Comcast@home...any good?

Post by Yggo » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:59:22

I'm gonna get it in a week or so (tired of Verizon). I currenty got 1.5 with
Verizon but i'm sick of paying 90 bucks a month for JUST fast connections (with
crappy newsgroups servers and -more importantly-slow ,destructable mail
servers).  I figure, even with the cable lines being fragmented and shared ,
you can't beat 2 mb download for half that price and ,hopefully, working email
(i'll just use aol for newsgroups for now ;P).

Is it any good? do they suffer TOO MUCH from shared cable (i live in the P.G.
County , Maryland area) and is there newsgroup servers any better than Verizon?
What we do in life last an eternity
                           - Maximus, Gladiator

iT NeVEr eNdS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comcast@home...any good?

Post by w4.. » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 02:30:07

probably FOREVER!  RUN!  RUN!

know in Charleston, SC, have gotten no word at all on what will happen
to their cable internet service when they pull the plug on the
Commodores.

Stay far away until there is SOLID service on the cable again.  You
really don't wanna be a paying beta tester for the new system, do
you??

larry.....former customer.  The email address still works because

Quote:>I'm gonna get it in a week or so (tired of Verizon). I currenty got 1.5 with

Comcast@home...any good?

Post by CDragon - The Dragon-Dol » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:38:39

> I'm gonna get it in a week or so (tired of Verizon). I currenty got 1.5
> with Verizon but i'm sick of paying 90 bucks a month for JUST fast
> connections (with crappy newsgroups servers and -more importantly-slow
> ,destructable mail servers).  I figure, even with the cable lines being
> fragmented and shared , you can't beat 2 mb download for half that
> price and ,hopefully, working email (i'll just use aol for newsgroups
> for now ;P).

> Is it any good? do they suffer TOO MUCH from shared cable (i live in
> the P.G. County , Maryland area) and is there newsgroup servers any
> better than Verizon? What we do in life last an eternity
>                            - Maximus, Gladiator

> iT NeVEr eNdS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank god my ISP is smart enough to launch its own data centre..

yay Cogeco!

Comcast@home...any good?

Post by Yggo » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:37:19

HOLT ON.....COMCAST GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??? LINK ME PLEASE.

When did this happen?
What we do in life last an eternity
                           - Maximus, Gladiator

iT NeVEr eNdS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comcast@home...any good?

Post by w4.. » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:04:16

Chapter 11 bankrupcy since several months ago.....Their stock price,
today, is about 5c/share.  Wanna buy some?

The judge and the screwed creditors, in an attempt to keep the company
from leaking even MORE money than usual, is pulling the plug, shutting
off the power and locking the doors.

Comcast will have to go elsewhere to get ISP service.

Quote:>HOLT ON.....COMCAST GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??? LINK ME PLEASE.

>When did this happen?
>What we do in life last an eternity
>                           - Maximus, Gladiator

>iT NeVEr eNdS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comcast@home...any good?

comcast.com

Post by w4.. » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:42:05

>comcast.com

Greed....

Comcast@home...any good?

Post by Yggo » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 07:10:00

man this sucks....WELL...they're giving me a month for free so i guess if
anything happens during that time i can cancel and there isn't any contract.

internet surfing and downloading, Verizon has definitely come up....but i
really want another email (ie: ESCAPE FROM AOL...HELP ME PLEASE :(() but
Verizon DEFINITELY ain't working. I haven't heard too many bad things
concerning it's email....but I've heard some really POLAR reviews of it's net
surfing (dropped signals, high pings....no service). Any fellow
Marylanders/Marylandnites/Marylandians with any reviews?

What we do in life last an eternity
                           - Maximus, Gladiator

iT NeVEr eNdS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comcast@home...any good?

Post by w4.. » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:09:25

look on comp.dcom.modems.cable

there is a comcast guy today who offered info to worried subs,
Comcast, as usual, says NOTHING, typical for them.

larry

>man this sucks....WELL...they're giving me a month for free so i guess if
>anything happens during that time i can cancel and there isn't any contract.

>internet surfing and downloading, Verizon has definitely come up....but i
>really want another email (ie: ESCAPE FROM AOL...HELP ME PLEASE :(() but
>Verizon DEFINITELY ain't working. I haven't heard too many bad things
>concerning it's email....but I've heard some really POLAR reviews of it's net
>surfing (dropped signals, high pings....no service). Any fellow
>Marylanders/Marylandnites/Marylandians with any reviews?

>What we do in life last an eternity
>                           - Maximus, Gladiator

>iT NeVEr eNdS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comcast@home...any good?

Post by Yggo » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:59:44

thanks.
What we do in life last an eternity
                           - Maximus, Gladiator

iT NeVEr eNdS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comcast@home...any good?

Post by D & » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:05:00

spend the extra dime and go with a 3rd party solution like giganews.com, I

verizon, my connection has been what was advertised.
Dave in NJ

Quote:> thanks.
> What we do in life last an eternity
>                            - Maximus, Gladiator

> iT NeVEr eNdS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comcast@home...any good?

Post by wes » Mon, 03 Dec 2001 08:23:23

I am told it is good business practice to keep money coming in to Comcast.

be able to work together. Greed is the problem.

> comcast.com

> >Date: 11/26/01 8:04 PM Eastern Standard Time

> >Chapter 11 bankrupcy since several months ago.....Their stock price,
> >today, is about 5c/share.  Wanna buy some?

> >The judge and the screwed creditors, in an attempt to keep the company
> >from leaking even MORE money than usual, is pulling the plug, shutting
> >off the power and locking the doors.

> >Comcast will have to go elsewhere to get ISP service.

> >>HOLT ON.....COMCAST GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??? LINK ME PLEASE.

> >>When did this happen?
> >>What we do in life last an eternity
> >>                           - Maximus, Gladiator

> >>iT NeVEr eNdS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> What we do in life last an eternity
>                            - Maximus, Gladiator

> iT NeVEr eNdS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comcast@home...any good?

Post by wes » Mon, 03 Dec 2001 08:26:17

have been minor shutdowns of maybe a few hours but those have been few in
number. Downloads and internet speeds have always been good where I live in
Alexandria, VA. Sure hope they can work something out without closing
everything down. Also, they give you 7 E-mails with 10Mb web use with each
one. I have all of those almost full and doubt if any other service will
offer the same.

> man this sucks....WELL...they're giving me a month for free so i guess if
> anything happens during that time i can cancel and there isn't any
contract.

Seriously...for
> internet surfing and downloading, Verizon has definitely come up....but i
> really want another email (ie: ESCAPE FROM AOL...HELP ME PLEASE :(() but
> Verizon DEFINITELY ain't working. I haven't heard too many bad things
> concerning it's email....but I've heard some really POLAR reviews of it's
net
> surfing (dropped signals, high pings....no service). Any fellow
> Marylanders/Marylandnites/Marylandians with any reviews?

> What we do in life last an eternity
>                            - Maximus, Gladiator

> iT NeVEr eNdS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comcast@home...any good?

Post by lito lucen » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:54:21

cable internet service and will transition its users prior to the
agreed 28 feb 2002 date.

cnet has been a good reliable source of info on this lately.

seems to be a classic case of the different parts of the same
organization working against the common good

may have tried to drive it's price down prior to the withdrawal of
its bid to take it over.)

--
lito

... george, george, george of the jungle, watch out for that tree .....

1. Comcast@Home any good

This question is ESPECIALLY for fellow maryland users.  What's the OVERALL
statis on them (i hear it's a better alternative than dsl all around). good bad
an Ooglah.

thanks
What we do in life last an eternity
                           - Maximus, Gladiator

iT NeVEr eNdS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Newbie Hub Question

3. Comcast@Home in Atlanta, Any good?

4. sis900

5. Home Networking with Router and Comcast @ Home ........

6. _select_receive()

7. Atlanta Comcast @home At Home Chamblee cable modem

8. BBS list wanted for Berkeley/Oakland/SF (415) area

9. Ascend P50U good home router? $775 good price?

10. Shaw@Home & Rogers@Home - Are they good or bad???

11. Good nameserver for comcast in Chicago

12. Comcast in South Jersey... So far, so good