Named Pipes and overlapping IO question

Post by Dave Rathno » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I've been trying to use Named Pipes with overlapping I/O but
have been having a small problem.  I've created the pipe with
a call to CreateNamedPipe and specifying the FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED
flag. I then call ConnectNamedPipe and pass an OVERLAPPED
structure with a manual event object handle in the hEvent member.
I wait on the event and it gets signaled when a connection
arrives is made from another test program I run.

The problem happens when I then try to read from the pipe.  The
call to ReadFile is returning the error:

Overlapped I/O event is not in a signalled state.

Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dave.

--
W. Dave Rathnow
Interprovincial Satellite Services Ltd.

Named Pipes and overlapping IO question

Post by Felix Kasza [MV » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Dave,

 > The problem happens when I then try to read from the pipe.  The
 > call to ReadFile is returning the error:
 >
 > Overlapped I/O event is not in a signalled state.

Do you do an overlapped read, too?

--

Cheers,

Felix.

If you post a reply, kindly refrain from emailing it, too.

No anti-spam address here. Just one comment: IN YOUR FACE!

Named Pipes and overlapping IO question

Post by Dave Rathno » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Do you do an overlapped read, too?

Yes, I did.  I was a bit confused about the order that things
were happening.  I managed to figure it out.

Thanks for the tip.  On to my next questions....

--
W. Dave Rathnow
Interprovincial Satellite Services Ltd.
Calgary, AB
http://www.intersatcorp.com

1. Named pipe server don't work using overlapped io

I'm using Named Pipe Server Using Completion Routines in a
single dll in additional thread. Everything as in MSDN.
I have a program that loads and unloads dll with this pipe
server and starts(kills) it. And there is external program
that communicates through named pipes.
Everything fork when the pipe server is started for the
first time.
But then I close all handles,event and simply exit this
thread and start it again it just hangs on
dwWait = WaitForSingleObjectEx(hConnectEvent,INFINITE,TRUE);
And that's all. I can't do anything. I've tryed to create
events with different names for each start of the thread
but it useless.

Can anyone help with this case?

2. malfunctioning IIe keyboard!

3. overlapped IO named pipes unreliable

4. Petri-nets

5. ISDN and PPP basic questions

6. Looking for 3477 color monitor

7. Named Pipes and Overlapped IO in VB6/Win2k?

8. Overlapped IO on anonymous pipes?

9. Named Pipe doesn't wake up an IO Completion Port thread

10. Named pipes, overlapped write buffer size

11. Overlapped write to named pipe never completes