keep the Win2000's auto-hide-enabled taskbar permanently hidden

keep the Win2000's auto-hide-enabled taskbar permanently hidden

Post by Sorin Ristach » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

         Hi there !
      Does anyone know how I could programatically (Visual C++ 6.0) hide
the Win2000 shell's taskbar ? What I'm trying to do is to replace the
Explorer with a custom shell and to permanently hide the taskbar while
the custom shell is running, even when the taskbar is auto-hide enabled
at my program startup. If you can come up with a way to programatically
switch from auto-hide enabled to auto-hide disabled, that would do, so
please post the solution to this newsgroup or directly to me, if I'm not
asking too much.
      Here are the API calls I tried, and all of them failed to keep the
taskbar hidden for more than a minute or so.

1) ShowWindow(SW_HIDE)
2) SetWindowPos(0, 0, GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN),
GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSCREEN),
          SWP_SHOWWINDOW) for the custom shell's window, which I want to
cover the Win2000's taskbar
3) SendMessage(WM_CLOSE)
4) SHAppBarMessage(ABM_REMOVE) on the taskbar found with
FindWindow("Shell_TrayWnd", ""); with
               ABM_SETAUTOHIDEBAR doesn't work, either.

     I only have one little innocent question: is there any programmatic
way AT ALL to keep the Win2000 taskbar hidden, even if its auto-hide
feature is turned on when my application starts ?
     Many thanks in advance !

keep the Win2000's auto-hide-enabled taskbar permanently hidden

Post by Jan Bare » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

If you are replacing Explorer (shell), why don't you want to replace it
completely?
Just use your program as the shell. I don't know exactly but there is place
in registry where Windows stores location of program that will be used as
Shell. If you place your program there, you will have no Explorer, no
taskbar etc.

Regards Jan

--

Jan Bares
(remove no.spam from my email address)

1. keep the Win2000's auto-hide-enabled taskbar permanently hidden

         Hi there !
      Does anyone know how I could programatically (Visual C++ 6.0) hide
the Win2000 shell's taskbar ? What I'm trying to do is to replace the
Explorer with a custom shell and to permanently hide the taskbar while
the custom shell is running, even when the taskbar is auto-hide enabled.
If you can come up with a way to switch from auto-hide enabled to
auto-hide disabled, that would do, so please post the solution to this
newsgroup.
      Here are the API calls I tried, and all of them failed to keep the
taskbar hidden.

1) ShowWindow(SW_HIDE)
2) SetWindowPos(0, 0, GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN),
GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSCREEN),
          SWP_SHOWWINDOW) for the custom shell's window, which I want to
cover the Win2000's taskbar
3) SendMessage(WM_CLOSE)
4) SHAppBarMessage(ABM_REMOVE) on the taskbar found with
FindWindow("Shell_TrayWnd", ""); with
               ABM_SETAUTOHIDEBAR doesn't work, either ?

     I only have one little innocent question: is there any programmatic
way AT ALL to keep the Win2000 taskbar hidden, even if its auto-hide
feature is turned on before starting my application ?
     Many thanx in advance !

2. Looking for a game ??!!

3. permanent hide of Win2000's auto-hide-enabled taskbar

4. Time/Traffic log wanted

5. permanently disable or hide (NOT auto-hide

6. bad news: CFM Twain & Microtek Scanners

7. How to make the taskbar Auto Hide or Always on Top?

8. ANN: Pilot-Prop

9. How set auto-hide taskbar with ABM_SETAUTOHIDEBAR only

10. Changing system colors without auto-hide taskbar jumping

11. Set Taskbar to Auto Hide Mode programmatically

12. activate taskbar AUTO HIDE feature

13. Making the TaskBar auto-hide or NOT always on top