Unix one-way encryption (unix password file)

Unix one-way encryption (unix password file)

Post by RedOn » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Is there any freeware crypt lib which can perform above
encryption? Or any url/doc/rfc that can help me to write crypt
function?

Unix one-way encryption (unix password file)

Post by pulza » Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Is there any freeware crypt lib which can perform above
> encryption? Or any url/doc/rfc that can help me to write crypt
> function?

You can find the source of the crypt function in all avaliable free versions
of Unix (eg. Linux, FreeBSD, ...)
Why do you need it? For transfering usernames and passwords from Unix to NT
or some of your programs. If so this is usefull. If you mean to use it as a
one-way function for hashing your passwords, that you better use some better
hash functions such as MD5, which allows you passwords of abiritary length,
where as crypt is limited to 8 characters.

    Aleksander

Unix one-way encryption (unix password file)

Post by RedOn » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Some 3rd party program supports that method for
encrypting users passwords in database. My program
needs to store these passwords in that database.
I got one source code, but it seems the official document will be
more clear for me. Do you know any one?

> > Is there any freeware crypt lib which can perform above
> > encryption? Or any url/doc/rfc that can help me to write crypt
> > function?

> You can find the source of the crypt function in all avaliable free
versions
> of Unix (eg. Linux, FreeBSD, ...)
> Why do you need it? For transfering usernames and passwords from Unix to
NT
> or some of your programs. If so this is usefull. If you mean to use it as
> one-way function for hashing your passwords, that you better use some
better
> hash functions such as MD5, which allows you passwords of abiritary
length,
> where as crypt is limited to 8 characters.

>     Aleksander

1. MFC for UNIX, Windows for UNIX, ODBC for UNIX

Hello world,

Does anybody know about portability toolkits do
port a MS Windows application to X11/Motif.

The Windows application is written with MFC 2.0
or perhaps MFC 2.5 using the ODBC interface.

Also, is there a ODBC implementation unter UNIX
(which UNIXes) for such Programs.

Please answer by email, if there is more interest
i will summarize. (i do not get all the newsgroups, so PLEASE ...)

Thanks, Greetings Matthias
--
    /\  /\   _   _/ _/  /_  ' _    _       /    _   /_  _____  _   ___  ___
   /  \/  \ (_\  /  /  / / / (_\  (_      /__  (_) / /  / / / (_\  / /  / /

|  Private :         Wakenitzmauer 8, D-23552 Luebeck, Tel  +49 451 705035     |
|  Company :         EDV-COMPAS GmbH, Koenigstrasse 28, D-23552 Luebeck        |
|                    Germany,  Tel  +49 451 71545    Fax  +49 451 71540        |
|______________________________________________________________________________|

2. ??HELP_HP6100 scsi card incompatable wi mouse

3. Unix mutex and Unix condition variable equivalent in C for Win32 ??

4. password protect homepage

5. MFC for UNIX, Windows for UNIX, ODBC for UN

6. about ASCII and Hexadecimal code

7. Eggdrops, Unix shells for NT, Free Unix shell a/c's?

8. Misc forsale.

9. UNIX to Winsock UNIX questions

10. Casting Issue while Porting C++ Application from Unix to IBM/Unix

11. How to connect UNIX and do UNIX commands

12. Convertingf DOS int to UNIX int / UNIX timing libraries.

13. Changing unix password via TCP/IP Winsock (Delphi or C++)