Where's a good place to get a NID splitter?

Where's a good place to get a NID splitter?

Post by David Krame » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 04:59:48

Actually I want to split the line inside the house just as soon as it
comes in from the NID, so either jacks or*terminals is fine.

Is there anything I should look out for?

Also, is there a big difference between a real NID splitter, and just
doing this:

----NID----+--DSL FILTER------+--PHONE
           |- DSL MODEM       |--PHONE
                              |--PHONE
                              |--PHONE

In other words, is the NID splitter just like a Y jack with one of the
cheap filters that came with my Covad kit on one side, or is it somehow
better?

DDDD   David Kramer                           http://www.veryComputer.com/
DK KD
DKK D  "Democracy is the art and science of running the circus
DK KD  from the monkey cage."
DDDD                                                 -H. L. Mencken

Where's a good place to get a NID splitter?

Post by Vaugh » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 05:14:38

Quote:> Actually I want to split the line inside the house just as soon as it
> comes in from the NID, so either jacks or*terminals is fine.

> Is there anything I should look out for?

Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes.  It's a box with four sections one of each
wire color, you play match the colors (if you're system uses a four color
wire).  I believe they call them wiring blocks.
Quote:> Also, is there a big difference between a real NID splitter, and just

Post by David Krame » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 07:13:39

> > Actually I want to split the line inside the house just as soon as it
> > comes in from the NID, so either jacks or*terminals is fine.

> > Is there anything I should look out for?

> Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes.  It's a box with four sections one of each
> wire color, you play match the colors (if you're system uses a four color
> wire).  I believe they call them wiring blocks.

My fault for not being more specific.  I have a DSL modem, and I need the
NID splitter to split out the DSL line from the rest of the house using
filters.  The in-line filters on each phone are not cutting it in my
house.

Quote:

> > Also, is there a big difference between a real NID splitter, and just
> > doing this:

> > ----NID----+--DSL FILTER------+--PHONE
> >            |- DSL MODEM       |--PHONE
> >                               |--PHONE
> >                               |--PHONE

> > In other words, is the NID splitter just like a Y jack with one of the
> > cheap filters that came with my Covad kit on one side, or is it somehow
> > better?

This question still stands, though.

Post by David Krame » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:26:28

> No I understood, it's really simple wiring.  I rewired my incoming line and
> used Cat5, I have three lines.  The line enters and is split (first wiring
> block).  One pair goes to the dsl modem.  A second pair (attached to the
> same screws) goes to the larger wiring block which connects to the
> individual runs to the rest of the house.  You can then put a filter just
> before the second block and cover all the phones with one filter.  If the
> filter needs a J11, then you use the J11 that is on most blocks to bring the
> connection in (usually an out). On the first block you buy one which is
> really a surface jack and plug the filter into that.

> Phone lines don't need anything fancy so keep it simple.  I have a wiring
> block in my attic which distributes my three phone lines.  I did this to use
> the four pair that were up there already and back to the NID but would only
> support two lines (same lines on all pairs).

OK.  I thought just one of the in-line filters they gave me with the DSL
modem would not be able to handle the 5 phones I have in the house.  If it
will, that certainly makes life simpler.  That's essentially the diagram I
drew in my earlier post.

I was thinking of using the second pair of wires (Black/Yellow) in the run
already going to my office for the DSL line.  Do you think I should run a
fresh wire?  That would be a fair bit of work, but it's possible.

Thanks for your help.

DK KD
DKK D
DK KD
DDDD

Post by Vaugh » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:40:26

> I was thinking of using the second pair of wires (Black/Yellow) in the run
> already going to my office for the DSL line.  Do you think I should run a
> fresh wire?  That would be a fair bit of work, but it's possible.

> Thanks for your help.

Before line sharing was allowed by the CLEC using a second pair was
standard.  Can't say there won't be any interference but I'd sure try it
before I ran new wires.  There are inline filters but this isn't a volume
issue since the filter just cuts all signals above a set level.  Again, it's
easy to try so go ahead. If it doesn't work then an in line filter will be
the answer but you'd put it in the same place.

This should answer some of your questions.
http://www.2wire.com/support/faq_dsl.html#2  Your situation isn't exactly a
daisy chain but it's basically the same.