How many dsl isp's cap their news servers --- Pacbell does

How many dsl isp's cap their news servers --- Pacbell does

Post by Mant » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Just doing a little survey to see how many isp's cap their news
servers. It seems now that Pacbell is capping at 128kbps, that's right
twice the speed of a 56k modem. I would like to know if this is a
common practice or just Pacbell. Input would be appreciated.

                  Manta

How many dsl isp's cap their news servers --- Pacbell does

Post by jnj » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Here in Cincinnati, FuseNet caps their news server as well.  I'm not sure
what it's at, but at last count one user said 64kbps.  Either way, 128kbps
is a dream here in Cincy.  :(

James

Quote:> Just doing a little survey to see how many isp's cap their news

Post by jim » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>Just doing a little survey to see how many isp's cap their news
>servers. It seems now that Pacbell is capping at 128kbps, that's right
>twice the speed of a 56k modem. I would like to know if this is a
>common practice or just Pacbell. Input would be appreciated.

>                  Manta

Bell Atlantic user here, in Norfolk, *ia.

I get full speed (640 KB/s down) from the BA news server. I'm very
satisfied with the performance.

There WAS a recent period of 4 or 5 days or so when the server was
considerably slower, but they fixed it.

Newsgroup retention in some of the binary groups is not as long as I'd
like, AT&T is much better in that respect, but it's tolerable.

jim

How many dsl isp's cap their news servers --- Pacbell does

Post by Cole K » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

As far as I can tell, gte.net does not cap their servers either.  I get
consistently fast download speeds.

--
-----------------------------------

> >Just doing a little survey to see how many isp's cap their news
> >servers. It seems now that Pacbell is capping at 128kbps, that's right
> >twice the speed of a 56k modem. I would like to know if this is a
> >common practice or just Pacbell. Input would be appreciated.

> >                  Manta
> Bell Atlantic user here, in Norfolk, *ia.

> I get full speed (640 KB/s down) from the BA news server. I'm very
> satisfied with the performance.

> There WAS a recent period of 4 or 5 days or so when the server was
> considerably slower, but they fixed it.

> Newsgroup retention in some of the binary groups is not as long as I'd
> like, AT&T is much better in that respect, but it's tolerable.

> jim

How many dsl isp's cap their news servers --- Pacbell does

Post by superdud » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I use mindspring and their cap seems to be one based on load of the
news servers.. sometimes I get my FULL 155KBps (that's bytes per sec)
and others it drops down to their cap of 50KBps (yeah 1/3 the
original) so it may be a cap but it's really not all that bad.

>Just doing a little survey to see how many isp's cap their news
>servers. It seems now that Pacbell is capping at 128kbps, that's right
>twice the speed of a 56k modem. I would like to know if this is a
>common practice or just Pacbell. Input would be appreciated.

>                  Manta

How many dsl isp's cap their news servers --- Pacbell does

Post by Alex » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I'm guessing you did mean for that to be KiloBYTES and not KiloBITS
right?

So with a MSPG connection wich is a 1.5 MegaBIT line best efffort you
are getting 50Kilobytes (times 8 = 400 kilobits per second) and then
when you get the 155Kilobytes (times 8 =    1,200 kilobits per secon)
you can see what you actual speeds are :)

Alex

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 12:20:26 -0400, superdude

Post by Jim » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Just doing a little survey to see how many isp's cap their news
> servers. It seems now that Pacbell is capping at 128kbps, that's right
> twice the speed of a 56k modem. I would like to know if this is a
> common practice or just Pacbell. Input would be appreciated.

>                   Manta

SWBell caps same as pacbell, prodigy, whatever. It's prodigious b.s. to me,
384 guaranteed min speed my ass. Took the extra $10 savings from promo and
spent on UNS. No speed cap but 2.5 gig a month comes quickly!
   Jim