To switch or not to switch, that is the question.....

To switch or not to switch, that is the question.....

Post by remove the obvious to rep » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Ok, here goes...

I ordered BA DSL a while back and contrary to most peoples story my
service has been just fine (knock on wood).

Thing is, now that competitors are in my CO and I now have a choice in
whose DSL service to use I am stuck with the question of if it is
worth it or not.

I have received emails from Telocity and a couple others offering
service at better price points or speeds than BA is providing.  I
called Telocity to check and while DSLReports.com lists them as
offering 512/256 and 1500/256, the rep told me that they are really
offering 640/128-256 depending on distance. (Shouldn't be an issue for
me since I'm only 6,500 ft from my CO) They are offering a no install
fee, free modem, no contract, static IP, etc for $49/month which seems
pretty good, but in talking with the Telocity rep he said that they
are using BA's DSLAMs and hardware, does anyone know if this is true?

Frankly for me, BA has been pretty good, but I would really like to
get a bit more upstream performance and the static IP.  (I hate the
whole PPPoE thing. It's an unnecessary hoop to have to jump through
and there are better ways to handle provisioning, but thats another
story..)

Anyone got any words of advice or comparisons between BA and Telocity
or whatever?

TIA,
Chris

Post by Phil Leonar » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:(bobb) writes:
>Read the BA's fine prints, didn't you sign up for a 6-mos, 1-yr
>contract?

No contract with them now. There used to be one a while back.

To switch or not to switch, that is the question.....

Post by la.. » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Ok, here goes...

> I ordered BA DSL a while back and contrary to most peoples story my
> service has been just fine (knock on wood).

> Thing is, now that competitors are in my CO and I now have a choice in
> whose DSL service to use I am stuck with the question of if it is
> worth it or not.

> I have received emails from Telocity and a couple others offering
> service at better price points or speeds than BA is providing.  I
> called Telocity to check and while DSLReports.com lists them as
> offering 512/256 and 1500/256, the rep told me that they are really
> offering 640/128-256 depending on distance. (Shouldn't be an issue for
> me since I'm only 6,500 ft from my CO) They are offering a no install
> fee, free modem, no contract, static IP, etc for $49/month which seems
> pretty good, but in talking with the Telocity rep he said that they
> are using BA's DSLAMs and hardware, does anyone know if this is true?

> Frankly for me, BA has been pretty good, but I would really like to
> get a bit more upstream performance and the static IP.  (I hate the
> whole PPPoE thing. It's an unnecessary hoop to have to jump through
> and there are better ways to handle provisioning, but thats another
> story..)

> Anyone got any words of advice or comparisons between BA and Telocity
> or whatever?

> TIA,
> Chris

go to WWW.ACEDSL.com   They offer static IP's......  More than one mailbox.....

---
Posted from DSLreports.com .. availability,prices,reviews,forums!
visit us today -----------------------  http://www.DSLreports.com

To switch or not to switch, that is the question.....

Post by bob » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:54:43 GMT, "Chris Young (remove the obvious to

>Ok, here goes...

Read the BA's fine prints, didn't you sign up for a 6-mos, 1-yr
contract?

-bobb

To switch or not to switch, that is the question.....

Post by MachBuste » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Sheesh <g> Why would you leave the devil you know for the one you don't.
Damn, BA is working, rumor has it that they are going to 128 soon, their is
no contract with BA, I got free installation and all went comparatively
smoothly <bg>.  What more do you want?? Chances are, with any of the CLECs
you will have to sign a contract.  My advice - stay stay the hell where you
are!  You are doing fine, and when some fantastic deal shows up elsewhere
you can always eject/abandon ship <VBG> But beware - mariners know that it
is foolish to abandon a ship that's still floating <g>.

--
"I seek the company of those who have lived beyond the edge,
If I seem aloof and haughty,

Tally Ho!
"Chris Young (remove the obvious to reply)"

Quote:> Ok, here goes...

> I ordered BA DSL a while back and contrary to most peoples story my
> service has been just fine (knock on wood).

> Thing is, now that competitors are in my CO and I now have a choice in
> whose DSL service to use I am stuck with the question of if it is
> worth it or not.

> I have received emails from Telocity and a couple others offering
> service at better price points or speeds than BA is providing.  I
> called Telocity to check and while DSLReports.com lists them as
> offering 512/256 and 1500/256, the rep told me that they are really
> offering 640/128-256 depending on distance. (Shouldn't be an issue for
> me since I'm only 6,500 ft from my CO) They are offering a no install
> fee, free modem, no contract, static IP, etc for $49/month which seems
> pretty good, but in talking with the Telocity rep he said that they
> are using BA's DSLAMs and hardware, does anyone know if this is true?

> Frankly for me, BA has been pretty good, but I would really like to
> get a bit more upstream performance and the static IP.  (I hate the
> whole PPPoE thing. It's an unnecessary hoop to have to jump through
> and there are better ways to handle provisioning, but thats another
> story..)

> Anyone got any words of advice or comparisons between BA and Telocity
> or whatever?

> TIA,
> Chris

1. Cisco ATM Switch not getting LECS from Fore Switch

I have a Cisco Catalyst 5000 switch running IOS version 12.0(16) and a
Cisco Catalyst 3000 both connected to a ForeRunner LE155 switch
running version 5.3.1. The problem is, neither Cisco switch is
receiving the LECS via ilmi. I got instructions off Fore Systems (now
Marconi) web page to do this. All I had to do was Enter the following
command:

ATM_Switch::configure nsap registry> new lecs 1a* 1 <nsap_addr>

It is however still not working. Does anyone know what I am doing
wrong or not doing so I can make this work. Thanks.

/Rick

2. Houston 8 pen Plotter

3. To buy a Core Switch or not to buy a Core Switch

4. shared libraries and quickdraw globals

5. 3Com Switch not switching....

6. MSSQL to PgSQL

7. To be Switches, Or not to be Switches

8. NIH style files?

9. WTB: Alteon Switches/ Extreme Network Switches/ XLNT Switches

10. Question: Reverse telnet with a 2509 : does not work on switches

11. Am I Making a Mistake Switching from cable to DSL?

12. trunking between Cisco Catalyst 500 switch and other type of switch