New cans outside - could DSL be coming?

Post by Son.. » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:46:56

I've been trying to get DSL for over a year.  I'm $500 poorer (thanks to
Internet Express) and surfing at 26.4 with no end in sight.

Within the last couple of weeks, however, two, 2 and a half foot high green
canisters have cropped up next to my house, with writing on them saying
something about telephony and broadband (so I'm guessing it ain't the cable
co.)

Are things looking up, or is Verizon just installing empty cans to keep us
guessing?  Checking on their website reveals the sad fact that "Sorry, DSL
is not available on your phone line yet."

I'm generally measured at around 13,000 ft, and it's about 2.8 miles by road
from the local phone co. outpost.  I'm in a relatively new development
('93-'94), but the local cabling is no good for DSL, so I'm told. (And not
much good for analog modems either!)

   With Seven Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

New cans outside - could DSL be coming?

Post by Chris Stefa » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:01:14

Might be a remote dslam thingy.

Quote:> I've been trying to get DSL for over a year.  I'm $500 poorer (thanks to
> Internet Express) and surfing at 26.4 with no end in sight.

> Within the last couple of weeks, however, two, 2 and a half foot high
green
> canisters have cropped up next to my house, with writing on them saying
> something about telephony and broadband (so I'm guessing it ain't the
cable
> co.)

> Are things looking up, or is Verizon just installing empty cans to keep us
> guessing?  Checking on their website reveals the sad fact that "Sorry, DSL
> is not available on your phone line yet."

> I'm generally measured at around 13,000 ft, and it's about 2.8 miles by
road
> from the local phone co. outpost.  I'm in a relatively new development
> ('93-'94), but the local cabling is no good for DSL, so I'm told. (And not
> much good for analog modems either!)

http://www.uncensored-news.com

Quote:>    With Seven Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News
Source

New cans outside - could DSL be coming?

Post by Vaugh » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:22:44

A green can can be a pedestal for phone service (no help here) or for cable.
If it's cable likely fiber since only a fool would install copper today.  A
new development and the wires aren't suitable for DSL?  Sounds like bull but
DSL is fussy.  If Verizon is you're choice you're better at 26.4.  Actually
though, for $70 you can get satellite internet two way or for a lot less one
way.  Not as cheap as my cable modem ($40) but not outrageous.  For $100
plus for IDSL and an equal equipment cost, it's a winner.  If you bring
you're own ISP you cand save $10 per month on the one way.

http://www.directpc.com/Index.asp

Quote:> I've been trying to get DSL for over a year.  I'm $500 poorer (thanks to
> Internet Express) and surfing at 26.4 with no end in sight.

> Within the last couple of weeks, however, two, 2 and a half foot high
green
> canisters have cropped up next to my house, with writing on them saying
> something about telephony and broadband (so I'm guessing it ain't the
cable
> co.)

> Are things looking up, or is Verizon just installing empty cans to keep us
> guessing?  Checking on their website reveals the sad fact that "Sorry, DSL
> is not available on your phone line yet."

> I'm generally measured at around 13,000 ft, and it's about 2.8 miles by
road
> from the local phone co. outpost.  I'm in a relatively new development
> ('93-'94), but the local cabling is no good for DSL, so I'm told. (And not
> much good for analog modems either!)

http://www.uncensored-news.com

Quote:>    With Seven Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News
Source

New cans outside - could DSL be coming?

Post by Kent W. Englan » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:55:12

Quote:

> Within the last couple of weeks, however, two, 2 and a half foot high green
> canisters have cropped up next to my house, with writing on them saying
> something about telephony and broadband (so I'm guessing it ain't the cable
> co.)

> Are things looking up, or is Verizon just installing empty cans to keep us
> guessing?  Checking on their website reveals the sad fact that "Sorry, DSL
> is not available on your phone line yet."

That size can looks more like a cable repeater than a DSL multiplexer.
Sorry.
Quote:

> I'm generally measured at around 13,000 ft, and it's about 2.8 miles by road
> from the local phone co. outpost.  I'm in a relatively new development
> ('93-'94), but the local cabling is no good for DSL, so I'm told. (And not
> much good for analog modems either!)

If the "local cabling is no good for DSL", Verizon has two possible
choices to offer you wireline DSL service:

1) Your copper wiring goes 13 kft all the way back to the central
office. The only equipment in your neighborhood is wiring cabinets.
These are about four feet high, four feet wide and two feet deep with
doors that open up the street side of the box. Verizon could install
another cabinet adjacent to this wiring cabinet and install a DSLAM for
your neighborhood, wired back to the central office on a fiber, coax, or
copper connection from the wiring cabinet. They don't want to have to do
this and so far they haven't.

2) Your copper wiring goes a few thousand feet back to a box called a
"subscriber loop carrier" or "digital loop carrier" box. This box
terminates your neighborhood copper wiring onto a multiplexer that
converts your analog voice signals to digital and carries 24 voice
channels back to the central office on a "channelized T1 circuit". These
SLC/DLC multiplexers have cards in slots that serve one, two, or four
copper circuits. There are a host of old and new vendors offering
Lucent-compatible cards that add DSL to the voice service on a slot-by-
slot basis. The SLC must be one of the newer Lucent SLCs that has a cell
bus as well as a TDM voice bus. The older SLCs cannot be upgraded to
support DSL and the only choice is IDSL (always on ISDN).

This latter option is a great option for offering DSL service to remote
neighborhoods constructed in the last few years that have Lucent SLC-5s.
Verizon has only to replace a card at a time to offer DSL service to a
handful of customers as they sign up. Look for all the phone companies
to begin opening up these neighborhoods for DSL as soon as they finish
evaluating these new equipment options.

See http://www.catena.com/solutions/cnx5/ for an example of a startup
offering these slot card upgrades for the Lucent SLC-5.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows networking

New cans outside - could DSL be coming?

Post by nish » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:10:04

Quote:>A green can can be a pedestal for phone service (no help here) or for
>cable. If it's cable likely fiber since only a fool would install copper
>today.  A new development and the wires aren't suitable for DSL?  Sounds
>like bull but DSL is fussy.  If Verizon is you're choice you're better
>at 26.4.  Actually though, for $70 you can get satellite internet two
>way or for a lot less one way.  Not as cheap as my cable modem ($40) but
>not outrageous.  For $100 plus for IDSL and an equal equipment cost,
>it's a winner.  If you bring you're own ISP you cand save $10 per month
>on the one way.

>http://www.directpc.com/Index.asp

I suggest that anyone remotely considering DirectPC sneak over to
alt.satellite.direcpc and see what other users have to say.  If you think
your Telco is bad, Hughes is far worse..  In fact they'll throttle you back
to 26.4 if you go over some invisible bandwidth 'threshold.' Avoid it.

Post by Mark Cardwel » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:00:39

> I've been trying to get DSL for over a year.  I'm $500 poorer (thanks to
> Internet Express) and surfing at 26.4 with no end in sight.

> Within the last couple of weeks, however, two, 2 and a half foot high green
> canisters have cropped up next to my house, with writing on them saying
> something about telephony and broadband (so I'm guessing it ain't the cable
> co.)

> Are things looking up, or is Verizon just installing empty cans to keep us
> guessing?  Checking on their website reveals the sad fact that "Sorry, DSL
> is not available on your phone line yet."

> I'm generally measured at around 13,000 ft, and it's about 2.8 miles by road
> from the local phone co. outpost.  I'm in a relatively new development
> ('93-'94), but the local cabling is no good for DSL, so I'm told. (And not
> much good for analog modems either!)

It is almost certainly cable.  When broadband cable was installed in my neighborhood
they installed new boxes that say "Broadband Telecommunications."  I have telephone
service through my cable company, so yes it can deliver telephone (not all providers
offer this).  If the new boxes are, in fact, cable you should be able to subscribe to
high-speed service in the near future.

The telephone company does not need to add a new box in front of your house to add DSL
service.  If they had added a remote DSLAM it would involve work in the large box in
the front of your neighborhood, not anything at your house.

New cans outside - could DSL be coming?

Post by Bill Somervill » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:28:42

Check out StarBand (http://www.starband.com).  No phoneline needed ("real"
two-way satellite).  Folks seem pretty happy with it.

--  Bill

> >A green can can be a pedestal for phone service (no help here) or for
> >cable. If it's cable likely fiber since only a fool would install copper
> >today.  A new development and the wires aren't suitable for DSL?  Sounds
> >like bull but DSL is fussy.  If Verizon is you're choice you're better
> >at 26.4.  Actually though, for $70 you can get satellite internet two
> >way or for a lot less one way.  Not as cheap as my cable modem ($40) but
> >not outrageous.  For $100 plus for IDSL and an equal equipment cost,
> >it's a winner.  If you bring you're own ISP you cand save $10 per month
> >on the one way.

> >http://www.directpc.com/Index.asp

> I suggest that anyone remotely considering DirectPC sneak over to
> alt.satellite.direcpc and see what other users have to say.  If you think
> your Telco is bad, Hughes is far worse..  In fact they'll throttle you
back
> to 26.4 if you go over some invisible bandwidth 'threshold.' Avoid it.

New cans outside - could DSL be coming?

Post by Jack A » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:51:42

Some folks aren't happy with Starband...
Check the April 19th item here:

http://www.tripled.com/sattimes/sattimes.htm

> Check out StarBand (http://www.starband.com).  No phoneline needed ("real"
> two-way satellite).  Folks seem pretty happy with it.

> --  Bill

> > >A green can can be a pedestal for phone service (no help here) or for
> > >cable. If it's cable likely fiber since only a fool would install copper
> > >today.  A new development and the wires aren't suitable for DSL?  Sounds
> > >like bull but DSL is fussy.  If Verizon is you're choice you're better
> > >at 26.4.  Actually though, for $70 you can get satellite internet two
> > >way or for a lot less one way.  Not as cheap as my cable modem ($40) but
> > >not outrageous.  For $100 plus for IDSL and an equal equipment cost,
> > >it's a winner.  If you bring you're own ISP you cand save $10 per month
> > >on the one way.

> > >http://www.directpc.com/Index.asp

> > I suggest that anyone remotely considering DirectPC sneak over to
> > alt.satellite.direcpc and see what other users have to say.  If you think
> > your Telco is bad, Hughes is far worse..  In fact they'll throttle you
> back
> > to 26.4 if you go over some invisible bandwidth 'threshold.' Avoid it.

New cans outside - could DSL be coming?

Post by Chris Stefa » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 04:02:45

If you like 500ms minimum pings...sure...and if you like an outage everytime
it rains hard...go for it.

> Check out StarBand (http://www.starband.com).  No phoneline needed ("real"
> two-way satellite).  Folks seem pretty happy with it.

> --  Bill

> > >A green can can be a pedestal for phone service (no help here) or for
> > >cable. If it's cable likely fiber since only a fool would install
copper
> > >today.  A new development and the wires aren't suitable for DSL?
Sounds
> > >like bull but DSL is fussy.  If Verizon is you're choice you're better
> > >at 26.4.  Actually though, for $70 you can get satellite internet two
> > >way or for a lot less one way.  Not as cheap as my cable modem ($40)
but
> > >not outrageous.  For $100 plus for IDSL and an equal equipment cost,
> > >it's a winner.  If you bring you're own ISP you cand save $10 per month
> > >on the one way.

> > >http://www.directpc.com/Index.asp

> > I suggest that anyone remotely considering DirectPC sneak over to
> > alt.satellite.direcpc and see what other users have to say.  If you
think
> > your Telco is bad, Hughes is far worse..  In fact they'll throttle you
> back
> > to 26.4 if you go over some invisible bandwidth 'threshold.' Avoid it.

New cans outside - could DSL be coming?

Post by Ronnie » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:22:02

In fact, my town does have remote DSLAM's. 3 sites do exists and we are
filling them up quick...Plano, Texas

Post by Bart Barto » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 06:34:17

> In fact, my town does have remote DSLAM's. 3 sites do exists and we are
> filling them up quick...Plano, Texas

This must be one reason why we can't get Verizon to talk to us out here
in the boonies (Brownwood) about ADSL. They're too busy selling it in
the Dallas/Fort Worth area. :) One of Verizon Southwest's  regional
presidents actually had the gaul to state us folks in the rural ares
should be perfectly happy with ISDN access. Obviously he's not aware
how "well" it works, at least down here. I know by experience,
unfortunately, 18 months of it. :)