Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by Ghoze » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hello everyone:

Here's how I have decided to share my DSL connection..

I take my Cisco 676 external dsl modem/router (internal IP: 10.0.0.1
external: 209.58.xxx.xxx, its one static ip) and I patch its ethernet
crossover cable to my 10/100 hub's uplink port. I then proceed to add my two
machines to the hub, each machine is using IP numbers 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3
respectively, they both use the same netmask and same DNS servers in their
respective configs, their default gateway is set to 10.0.0.1.

Now the only problem I face is when I try to access the internet, only
10.0.0.2 connects fine.. 10.0.0.3 just sits there and does nothing, I can't
even get a ping reply from .03 to either 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.2. To make
matters even worse, 10.0.0.2 can't get a ping to 10.0.0.3, but it can for
10.0.0.1

All network cables are well crimped, well seated, and the corresponding
lights on the hub and modem/router are working fine.. my question is why is
this happening, why just one PC works fine to access the internet but can't
access the LAN, while the other wont even connect to the internet, needless
to say, able to "see" the gateway and the other pc over the LAN.

Is this the right setup to share this? what am I doing wrong? Sorry for all
the questions, I've been searching past posts on this newsgroup for 3 hours
now and nothing seems to help. I am trying to avoid having to buy a hardware
solution, since this modem supports NAT routing.

I beg for a kind soul to help me, any ideas/thoughts are welcome..thanks in
advance.

--Ghozer
ghoz01"at"hotmail.com

PS: I am beggining to think this has something to do with my CBOS settings,
any proficient Cisco enthusiasts here?

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by Someon » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Everything sounds good.  Try swapping the cables
between the PC's and the hub.  That is, take the cable segment
that goes to the .2 machine and the hub, remove it from the .2
machine, and place it in the .3 machine.  Despite the lights,
your patch cable may be bad.

place it bet

Quote:> Hello everyone:

> Here's how I have decided to share my DSL connection..

> I take my Cisco 676 external dsl modem/router (internal IP: 10.0.0.1
> external: 209.58.xxx.xxx, its one static ip) and I patch its ethernet
> crossover cable to my 10/100 hub's uplink port. I then proceed to add my
two
> machines to the hub, each machine is using IP numbers 10.0.0.2 and
10.0.0.3
> respectively, they both use the same netmask and same DNS servers in their
> respective configs, their default gateway is set to 10.0.0.1.

> Now the only problem I face is when I try to access the internet, only
> 10.0.0.2 connects fine.. 10.0.0.3 just sits there and does nothing, I
can't
> even get a ping reply from .03 to either 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.2. To make
> matters even worse, 10.0.0.2 can't get a ping to 10.0.0.3, but it can for
> 10.0.0.1

> All network cables are well crimped, well seated, and the corresponding
> lights on the hub and modem/router are working fine.. my question is why
is
> this happening, why just one PC works fine to access the internet but
can't
> access the LAN, while the other wont even connect to the internet,
needless
> to say, able to "see" the gateway and the other pc over the LAN.

> Is this the right setup to share this? what am I doing wrong? Sorry for
all
> the questions, I've been searching past posts on this newsgroup for 3
hours
> now and nothing seems to help. I am trying to avoid having to buy a
hardware
> solution, since this modem supports NAT routing.

> I beg for a kind soul to help me, any ideas/thoughts are welcome..thanks
in
> advance.

> --Ghozer
> ghoz01"at"hotmail.com

> PS: I am beggining to think this has something to do with my CBOS
settings,
> any proficient Cisco enthusiasts here?

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by Someon » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Yes, you should be able to
ping between computers. If the machines can see each
other with NetBEUI, then the cables are ok.

Try changing your subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.
If that doesn't do it, try removing all the network
protocols and clients and reinstalling them on the
.3 machine.

Quote:

> "Someone" wrote

> > Everything sounds good.  Try swapping the cables
> > between the PC's and the hub.  That is, take the cable segment
> > that goes to the .2 machine and the hub, remove it from the .2
> > machine, and place it in the .3 machine.  Despite the lights,
> > your patch cable may be bad.

> thanks for your time, I tried doing that but still no go, can't
> get a ping .03 from the .02 machine. .02 can still access the
> internet but it cannot ping .03 and .03 can't ping anybody..
> the only way I have managed both computers to "see" each
> other in Network Neighborhood is by installing NetBEUI.

> This may sound like a stupid question, but shouldn't 2
> computers be able to ping each other if they are using
> the same subnet mask (255.255.255.252 in my case)
> and the same IP network (10.0.0.x)?

> Regards,

> --Ghozer

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by Someon » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Go to your TCP/IP settings for the network
card on the .3 machine.  Go to the
WINS tab and disable WINS.  Now go to
the DNS tab, enable DNS, add your ISP's
DNS servers to the DNS table and enter
something in the 'Host' field that is DIFFERENT
than what you have there on the .2 machine.  Also,
enter your ISP's domain name (i.e., uswest.net)
in the 'Domain' field (this should be the same
on both machines).

If this doesn;t do it, try assigning a different
IP address to the .3 machine such as
10.0.0.7 (don't use leading zeroes).

> Thank you so much. Changing the subnet to 255.255.255.0
> and reinstalling protocols (only TCP/IP is in use by both this time)
> made them able to see and ping each other.

> Now, I am able to access the internet via .02, but with .03 (you guessed
it)
> I can't access the internet, I added the cisco's address (.01) to .03 as
> gateway
> and tried pinging the gateway, no response. I tried logging into the cisco
> and pinging,
> I get replies from .02 but not from .03... Any ideas?

> Again, thanks a lot for your time.

> --Ghozer

> > Yes, you should be able to
> > ping between computers. If the machines can see each
> > other with NetBEUI, then the cables are ok.

> > Try changing your subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.
> > If that doesn't do it, try removing all the network
> > protocols and clients and reinstalling them on the
> > .3 machine.

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by Ghoze » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

"Someone" wrote

Quote:> Everything sounds good.  Try swapping the cables
> between the PC's and the hub.  That is, take the cable segment
> that goes to the .2 machine and the hub, remove it from the .2
> machine, and place it in the .3 machine.  Despite the lights,
> your patch cable may be bad.

thanks for your time, I tried doing that but still no go, can't
get a ping .03 from the .02 machine. .02 can still access the
internet but it cannot ping .03 and .03 can't ping anybody..
the only way I have managed both computers to "see" each
other in Network Neighborhood is by installing NetBEUI.

This may sound like a stupid question, but shouldn't 2
computers be able to ping each other if they are using
the same subnet mask (255.255.255.252 in my case)
and the same IP network (10.0.0.x)?

Regards,

--Ghozer

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by Ghoze » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Thank you so much. Changing the subnet to 255.255.255.0
and reinstalling protocols (only TCP/IP is in use by both this time)
made them able to see and ping each other.

Now, I am able to access the internet via .02, but with .03 (you guessed it)
I can't access the internet, I added the cisco's address (.01) to .03 as
gateway
and tried pinging the gateway, no response. I tried logging into the cisco
and pinging,
I get replies from .02 but not from .03... Any ideas?

Again, thanks a lot for your time.

--Ghozer

> Yes, you should be able to
> ping between computers. If the machines can see each
> other with NetBEUI, then the cables are ok.

> Try changing your subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.
> If that doesn't do it, try removing all the network
> protocols and clients and reinstalling them on the
> .3 machine.

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by Ghoze » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

OK, here's what I did..

-WINS was already disabled, skipped that step.
-Added a different host DNS entry than the one on .2, added my ISP's DNS
servers.
-Rebooted. Still could not get a ping reply from the modem/router on .1
 could get ping replies from the .2 machine without problems.
-Changed .3 to 10.0.0.10.
-Rebooted. Cannot get a ping reply from the modem (gateway) thus I
 cannot access the web. :-(

I'm starting to think the Cisco is the one not accepting packets from
any more IPs besides 10.0.0.2? What do you think?
If so, How can I check for that?

Regards,

--Ghozer

> Go to your TCP/IP settings for the network
> card on the .3 machine.  Go to the
> WINS tab and disable WINS.  Now go to
> the DNS tab, enable DNS, add your ISP's
> DNS servers to the DNS table and enter
> something in the 'Host' field that is DIFFERENT
> than what you have there on the .2 machine.  Also,
> enter your ISP's domain name (i.e., uswest.net)
> in the 'Domain' field (this should be the same
> on both machines).

> If this doesn;t do it, try assigning a different
> IP address to the .3 machine such as
> 10.0.0.7 (don't use leading zeroes).

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by Someon » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Okay, here are three things to look at:

1. Check proxy setting.

Go to control panel and double-click the
Internet icon.  Go to the connection tab.
Make sure that you are set up to connect
directly over a LAN and not to dialup with
a modem.  And also be sure the proxy server
option is NOT checked.  Also, see if there
is an icon in your control panel called WSP.
If there is, double-click it and turn the
proxy client off.

2. Check for remnants of defunct network adapter.

Did you used to have another network card in this
machine?  Go to control panel and double-click
the system icon.  Go to the device manager tab.
Find the entry in the list called Network Adapters.
Click on the little plus sign next to it.  What is
listed under it?  Any "extra" network cards?
Any yellow exclamation marks?  (Disregard
any entries that say Dialup adapter, VPN,
Virtual Private Networking or AOL adapter.)

If you see only one network card, reboot the
machine into safe mode (press F8 repeatedly during
the boot process until you see a menu and select safe
mode) and look in device manager again.

If you see more than one network card, remove
them all (again, don't disturb any dialup VPN or AOL
entries -- just remove all network cards) and
then reboot the machine normally.  You will
be prompted to install the network card's drivers
again.  Then reinstall any network clients or protocols
that may be missing in the network setup and see
if you're in business.

3. Let the Cisco assign the settings.

See if you can get the .3 machine going using the
"standard" configuration.  In other words, leave the
Cisco alone, and change the .3 computer to standard DHCP-
type TCP/IP configuration.

Change the IP address to "Obtain automatically".
On the WINS tab, change to Use DHCP for WINS resolution.
On the Gateway tab remove any gateway entry.
On the DNS tab, disable DNS.

Now reboot the computer and when it boots
up, click on Start/Run and type in WINIPCFG <enter>
Change the adapter drop-down to your network
card and see if it is getting an IP address -- it should
be 10.0.0.x.  If so, see if you can browse the internet.

> OK, here's what I did..

> -WINS was already disabled, skipped that step.
> -Added a different host DNS entry than the one on .2, added my ISP's DNS
> servers.
> -Rebooted. Still could not get a ping reply from the modem/router on .1
>  could get ping replies from the .2 machine without problems.
> -Changed .3 to 10.0.0.10.
> -Rebooted. Cannot get a ping reply from the modem (gateway) thus I
>  cannot access the web. :-(

> I'm starting to think the Cisco is the one not accepting packets from
> any more IPs besides 10.0.0.2? What do you think?
> If so, How can I check for that?

> Regards,

> --Ghozer

> > Go to your TCP/IP settings for the network
> > card on the .3 machine.  Go to the
> > WINS tab and disable WINS.  Now go to
> > the DNS tab, enable DNS, add your ISP's
> > DNS servers to the DNS table and enter
> > something in the 'Host' field that is DIFFERENT
> > than what you have there on the .2 machine.  Also,
> > enter your ISP's domain name (i.e., uswest.net)
> > in the 'Domain' field (this should be the same
> > on both machines).

> > If this doesn;t do it, try assigning a different
> > IP address to the .3 machine such as
> > 10.0.0.7 (don't use leading zeroes).

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by Ghoze » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Sorry, but none of that worked, I did try this and discovered something:

I patched the ethernet cable from the cisco straight into the .3 machine and
rebooted... nothing happened. I changed the IP from .3 to .2, rebooted and I
was in business.

Does this mean that my cisco only accepts packets from a 10.0.0.2 IP? Is
there a way to change this in the CBOS on the cisco so it can "allow"
traffic from a 10.0.0.3 also?

Thanks,

--Ghozer

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by Someon » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I've set up installations which went all the
way up to 10.0.0.90 without trouble.

When you set up the .3 machine as DHCP,
what did WINIPCFG tell you?

Quote:> Sorry, but none of that worked, I did try this and discovered something:

> I patched the ethernet cable from the cisco straight into the .3 machine
and
> rebooted... nothing happened. I changed the IP from .3 to .2, rebooted and
> was in business.

> Does this mean that my cisco only accepts packets from a 10.0.0.2 IP? Is
> there a way to change this in the CBOS on the cisco so it can "allow"
> traffic from a 10.0.0.3 also?

> Thanks,

> --Ghozer

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by Brian Bes » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Ghozer,

I would check the NAT settings.  Do you have a "static" map for the outside
interface.  If so, make sure that you are using port address translation for
each "inside" ip translated.  Othewise, you will only be able to connect a
single device using your fixed outside address.

I believe that this device does not use IOS but a Broadband Software
version.  Check out this guide for further reference if you are stuck.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/dsl_prod/c600s/cbos/c...
ndex.htm

Good luck.

Brian Best - CCNP/DA
Systems Engineer
Cisco Systems

Quote:> Hello everyone:

> Here's how I have decided to share my DSL connection..

> I take my Cisco 676 external dsl modem/router (internal IP: 10.0.0.1
> external: 209.58.xxx.xxx, its one static ip) and I patch its ethernet
> crossover cable to my 10/100 hub's uplink port. I then proceed to add my
two
> machines to the hub, each machine is using IP numbers 10.0.0.2 and
10.0.0.3
> respectively, they both use the same netmask and same DNS servers in their
> respective configs, their default gateway is set to 10.0.0.1.

> Now the only problem I face is when I try to access the internet, only
> 10.0.0.2 connects fine.. 10.0.0.3 just sits there and does nothing, I
can't
> even get a ping reply from .03 to either 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.2. To make
> matters even worse, 10.0.0.2 can't get a ping to 10.0.0.3, but it can for
> 10.0.0.1

> All network cables are well crimped, well seated, and the corresponding
> lights on the hub and modem/router are working fine.. my question is why
is
> this happening, why just one PC works fine to access the internet but
can't
> access the LAN, while the other wont even connect to the internet,
needless
> to say, able to "see" the gateway and the other pc over the LAN.

> Is this the right setup to share this? what am I doing wrong? Sorry for
all
> the questions, I've been searching past posts on this newsgroup for 3
hours
> now and nothing seems to help. I am trying to avoid having to buy a
hardware
> solution, since this modem supports NAT routing.

> I beg for a kind soul to help me, any ideas/thoughts are welcome..thanks
in
> advance.

> --Ghozer
> ghoz01"at"hotmail.com

> PS: I am beggining to think this has something to do with my CBOS
settings,
> any proficient Cisco enthusiasts here?

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by Ghoze » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Brian,

You are right, the cisco 600 line of CPEs does not use IOS, they use CBOS.
As for your suggestion I am sorry to say that I am still experiencing the
problem. 10.0.0.2 is the only IP my cisco seems to understand, any requests
from any other IPs in the 10.0.0.3-254 range is simply ignored. :-(

After reading the URL you posted, here's what I did:

-logged into the cbos.
-entered enable mode
-did a "show nat" to confirm that NAT is enabled on the unit.
-did a "set nat entry add 10.0.0.3"
-did a "set nat entry add 10.0.0.2"
-did a "write" to save changes to NvRAM.
-did a "reboot" to reset the unit.

Did I do this right?

Thanks for your time,

--Ghozer.

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by clackey at ipass.ne » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I checked the CISCO site and found no mention of NAT / PAT for Single User /
Single IP managment.  You probably have the wrong CISCO router.  you need the
Cisco 677 or similar product

http://216.149.118.118/sandbox/techadsl.htm

Carl Lackey

Post by Ghoze » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I checked the CISCO site and found no mention of NAT / PAT for Single User
/
> Single IP managment.  You probably have the wrong CISCO router.  you need
the
> Cisco 677 or similar product

> http://216.149.118.118/sandbox/techadsl.htm

> Carl Lackey

> > Hello everyone:

> > Here's how I have decided to share my DSL connection..

> > I take my Cisco 676 external dsl modem/router (internal IP: 10.0.0.1
> > external: 209.58.xxx.xxx, its one static ip) and I patch its ethernet
> > crossover cable to my 10/100 hub's uplink port. I then proceed to add my
two
> > machines to the hub, each machine is using IP numbers 10.0.0.2 and
10.0.0.3
> > respectively, they both use the same netmask and same DNS servers in
their
> > respective configs, their default gateway is set to 10.0.0.1.

Cisco modem + hub uplink port + 2 PCs = only one PC with access?

Post by Ghoze » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Clark,

Sorry, think I touched that send button to early, anyways here are the
descriptions from cisco for the 676 modem (the one I have) and the 677 (the
one you think I need).

"The Cisco 676 is an Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) modem used
for home connectivity to an ADSL service provider network over an
ADSL/Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) physical layer. The Cisco 676 router
receives adaptive rates of up to 9.2 Mbps downstream and transmits .8 Mbps
upstream. The Cisco 676 router operates using the Cisco Broadband Operating
System (CBOS)."

"The Cisco 677 Small Office Home Office (SOHO)/Telecommuter asymmetric
digital subscriber line (ADSL) Router is designed to offer cost-effective
high-speed services to small home offices and work-at-home users. The Cisco
677 provides a 10/100BaseT interface for connection to a small, home-office
LAN or a single Ethernet-equipped PC. The Cisco 677 supports a robust
routing feature set for seamless integration of ADSL service into corporate
or home LANs and WANs. A built-in Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
server automatically assigns IP addresses to PCs on the LAN, and with Port
Address Translation (PAT) these PCs can share a single IP address. In
addition, with Cisco EZ-DSL no-truck-roll technology, basic telephone
service splitters are not required at the premises, thus reducing the cost
of installation."

I guess your theory may be correct, thanks for bringing this up, if the
above statements are true, I guess my only 2 options are:

a) Buy a dsl hardware sharing solution (having a machine with 2 NICs up all
the time is not an option for me.

b) contact my provider and see if they carry the 677 model.

Any further comments?

Thanks for bringing this up,

--Ghozer.

"clackey at ipass.net"  wrote

Quote:> I checked the CISCO site and found no mention of NAT / PAT for Single User
/
> Single IP managment.  You probably have the wrong CISCO router.  you need
the
> Cisco 677 or similar product

> http://216.149.118.118/sandbox/techadsl.htm

> Carl Lackey

1. What Proxy/Nat programs suport 2 pcs, one IP and cablemodem connected to uplink on Hub????

You can try any of the programs, but they probably won't work reliably.

You should use TWO NICs on one computer, connecting one NIC to the
cable modem, the other to your LAN computer or hub.

More info on my site.
--
_______________________________

Share your Internet connection!  http://www.timhiggins.com/

2. CD RW disk need help please

3. Info on connecting PC to PC and PC to Mac using Null Modem cable Wanted

4. c=1960 as SVGA monitor?

5. Two 8 port 10Base-T hubs Linked to one 24 Port 10Base-T hub????????

6. FA: Macintosh 80MB Int. Hard Drive NO RESERVE

7. PC-switch or PC-HUB-Switch connection (performance???)

8. Adapt Next Monitor to PC

9. PCs to NETOPIA or PCS to HUB to NETOPIA?

10. Cisco 760 - some PC works - Some PC's can't ping to cisco

11. Cable modem and hub uplink port

12. LPT1 direct pc-pc works one direction but not other

13. Shut down windows on all PC's from one PC?