Another Flashcom Rant

Post by Mary » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I heard about Flashcom in early October, and after speaking to them
several times and comparing pricing, I placed an order for service.
They charged $100 as a deposit.

Over two months later and maybe 40 emails between me and Flashcom and
Covad, I have nothing to show for it. There isnt a line to be had, and
while they have scheduled to come out hook it up twice, they canceled
on me both times.

Today, as I finally started snooping around, I left my office phone on
speaker and logged over 1hr 45 min on hold to their customer service
dept. I found this group, the other DSL related one and a few web
pages dedicated to exposing this fraud.

I feel like an idiot for not researching this further. I fully expect
to get my $100 back, no matter how long it takes.

One question: I couldnt find anything about them in the BBB website.
Has anyone reported them? Are there other outlets we can take to hit
them where it hurts, in reputation and pocketbook?

Pissed off,
Mary

Another Flashcom Rant

Post by Jason McNort » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I heard about Flashcom in early October, and after speaking to them
> several times and comparing pricing, I placed an order for service.
> They charged $100 as a deposit.

> Over two months later and maybe 40 emails between me and Flashcom and
> Covad, I have nothing to show for it. There isnt a line to be had, and
> while they have scheduled to come out hook it up twice, they canceled
> on me both times.

> Today, as I finally started snooping around, I left my office phone on
> speaker and logged over 1hr 45 min on hold to their customer service
> dept. I found this group, the other DSL related one and a few web
> pages dedicated to exposing this fraud.

> I feel like an idiot for not researching this further. I fully expect
> to get my $100 back, no matter how long it takes.

> One question: I couldnt find anything about them in the BBB website.
> Has anyone reported them? Are there other outlets we can take to hit
> them where it hurts, in reputation and pocketbook?

This Flashcom thing seems to be incredibly bad.  I'm waiting for $100
back, since they made me sign up again, complete with a new deposit.  So
now I have $200 outstanding with them.

Now they tell me the local CO doesn't have the equipment for DSL
afterall, and they were supposed to tell me today what is going on.  I
gave up after almost 2 hours on hold.

It's frightening how bad they've been.  And it sounds like they are that
way to everyone.  Pathetic.

Another Flashcom Rant

Post by Mary » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

You and I are in the exact same boat.
I was told it was all ready to go, just send the $$$ and guys would
come out and I'd have 192 both ways for $49 a month. ( But how did
they get $200 out of you?)

In reality, there are no lines in my area. A call to the PhoneCo
confirmed that. They lied to me and I have reason to believe they knew
there were no available lines, but sold me the service promising me
otherwise.

My guess? Its like an elaborate Pyramid scheme, where the first-in
users are demanding their money back, and Flash-in-the-panCom is using
our money ( the newest herd of suckers) to pay the older users.

Im really pissed off. The more I read how many people have been
screwed, the more pissed I get.
I signed no contract which may be my out and recourse.
Meanwhile, I set up a hotmail box:

<<replace dot with . naturally....>>

Please, if anyone is so inclined, send your stories to me there.
Include a valid email address so I can get back to you if need be. I
can forward this info to the AG office in Cal. The power of numbers,
coupled with fun little phrases like :

fraud
lawsuit
and deceptive, unethical business practices

really warm my heart...

( I too have spent over 3 F%$#& hours on the phone today, on HOLD THE
ENTIRE TIME trying to speak with someone.)

-Mary

----------

>> I heard about Flashcom in early October, and after speaking to them
>> several times and comparing pricing, I placed an order for service.
>> They charged $100 as a deposit.

>> Over two months later and maybe 40 emails between me and Flashcom and
>> Covad, I have nothing to show for it. There isnt a line to be had, and
>> while they have scheduled to come out hook it up twice, they canceled
>> on me both times.

>> Today, as I finally started snooping around, I left my office phone on
>> speaker and logged over 1hr 45 min on hold to their customer service
>> dept. I found this group, the other DSL related one and a few web
>> pages dedicated to exposing this fraud.

>> I feel like an idiot for not researching this further. I fully expect
>> to get my $100 back, no matter how long it takes.

>> One question: I couldnt find anything about them in the BBB website.
>> Has anyone reported them? Are there other outlets we can take to hit
>> them where it hurts, in reputation and pocketbook?

>This Flashcom thing seems to be incredibly bad.  I'm waiting for $100
>back, since they made me sign up again, complete with a new deposit.  So
>now I have $200 outstanding with them.

>Now they tell me the local CO doesn't have the equipment for DSL
>afterall, and they were supposed to tell me today what is going on.  I
>gave up after almost 2 hours on hold.

>It's frightening how bad they've been.  And it sounds like they are that
>way to everyone.  Pathetic.

Another Flashcom Rant

Post by toluna » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Some Flashcom support people were trying to put up burning flames at local
DSLReports.com groups. Perhaps, you can find e-mail addresses there. I do not
know if they are still valid.

Regards,
Tolunay

> You and I are in the exact same boat.
> I was told it was all ready to go, just send the $$$ and guys would
> come out and I'd have 192 both ways for $49 a month. ( But how did
> they get $200 out of you?)

> In reality, there are no lines in my area. A call to the PhoneCo
> confirmed that. They lied to me and I have reason to believe they knew
> there were no available lines, but sold me the service promising me
> otherwise.

> My guess? Its like an elaborate Pyramid scheme, where the first-in
> users are demanding their money back, and Flash-in-the-panCom is using
> our money ( the newest herd of suckers) to pay the older users.

> Im really pissed off. The more I read how many people have been
> screwed, the more pissed I get.
> I signed no contract which may be my out and recourse.
> Meanwhile, I set up a hotmail box:

> <<replace dot with . naturally....>>

> Please, if anyone is so inclined, send your stories to me there.
> Include a valid email address so I can get back to you if need be. I
> can forward this info to the AG office in Cal. The power of numbers,
> coupled with fun little phrases like :

> fraud
> lawsuit
> and deceptive, unethical business practices

> really warm my heart...

> ( I too have spent over 3 F%$#& hours on the phone today, on HOLD THE
> ENTIRE TIME trying to speak with someone.)

> -Mary

> ----------

> >> I heard about Flashcom in early October, and after speaking to them
> >> several times and comparing pricing, I placed an order for service.
> >> They charged $100 as a deposit.

> >> Over two months later and maybe 40 emails between me and Flashcom and
> >> Covad, I have nothing to show for it. There isnt a line to be had, and
> >> while they have scheduled to come out hook it up twice, they canceled
> >> on me both times.

> >> Today, as I finally started snooping around, I left my office phone on
> >> speaker and logged over 1hr 45 min on hold to their customer service
> >> dept. I found this group, the other DSL related one and a few web
> >> pages dedicated to exposing this fraud.

> >> I feel like an idiot for not researching this further. I fully expect
> >> to get my $100 back, no matter how long it takes.

> >> One question: I couldnt find anything about them in the BBB website.
> >> Has anyone reported them? Are there other outlets we can take to hit
> >> them where it hurts, in reputation and pocketbook?

> >This Flashcom thing seems to be incredibly bad.  I'm waiting for $100
> >back, since they made me sign up again, complete with a new deposit.  So
> >now I have $200 outstanding with them.

> >Now they tell me the local CO doesn't have the equipment for DSL
> >afterall, and they were supposed to tell me today what is going on.  I
> >gave up after almost 2 hours on hold.

> >It's frightening how bad they've been.  And it sounds like they are that
> >way to everyone.  Pathetic.

---
Posted from dslreports.com... ISP reviews, PC security scans and more.

Another Flashcom Rant

Post by Computer Simple, Inc » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

My Flashcom story sounds similar to most I've read.  I'm in Boston, MA.
I called Flashcom to order 640/90 SoloSurfer offered thru Bell Atlantic.
The sales rep said my line was OK for any of the plans they offered.  He
then notifies me that the 640/90 product is not available in my area but I
can have any of their other (more expensive) plans.  I decided not to since
he said it may become available very soon.  The next day, he calls back and
informs me he was wrong and the 640/90 solosurfer with BA is mysteriously
available for my line now.  He is very anxious to get my Credit Card # for
$100.  He tells me the installation is 4-6 weeks but probably will be well
before that, possible 2 weeks and equipment will arrive in a couple of days.
A week later, no equipment so I call him and he tells me he was mistaken
about the equipment delivery but I would receive it before the service was
activated.  6 weeks go by with no word from Flashcom so I send the rep an
email and his response is this:

"The Bell Atlantic orders are on hold in the Boston area for some odd reason
Bell won't tell us why.  My advice would be to cancell this order out and
place a new one.  I know this is not what you want to hear but I assure this
is the easiet way to handle this issue.  I have dealt with this before with
many others in Boston.  Again this is a Bell issue and since we are working
with Bell it is also our issue (still Bell's fault).  So the best course of

the Bell situation in Boston and request your money to be refunded.  Then
give me a call or email me and we can talk about other options.  If you
could call today that would be great, we have a offer than I can give you
that is only availble in Nov (today is the last day in Nov)."

I request more info and his response is:

"No 250 cancell because of the situation, Bell on hold.  The offer is 416k
download and 208 upload for the same price per month."

My interpretation is that I would cancel, ask for refund of $100 and reorder
the other product with another $100 deposit.  By this time I had read all
the stories about Flashcom so I felt weird about the situation and sent an

from in the forums at DSLReports.  My email outlined my reasons for not
reapplying and I included all correspondence between myself and the Flashcom
sales rep.  I asked for confirmation that the cancellation request had been
received.  I have not heard anything since 11/30/99 so I have no idea about
the status of my refund.

I then called Bell Atlantic and ordered the same product from them.  They
gave me a definite activation date (6 days away).  The modem is already here
and they activate the service tomorrow.  They have no contract so the
service can be cancelled any time.  Activation was free.  All I paid was $99
for the modem and other equipment.

The whole thing seems really bizarre and I'm keeping all correspondence with
Flashcom in case I start having problems.  I may never get the $100 refund,
but I'm happy to not be trapped into a 2 year contract with them now.

Quote:> I heard about Flashcom in early October, and after speaking to them
> several times and comparing pricing, I placed an order for service.
> They charged $100 as a deposit.

> Over two months later and maybe 40 emails between me and Flashcom and
> Covad, I have nothing to show for it. There isnt a line to be had, and
> while they have scheduled to come out hook it up twice, they canceled
> on me both times.

> Today, as I finally started snooping around, I left my office phone on
> speaker and logged over 1hr 45 min on hold to their customer service
> dept. I found this group, the other DSL related one and a few web
> pages dedicated to exposing this fraud.

> I feel like an idiot for not researching this further. I fully expect
> to get my $100 back, no matter how long it takes.

> One question: I couldnt find anything about them in the BBB website.
> Has anyone reported them? Are there other outlets we can take to hit
> them where it hurts, in reputation and pocketbook?

> Pissed off,
> Mary

Another Flashcom Rant

Post by m.. » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Seems to me that a few organizations should be contacted for further
action:

a.  Better Business Bureau (as you stated as well)

b.  FCC (it was through the "net" that you probably heard of FC, using
the phone lines)

c.  States Attorney General

d.  Local telephone offices (they are probably leasing/contracted to
lease their lines)

e.  Consumer Protection Agencies

f.  Local and national investigative and consumer protection reporters
at your television/radio/newspapers.

Enough negative publicity will either:

a.  Put them on the right track.

b.  Put them off the track and out of the market.

Good luck!

On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 20:39:06 -0600, "Mary"