Directv DSL Upload Speed Problem (BellSouth territory)

Directv DSL Upload Speed Problem (BellSouth territory)

Post by Don Brad » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:39:29

There seems to be a problem with upload speeds for DirectvInternet DSL
customers in the Cary/Raleigh  NC area (me and others).  (Download speeds are
fine - close to 1500)

In this area, Directv DSL uses the BellSouth DSLAM's, which support 1500/256.

The status page shows 1500/256 as it should.

But actual uploads and speed tests max out always under 128 upload speed.

Studying archived test results for this area at dsreports.com shows that while
BellSouth customers are getting closer to 256, Telocity / Directv customers are
always well under 128.

I have just raised an incident with Tech. Support, but meanwhile, has anyone
else noticed this and/or investigated it?

Thanks,

Don

Directv DSL Upload Speed Problem (BellSouth territory)

Post by Jeff Henkel » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:43:47

I've been with DirecTV/Telocity in Atlanta for about 2 years now; speeds do
seem to have come down a bit recently.  I'm now getting upload speeds as
measured by dslreport's speed tests in the 120-128 kb/s range -- 6 months
ago, they were in the 200 kb/s range.

Download speeds, however, don't seem to have decreased very much; still in
the 1100/1200 kb/s range.

Quote:> There seems to be a problem with upload speeds for DirectvInternet DSL
> customers in the Cary/Raleigh  NC area (me and others).  (Download speeds
are
> fine - close to 1500)

> In this area, Directv DSL uses the BellSouth DSLAM's, which support
1500/256.

> The status page shows 1500/256 as it should.

> But actual uploads and speed tests max out always under 128 upload speed.

> Studying archived test results for this area at dsreports.com shows that
while
> BellSouth customers are getting closer to 256, Telocity / Directv
customers are
> always well under 128.

> I have just raised an incident with Tech. Support, but meanwhile, has
anyone
> else noticed this and/or investigated it?

> Thanks,

> Don

1. REQ: Info on DirecTV DSL, Bellsouth and RoadRunner

  I've had directv's dsl service and I currently have bellsouth.
  My advice is to go bellsouth. They cost the same, and the only thing that
you are *technically* missing out on is the static ip address that you get
with directv. In fact, you are gaining things like tech support, a working
news server, working mail, and a company that is responsive to the customer.
Take a look at www.dslreports.com for more info about directv and their
inability to keep things together.
  I have nothing but good things to say about bellsouth.

2. Do Compuserver, AOL, etc., run Unix ?

3. DSL upload speed negatively affects download speed

4. DSL Pricing

5. Speed touch Usb modem and DirecTV DSL

6. SBC Yahoo! DSL Named Preferred Product for DIRECTV DSL Customers

7. LAN Conversion From DirecTV DSL To SBC/Yahoo! DSL

8. Cisco 827 with DirecTV DSL / Telocity DSL??

9. Hardware device to power-cycle Telocity/DirecTV DSL gateway/modem with sync-no-surf problem

10. DirecTV DSL or PacBell DSL

11. DSL upload Speed