Verizon network setup

Post by Charles » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:03:09

Just set up a wireless network, 3 laptops and a D-Link hub/router/access
point.
The laptops can all access the router ok, but I can't get the router to
connect through the modem.
The account was already set up so I have the user id and password.
Verizon says they were having problems in the area so it may be their
problem but I want to make sure I've got everything else ok.

(The desktop that set up the account lost it's network card so I can't go
back to it to verify with verizon's orig software).

The Westell modem has it's lamps all on steady (with the blinking activity
light)

In the router, we set it up for PPPOE, put in user id and password, DHCP is
enabled (should it be?), and no connection.  We Ping the router but no
internet addresses. The laptops all see each other on the network OK.
Are there other Verizon idiosyncrasies I should be watching out for?

Thanks
charles

Verizon network setup

Post by Bob Carric » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:33:01

It should be set-up for DHCP out to the computer (LAN), not WAN.  Make sure

--
Bob
http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe.htm - The largest PPPoE FAQ & How To

Quote:> Just set up a wireless network, 3 laptops and a D-Link hub/router/access
> point.
> The laptops can all access the router ok, but I can't get the router to
> connect through the modem.
> The account was already set up so I have the user id and password.
> Verizon says they were having problems in the area so it may be their
> problem but I want to make sure I've got everything else ok.

> (The desktop that set up the account lost it's network card so I can't go
> back to it to verify with verizon's orig software).

> The Westell modem has it's lamps all on steady (with the blinking activity
> light)

> In the router, we set it up for PPPOE, put in user id and password, DHCP
is
> enabled (should it be?), and no connection.  We Ping the router but no
> internet addresses. The laptops all see each other on the network OK.
> Are there other Verizon idiosyncrasies I should be watching out for?

> Thanks
> charles

1. Verizon DSL setup on Windows 2000

It's worse than that, the disk is nessesary to log in and create your
account with Verizon.  Do a Ghost backup of any random machine,
install the Disk From Hell, get the username and password from Verizon
for their PPPoE, and plug the results into your Linksys router.  Then
restore the sacrificial machine from it's Ghost backup, and you're all
set.

The router is cheap, and even if you aren't sharing your connection,
the PPPoE drivers, the NAT firewall, and the inbound/outbound logging
is worth the $50 or less you can get it for mail-order.  I prefer the
BEFSR41, though the NR041 is a bit cheaper, and nearly
indistinguishable in UI, features, etc.

--

ComputerSmiths Consulting, Inc.    www.compusmiths.com

2. undefined reference to terminate(void);

3. Verizon DSL Setup

4. Listviewers

5. Verizon DSL speed setup and Speed issues

6. FEVER.

7. Verizon DSL setup problem

8. Hover button blues!

9. Verizon DSL/LAN setup

10. Verizon - Linksys Setup Questions

11. Verizon DSL setup from Linux

12. RASPPPoE Setup on Verizon?

13. how to setup a dos network on a windows2000 network ?