watchpoints

Post by Steven Tolki » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

In the Microsoft Visual C++ de*:

Q1.  How can I see the full value of a very long string?  I can use the
memory window for this, but the hex dump just wastes space.  Is there
anyplace else that does not truncate the display after about 250
characters?

Q2.  Is there any place to evaluate arbitrary expressions, e.g.
strlen(somestring)?

Q3.  How can I create a real watch point, i.e. one that causes a break
when the value of the variable changes?

Q4.  How can I specify that I want to watch e.g. somearray[0] through
somearray[10] and have this remembered across debugging sessions?

Thanks,
Steve
---

Fidelity Investments   82 Devonshire St. R24D    Boston MA 02109
There is nothing so practical as a good theory.  Comments are by me,
not Fidelity Investments, its subsidiaries or affiliates.