Anybody using SNET DSL service?

Post by Youxin Wan » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I would like to subscribe DSL from SNET.
But it looks like that they only support Windows.
I am using Linux, does any body tried PPPoE on SNET DSL?
Thank you.

Youxin

Anybody using SNET DSL service?

Post by dave » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

you could always get a linksys DSL/Cable router which would do the PPoE for you ....

> I would like to subscribe DSL from SNET.
> But it looks like that they only support Windows.
> I am using Linux, does any body tried PPPoE on SNET DSL?
> Thank you.

> Youxin

Anybody using SNET DSL service?

Post by Spam Me No » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> you could always get a linksys DSL/Cable router which would do the PPoE

for you ....

Hi Dave,
There is an initial sign up which is done by SNET which sadly requires
Windows, after that you are correct a DSL/Cable router works great:-)

Post by John Dunca » Mon, 14 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > you could always get a linksys DSL/Cable router which would do the PPoE
> for you ....

> Hi Dave,
> There is an initial sign up which is done by SNET which sadly requires
> Windows, after that you are correct a DSL/Cable router works great:-)

Are you sure?  PPPoE ordinarily requires a log-on sequence, but some of the DSL routers (people seem to have the best luck with NetGear--stay away from the LinkSys if you do PPPoE) have that ability programmed in.  You can also get clients for other OSs, including Mac, and Linux/BSD, among others, so Windows isn't the only supported OS.

--
Please do not e-mail on topic comments, newspost-em!
John Duncan

Post by Spam Me No » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

log-on sequence, but some of the DSL routers (people seem to have the best
luck with NetGear--stay away from the LinkSys if you do PPPoE) have that
ability programmed in.  You can also get clients for other OSs, including
Mac, and Linux/BSD, among others, so Windows isn't the only supported OS.

Hi John,
Yes, I'm sure, SNET requires some setup of PPPoE which requires their
software on a supported OS, after that it's usual logon (at least this was
the case in early April when I was hooked up). Login with userid and
password after initial setup is easy, and the LinkSys handles it without a
problem. However the very initial setup couldn't be done as best I
understand it (and saw it) without either the software SNET provided on a
SNET OS or perhaps authorization at a remote facility (something they were
uninclined to do at the time).

Post by John Dunca » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> log-on sequence, but some of the DSL routers (people seem to have the best
> luck with NetGear--stay away from the LinkSys if you do PPPoE) have that
> ability programmed in.  You can also get clients for other OSs, including
> Mac, and Linux/BSD, among others, so Windows isn't the only supported OS.

> Hi John,
> Yes, I'm sure, SNET requires some setup of PPPoE which requires their
> software on a supported OS, after that it's usual logon (at least this was
> the case in early April when I was hooked up). Login with userid and
> password after initial setup is easy, and the LinkSys handles it without a
> problem. However the very initial setup couldn't be done as best I
> understand it (and saw it) without either the software SNET provided on a
> SNET OS or perhaps authorization at a remote facility (something they were
> uninclined to do at the time).

Ahh!!  That makes more sense now.  I originally read your reply as saying that at each log-in you had to use Windows, or another OS that would run their software.  If you just had to do it for the initial setup, that is different.