Alcatel Speedtouch USB question

Post by 71Sandma » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 09:06:42

I just switched from BellSouth to earthlink. Earthlink has had my line
provisioned for over a month but can't seem to get my modem to me. I am
trying to use my old BellSouth Modem temporarily until the Earthlink modem
shows up. BellSouth used an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem running PPPoA
software. Earthlink uses PPoE. According to the Alcatel website, this modem
will support PPPoE if you load the RFC1483 drivers and use RASPPoE. So I
have completely unistalled everything, rebooted and began to reinstall.
First I installed the Alcatel SpeedTouch(tm) USB ADSL RFC1483 drivers. Went
in as expected. Then I installed RASPPPoE. Per the instructions I ran the
RASPPPOE.EXE utility and created the dialup icon. Everything looks good
right. No error messages.

Now when I click on my dialup icon It shows dialing... then after a few
seconds it comes up with an error message that tells me the modem device did
not pick up the phone. I have a feeling I am really close to getting this
thing to work, I just can't get past this. Any help would be appreciated. By
the way, the Alcatel status lights show that it is synced up on the line. My
problems seem to be somewhere between the PC and the modem.

--
Tim

Alcatel Speedtouch USB question

Post by Bob Carric » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 09:53:16

I'm not sure if this is because your userid is incorrect or if your service
is not actually provisioned.  The later sounds more correct since that is
not the standard error message for userid.  Even though use your userid but
include your ISP's domain. IE: for verizon it would have been

--
Bob
http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe.htm - The largest PPPoE FAQ & How To

Quote:> I just switched from BellSouth to earthlink. Earthlink has had my line
> provisioned for over a month but can't seem to get my modem to me. I am
> trying to use my old BellSouth Modem temporarily until the Earthlink modem
> shows up. BellSouth used an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem running PPPoA
> software. Earthlink uses PPoE. According to the Alcatel website, this
modem
> will support PPPoE if you load the RFC1483 drivers and use RASPPoE. So I
> have completely unistalled everything, rebooted and began to reinstall.
> First I installed the Alcatel SpeedTouch(tm) USB ADSL RFC1483 drivers.
Went
> in as expected. Then I installed RASPPPoE. Per the instructions I ran the
> RASPPPOE.EXE utility and created the dialup icon. Everything looks good
> right. No error messages.

> Now when I click on my dialup icon It shows dialing... then after a few
> seconds it comes up with an error message that tells me the modem device
did
> not pick up the phone. I have a feeling I am really close to getting this
> thing to work, I just can't get past this. Any help would be appreciated.
By
> the way, the Alcatel status lights show that it is synced up on the line.
My
> problems seem to be somewhere between the PC and the modem.

> --
> Tim

Alcatel Speedtouch USB question

Post by 71Sandma » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 10:26:07

I have succesfully setup my dialup account. The settings are the same so I
am 99% sure that I have the login info correct. It used to be that I would
see dialing for about 1 second then it would say authenticating or something
like that. I don't even get past the diailng message now. Any other
thoughts?

Post by Guess Wh » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 11:22:16

: I'm not sure if this is because your userid is incorrect or if your
service
: is not actually provisioned.  The later sounds more correct since that is
: not the standard error message for userid.  Even though use your userid
but
: include your ISP's domain. IE: for verizon it would have been

:
: --
[...]

: >
: > Now when I click on my dialup icon It shows dialing... then after a few
: > seconds it comes up with an error message that tells me the modem device
: did
: > not pick up the phone. I have a feeling I am really close to getting
this
: > thing to work, I just can't get past this. Any help would be
appreciated.
: By
: > the way, the Alcatel status lights show that it is synced up on the
line.
: My
: > problems seem to be somewhere between the PC and the modem.
: >
: > --
: > Tim
: >
: >
:
:
:

Alcatel Speedtouch USB question

Post by 71Sandma » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 13:31:12

I figured it out. Earthlink recently changed the VPI and VCI settings.
They are now as follows
VPI #= 0 (used to be 8)

VCI #= 35