RT311 "First Gear" and Win2K?

Post by M. Smit » Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I got my new Netgear RT311 yesterday, and quickly got things hooked up to
> my small network of Windows 95 and Windows 2000 machines. All of the PCs
> were already configured for DHCP (I had been using Sygate previously with
> second NIC in one machine, which I removed). I installed the "First Gear"
> utility on two different Windows 2000 machines, and on each of them it
> complained that the NIC in the PC wasn't on the same subnet
(255.255.255.0)
> as the RT311... even though they were!  It refused to go any further.  I
> then used the serial maintenance port to verify the TCP/IP settings in the
> RT311 and set up the ISP info for the Internet.  It connected the machines
> to the Internet just fine immediately afterwards, even though the "First
> Gear" app *still* reported that the subnet wasn't right on the Win2K PCs!

> Is it just me, or is "First Gear" not compatible with Windows 2000?  I
> looked at both the Netgear and Zyxel web sites, and at least the Zyxel
site
> suggests (by omission) that their manager is compatible with Windows 95/98
> and NT (but not Windows 2000?). I called Netgear tech support, but gave up
> after getting disconnected three times.

Forget First Gear for controlling your RT311. It's likely a Win95/98 program
only, plus it is capable of only the most basic configuration control.

I telnet into my RT311 with Hyperterminal, although any telnet program will
work. Assuming you've left it's LAN address as 192.168.0.1, telnet with
that. The factory password is 1234. Don't forget to change the password to
something a bit more sophisticated!

Telnetting into the RT311 gives you far more sophisticated control of the
box.

RT311 "First Gear" and Win2K?

Post by David Rothma » Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I got my new Netgear RT311 yesterday, and quickly got things hooked up to
> my small network of Windows 95 and Windows 2000 machines. All of the PCs
> were already configured for DHCP (I had been using Sygate previously with
> second NIC in one machine, which I removed). I installed the "First Gear"
> utility on two different Windows 2000 machines, and on each of them it
> complained that the NIC in the PC wasn't on the same subnet
(255.255.255.0)
> as the RT311... even though they were!  It refused to go any further.  I
> then used the serial maintenance port to verify the TCP/IP settings in the
> RT311 and set up the ISP info for the Internet.  It connected the machines
> to the Internet just fine immediately afterwards, even though the "First
> Gear" app *still* reported that the subnet wasn't right on the Win2K PCs!

> Is it just me, or is "First Gear" not compatible with Windows 2000?  I
> looked at both the Netgear and Zyxel web sites, and at least the Zyxel
site
> suggests (by omission) that their manager is compatible with Windows 95/98
> and NT (but not Windows 2000?). I called Netgear tech support, but gave up
> after getting disconnected three times.

> Dan

RT311 "First Gear" and Win2K?

Post by Dan Howa » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Yep... got a response back from Netgear.  They say they know about it and
are working on the problem.  I wonder why they even bother shipping it...
telnet interface is much easier and a better tool.

Dan