upload requirements for web hosting

Post by Daniel Donghoon Pa » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have been searching on the internet and the newsgroup archives but I haven't been able to find the information that I need.

I am wondering if there are any benchmarks/requirements for the amount of upload speed needed to handle roughly X
pageviews/day.

I guess at this point, even "educated guesses" are welcome.

This is so that I can determine how much upload speed I will need to host a website and if DSL is even an option.

I am looking for a list like (these numbers are just an example and are NOT going to be accurate)

upload speed            page view/day   concurrent connections that it can handle
128K                    1,000           10
384K                    10,000          50
1.5MB                   1,000,000       1,000
etc...

to my understanding, a 128K upload will only allow for 128Kbsp at any given time.  so if theoretically there are 10 people all
downloading a big file, they will be downloading at a maximum of 1.28Kbsp each, not 128Kbsp each.

i'm not running a warez site or anything like that...just html so more likely it will be a lot of people hitting html pages,
reading, then hitting another one, etc.  i don't want to go with my current web hosting company because i am too limited in
what i can do.  i need to be able to run my own servers (web, imap, database, application server, etc.).

thanks.

Dan.

--
Daniel Paik http://www.hanguk.com/uctt    ICQ: 24635084
hey, go check out http://www.hanguk.com!

1. Web hosting server NW capacity requirements planning

Hello,

I am Scott Sheppard. I am new to the internet working world. I am attempting
to calculate or to find information about network capacity requirements for
web hosting servers. Can anyone direct me to resources that gives
information about typical NW traffic for commercial web hosting
environments. I should think this is a problem / question that CISCO has
delt with before.

My deepest thanks.

Scott Sheppard

2. M02 D&B - Where arer the new features?

3. Web Hosting Requirement

4. HP 6578 & 51645 refill levels

5. Mail Source Routing (was Re: New Host-Requirement RFCs)

6. MySQL Still a wise choice for developers?

7. Download/upload of files from Unix host to PC via 2511

8. pc requirements for web surfing

9. down- and uploading with procomm+ on UNIX HOST

10. San Diego Users: Upload Cap Information Web Page

11. COMCAST: I cannot see pictures I upload to my Web Page