Switching from RoadRunner to DSL

Post by Wendyni » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Have to give up my beloved Road Runner service in Rochester NY for sunnier
weather in Tempe, AZ. I hear Cox offers cable modems, but has lots of
service slow downs. I'm thinking of 256k DLS from US West. For $37.90/mo
they bundle DSL with uswest.net. Little uneasy about this though, given the
"US Worst" reputation. Anyone have experience with DSL in the Phoenix area?

Thanks!

Switching from RoadRunner to DSL

Post by Tom Pappa » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Scottsdale reporting. USWest has been very good (with a couple of 2-3 hour
outages) since August, 1999. I ordered it in October, 1998(!)

I cannot recommend USWest as an ISP. They don't seem to have enough
knowledgeable people in the front lines yet. Go with a local outfit that has
lots of 'net experience.
--

>Have to give up my beloved Road Runner service in Rochester NY for sunnier
>weather in Tempe, AZ. I hear Cox offers cable modems, but has lots of
>service slow downs. I'm thinking of 256k DLS from US West. For $37.90/mo
>they bundle DSL with uswest.net. Little uneasy about this though, given the
>"US Worst" reputation. Anyone have experience with DSL in the Phoenix area?

>Thanks!

Switching from RoadRunner to DSL

Post by John Dunca » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

No. Phx/SunnySlope here.  USWest Megabit DSL provider/USWest.net ISP (the
package you mention).  I too can't really recommend USWest.net.  However,
for a bit more, you can try Covad/Speakeasy.  Speakeasy is an ISP out of
Seattle, and is the best rated DSL ISP nation-wide.  While you WILL have a
somewhat higher ping time (connections backhauled to the Seattle gateway),
their support gets high marks, and though they had a bad week recently when
Covad (the DSL provider) screwed something up, that occasionally happens.
They were, however, both responsive and forthright on the problem, according
to reports, which appears to be a pleasant change from most of their
competition.  The package I was looking at was $60 monthly for 368/128 (if I
recall, I might be moving later this year due to my rental being rezoned and
sold, so was checking things out), not TOO shabby.

At least in part of the valley, Cox is (or was, anyway, last I checked, I
haven't recently due to it not being available in this area, tho it is
supposed to be shortly, but haven't checked that either, since I am probably
moving) supposed to be pretty good.  I don't know if they still have it, but
at one point they were offering a 1 meg guarantee on their service.  If that
is still the case, it puts USWest Megabit (at 256k) to shame.  I don't know
about reliability, however.  You might try asking in the cable modem group.

--
Please do not e-mail on topic comments, newspost-em!
John Duncan

> Scottsdale reporting. USWest has been very good (with a couple of 2-3 hour
> outages) since August, 1999. I ordered it in October, 1998(!)

> I cannot recommend USWest as an ISP. They don't seem to have enough
> knowledgeable people in the front lines yet. Go with a local outfit that
has
> lots of 'net experience.
> --

> >Have to give up my beloved Road Runner service in Rochester NY for
sunnier
> >weather in Tempe, AZ. I hear Cox offers cable modems, but has lots of
> >service slow downs. I'm thinking of 256k DLS from US West. For $37.90/mo
> >they bundle DSL with uswest.net. Little uneasy about this though, given
the
> >"US Worst" reputation. Anyone have experience with DSL in the Phoenix
area?

> >Thanks!

Switching from RoadRunner to DSL

Post by Tom Pappa » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Yeah, but...

My USWest DSL is $30 plus ISP service (I use PCSLink. They're good.) I
consistently get 60kB download speed. Cable internet is priced in addition
to standard TV service, which I do not want.
--

>No. Phx/SunnySlope here.  USWest Megabit DSL provider/USWest.net ISP (the
>package you mention).  I too can't really recommend USWest.net.  However,
>for a bit more, you can try Covad/Speakeasy.  Speakeasy is an ISP out of
>Seattle, and is the best rated DSL ISP nation-wide.  While you WILL have a
>somewhat higher ping time (connections backhauled to the Seattle gateway),
>their support gets high marks, and though they had a bad week recently when
>Covad (the DSL provider) screwed something up, that occasionally happens.
>They were, however, both responsive and forthright on the problem,
according
>to reports, which appears to be a pleasant change from most of their
>competition.  The package I was looking at was $60 monthly for 368/128 (if
>recall, I might be moving later this year due to my rental being rezoned
and
>sold, so was checking things out), not TOO shabby.

>At least in part of the valley, Cox is (or was, anyway, last I checked, I
>haven't recently due to it not being available in this area, tho it is
>supposed to be shortly, but haven't checked that either, since I am
probably
>moving) supposed to be pretty good.  I don't know if they still have it,
but
>at one point they were offering a 1 meg guarantee on their service.  If
that
>is still the case, it puts USWest Megabit (at 256k) to shame.  I don't know
>about reliability, however.  You might try asking in the cable modem group.

>--
>Please do not e-mail on topic comments, newspost-em!
>John Duncan
>Give your computer some brain candy!
>http://www.distributed.net
>It cracked RC5-56 and DES (latest time < 24 hours, 01/19/99).
>It is now working on RC5-64 and your computer can help too!

>> Scottsdale reporting. USWest has been very good (with a couple of 2-3
hour
>> outages) since August, 1999. I ordered it in October, 1998(!)

>> I cannot recommend USWest as an ISP. They don't seem to have enough
>> knowledgeable people in the front lines yet. Go with a local outfit that
>has
>> lots of 'net experience.
>> --

>> >Have to give up my beloved Road Runner service in Rochester NY for
>sunnier
>> >weather in Tempe, AZ. I hear Cox offers cable modems, but has lots of
>> >service slow downs. I'm thinking of 256k DLS from US West. For $37.90/mo
>> >they bundle DSL with uswest.net. Little uneasy about this though, given
>the
>> >"US Worst" reputation. Anyone have experience with DSL in the Phoenix
>area?

>> >Thanks!

Switching from RoadRunner to DSL

Post by John Dunca » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Yeah, but...

> My USWest DSL is $30 plus ISP service (I use PCSLink. They're good.) I
> consistently get 60kB download speed. Cable internet is priced in addition
> to standard TV service, which I do not want.

Me either, but last time I looked, it wasn't JUST TV/Cable that qualified,
but ANY second service..  It is my understanding that at least here in Phx,
with Cox, Cable-phone service is available wherever Cable-modem service is
(they use the same two-way cable technology).  Last I checked, that ran $10
a month, which is substantially less than the current standard phone line
rate which my DSL is piggy-backed on.  It DIDN'T have a second service
qualifier with it, meaning (I think) that I could use it as the required
second service for the cable modem.  I know someone from another newsgroup
with the cable phone service, and he LOVED it.  He is still on dial-up, but
said with USW his connections were 21kbps or so, and with the cable phone
setup, he gets very close to the max allowed (53kbps).  The USW phone plant
in that area was bad, and he had been fighting for over a year to get them
to improve it b4 Cox came in, and lowered his bill, and upped his quality.

--
Please do not e-mail on topic comments, newspost-em!
John Duncan
Give your computer some brain candy!
http://www.distributed.net
It cracked RC5-56 and DES (latest time < 24 hours, 01/19/99).
It is now working on RC5-64 and your computer can help too!

Switching from RoadRunner to DSL

Post by <jasonwach.. » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Try http://www.FREEDSL.com

They will have free dsl service available in a few months, if you are
willing to look at a few small ads.  The DSL Modem is free with 10
referrals for a while, so if you subscribe to the free service, use my

Thanks!

Jason

> Have to give up my beloved Road Runner service in Rochester NY for
sunnier
> weather in Tempe, AZ. I hear Cox offers cable modems, but has lots of
> service slow downs. I'm thinking of 256k DLS from US West. For $37.90/mo
> they bundle DSL with uswest.net. Little uneasy about this though, given
the
> "US Worst" reputation. Anyone have experience with DSL in the Phoenix
area?

> Thanks!

Switching from RoadRunner to DSL

Post by John R Pierc » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

did you read their terms and conditions?  whoops!

>Newsgroups: comp.dcom.xdsl
>Subject: Re: Switching from RoadRunner to DSL
>Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 22:30:03 GMT

>Try http://www.FREEDSL.com

>They will have free dsl service available in a few months, if you are
>willing to look at a few small ads.  The DSL Modem is free with 10
>referrals for a while, so if you subscribe to the free service, use my

>Thanks!

>Jason

>> Have to give up my beloved Road Runner service in Rochester NY for
>sunnier
>> weather in Tempe, AZ. I hear Cox offers cable modems, but has lots of
>> service slow downs. I'm thinking of 256k DLS from US West. For $37.90/mo
>> they bundle DSL with uswest.net. Little uneasy about this though, given
>the
>> "US Worst" reputation. Anyone have experience with DSL in the Phoenix
>area?

>> Thanks!

>--

1. Roadrunner Raising Rates - I'm Switching to DSL

I have Roadrunner through Time Warner in New York City.  I recieved a
letter today notifying me that the rate will increase by $5.00 per
month starting December 1st.  I am already paying $63.00 a month!
I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $68.00 a month!

I will be canceling my service and I will make it loud and clear that
niether I, nor the rest of the country will take this lying down!

I encourage other Roadrunner subscribers affected by the rate increase
to join me in this protest by switching to DSL.

2. 1.75VAC between braid & ground??

3. Roadrunner vs BA DSL vs Mindspring DSL which is worth it?

4. is INT 13 the lowest level?

5. Dialup widow keeps poping up after switching to RoadRunner

6. Service pack #2 and W2K Advanced Server Multi Lingual

7. Anyone switched from Roadrunner to Earthlink on TimeWarner?

8. FS: AS5248 w/48x56K

9. Stratitec hub with "uplink" switch and RoadRunner setup?

10. Linksys DSL/Cable Router and RoadRunner

11. AT&T Roadrunner vs. PacBell DSL

12. with pacbell/earthlink dsl for a year, roadrunner for a week...should i change?

13. NYC RoadRunner Cable SLOWER than DSL!!!!