dcom books for beginners

Post by Percy Yi » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to write a DCOM server.  Can anyone suggest a good and easy to
follow DCOM book?  I have successfully written a COM, but have problems of
converting it to DCOM.

dcom books for beginners

Post by Alexander Nickolo » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

'Professional DCOM Programming', Dr Richard Grimes, Wrox Press.
Forget about the name - if you know COM you're not a beginner...

--
===============================
Alexander Nickolov, MCP

===============================

>I am trying to write a DCOM server.  Can anyone suggest a good and easy to
>follow DCOM book?  I have successfully written a COM, but have problems of
>converting it to DCOM.

dcom books for beginners

Post by Dr Richard Grime » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Can you say what your problem is?

In most cases a non-DCOM aware COM client can access a COM object on another
machine over DCOM (through a registry change on the client) and a non-DCOM
aware COM object on one machine can be accessed by a remote client. In fact
the objects are just COM objects, DCOM is the wire spec that explains how
RPC can be used to remote interfaces.

The area that most people have problems with is security, if you post your
details then maybe we can help out.

Richard