newbie question

Post by Mark Smyth » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quick question hopefully someone can answer

Can I use my DSL to feed a hub for 2 or more PC's????

Thanks.....

newbie question

Post by Chris Smit » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Don't plug your DSL line directly into your hub. That can broadcast
traffic from your network out onto the Internet, and apart from being
annoying, probably violates the terms of your DSL contract with your
provider.

Yes, you can share your Internet connection over your network, but check
www.timhiggins.com to start learning how. Good luck.

> Quick question hopefully someone can answer

> Can I use my DSL to feed a hub for 2 or more PC's????

> Thanks.....

newbie question

Post by Nathaniel Web » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

You bet.

Quote:> Quick question hopefully someone can answer

> Can I use my DSL to feed a hub for 2 or more PC's????

> Thanks.....

newbie question

Post by John Nava » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.xdsl]

>Quick question hopefully someone can answer

>Can I use my DSL to feed a hub for 2 or more PC's????

Yes, if you have an IP address from your provider for each PC (although
there are security issues).  Otherwise you need some sort of sharing, as
described in my webpage below (along with advice on security).

--
Best regards,
John Navas     <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

1. newbie: cisco vlan newbie question

Hi,

I have a router 1721 router with 2 WAN Interface Cards (WICs) and 1 buildin
fastethernet:

WIC-1ENET -> USED FOR INTERNET CONNECTIONS:
1) Ethernet0  = is connected to a TV cable modem (for internet browsing
etc..) and gets it's ip address from a dhcp server

BUILDIN FASTETHERNET:
2) fastethernet0 = 172.16.43.1
This ethernet is connected to a third-party switch (from TRENDNET) where I
have my home network connected: 172.16.43.0 / 255.255.255.0
All PCs get there ip address from a dhcp server running on the cisco router.

I have bought a WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface
Card
Which are:
3) fastethernet1
4) fastethernet2
5) fastethernet3
6) fastethernet4

I would like to connect a PC to fastethernet1 (from WIC-4ESW ) with an ip
address of 172.16.1.1
a) The pc (with IP 172.16.1.1) should be able to ping any host on the
internet
b) The pc (with IP 172.16.1.1) should be able to ping any host on the
network 172.16.43.0
c) The network 172.16.43.0 should be able to ping the 172.16.1.1 host

How do I have to configure the vlan stuff etc....?
Unfortunately I have no experience and no idea how to do a vlan
configuration.
So "any" help (links, books etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. FA: Loaded Sun SS20 with Dual SM71's

3. Newbie question - Cisco 675 / ftp question

4. PowerPlant FTP transfer

5. newbie question: vpn questions

6. Administrivia: Troubles With Mail Continue

7. How to Open Port (Total Newbie Question)

8. Mac/MicroWarehouse, $99 LineLink, and

9. Newbie question - PPP Configuration on Cisco routers

10. Newbie Question; Cisco 837

11. newbie question: Global Roaming Server

12. Newbie question C837

13. newbie question ?