Can you help me?

Post by Andy Ha » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 10:59:28

Hi everyone,
I have some confused questions here.

1. IRQ is dependent on hardware, while IRQL is independent on hardware, why?
2. What advantage does taking IRQL in Win2K/XP have?
3. Essentially,what is the difference of IRQ and IRQL ?

Thanks a million.

Regards,
Andy

Can you help me?

Post by Gary G. Littl » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 15:04:44

How many times are you going to ask this question?

IRQ refers to INT # assigned to the PIC on older machines. There were at
first 8 and then 16, with the IRQ mapping to INT 8-16 and INT 70-77.

NT defines IRQL as interrupt request level and defines 32 levels. 3 to
around 21 (??) are what is called DIRQL (device IRQL) and are "finagled" by
the HAL.22 and above are generarlly reserved for system use. How does DIRQL
map to an interrupt vector? Good question ... it's magic.

Ok Jake ... How'd I do? :)

--
Gary G. Little
Have Computer, Will Travel ...

Quote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have some confused questions here.

> 1. IRQ is dependent on hardware, while IRQL is independent on hardware,
why?
> 2. What advantage does taking IRQL in Win2K/XP have?
> 3. Essentially,what is the difference of IRQ and IRQL ?

> Thanks a million.

> Regards,
> Andy

1. Canned API for SLIP/PPP dialup scripting, Modem Config., etc?

I'm thinking about putting together a network application
a part of which is similar to the part of Tatam's Windows Trumpet
that establishes a SLIP/PPP conection over a modem. To save
some time, I was wondering if there is any kind of "canned"
API for:

        1) Managing a modem/script configuration file (like the
           protocol.ini and slip.ini files with Netmanage Chameleon)

        2) Doing the actual scripting (waiting for input strings,
           doing delays, waiting for modem control signals, sending
           output strings, getting IP addresses, etc)

        3) Doing the modem communications for initialization, settings,
           dialing, etc.

Every slip/ppp package that I've seen seems to have an ad-hoc
approach to this, some fancier than others...

--Jon Cardwell
Wayne State University

2. HP7100i - Anyone have one of these ???

3. Canned Data Plotting Routines

4. Looking for a Special Print server device

5. Trespasser (was Re: Duke4ever canned?)

6. PMX problem

7. Games that were canned or banned?

8. Filter and direct mail (two users with one account and one pine)

9. HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!

10. HELP HELP - WSANO_DATA what does this really mean HELP HELP????

11. HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!

12. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP ... Did I mention that I need HELP?????

13. Help Help Help