Win2000 and IPX/SPX network

Post by Dav » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 02:17:33

Can Windows2000 run IPX/SPX on a network with Win98 machines?  I read that
it can, but whenever I boot the Win2000 machine with IPX/SPX installed it
knocks all of the other machines off of the network.

Dave

Win2000 and IPX/SPX network

Post by John Dudd » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 02:37:08

One thing I've seen on our LAN is that the frame types are not compatible.
We had someone boot a machine using 802.2 frames, and that hosed everyone
with their IPX frame type set to autodetect, because the main server used
802.3. We had to go into the settings on the IPX driver & set the frame type
& network ID explicitly.

I hope this helps.

JD

Quote:> Can Windows2000 run IPX/SPX on a network with Win98 machines?  I read that
> it can, but whenever I boot the Win2000 machine with IPX/SPX installed it
> knocks all of the other machines off of the network.

> Dave

Win2000 and IPX/SPX network

Post by Dav » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 04:33:31

JD thanks for the info.  It helped, but the Network still gets flaky when
the Windows2000 machine is on.
Dave
> One thing I've seen on our LAN is that the frame types are not compatible.
> We had someone boot a machine using 802.2 frames, and that hosed everyone
> with their IPX frame type set to autodetect, because the main server used
> 802.3. We had to go into the settings on the IPX driver & set the frame type
> & network ID explicitly.

> I hope this helps.

> JD

> > Can Windows2000 run IPX/SPX on a network with Win98 machines?  I read that
> > it can, but whenever I boot the Win2000 machine with IPX/SPX installed it
> > knocks all of the other machines off of the network.

> > Dave

1. Getting IPX/SPX network adddress in a Microsoft Network

I plan to write a small program, similar to most of the networking games,
broadcasting throughout the network (Novell not available, Windows 95 only)
when it is active, and at the same time lookup for available connections. I
plan to use IPX/SPX protocol.

I have some questions here:

1) How to broadcast the message that my program is active and available for
incomming connection?
2) How can I get the network addresses when I need to transfer some data
through IPX/SPX within a microsoft network?

I have been programming with TCP/IP using WinSock for quite some time. But
I am rather new in IPX/SPX.
Can anybody out there give me some clue to start with IPX/SPX , preferably
by using WinSock too?

2. A Newbie Question

3. Sockets on IPX/SPX network

4. Requirement- UI Developer

5. IPX/SPX Servers

6. Need PD IXO Pager Software For PC - Clarification

7. Win 98 ICS 2 computer LAN w/ IPX/SPX

8. Floppy Controller

9. Reference on IPX/SPX-programming needed

10. Programming IPX/SPX help/documentation

11. winsock over ipx/spx

12. how to send a telegram using spx/ipx

13. Getting ipx/spx address of remote machine