More Flashcom

Post by Jeff Follode » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:10:26

So,
Here it is the 21st of January.  For those not in the loop,
that is 7 days past the official cutoff for
Flashcom/Northpoint users.  We were told that we would be
axed on the 14th.  Well, this Flashcom/Northpoint SDSL line
is still going strong.  Still have rock solid speed (199/200
as tested by dslreports on a 208/208 SDSL line), still have
email services (though I switched back to my dial-up service
for inbound mail), still have NG access.  Telocity still has
not notified me of when my expected cutover will be or when
I can expect delivery of my "gateway" monstrosity.  I did
get a weird charge for something like $20 on my recent Amex
bill.  That amount matches absolutely nothing that I know
of, so I have contested the charge.  I'll pay it if it is
legit, but right now the charge is an unkown.

Has anyone been cut off yet from Flashcom?  Specifically,
has anyone completely lost service abruptly and not through
a changeover to another ISP?

--
Jeff Folloder

Bend the facts to fit the conclusion.
 It's easier that way.

More Flashcom

Post by Bria » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:47:59

Hey Jeff,

This is Brian ... no longer working with flashcom, found myself a new job.
Glad to hear the line is still working... Just wanted to say hi, I havent
heard much about Flashcom lately, if I do .. I'll post it up.

Regards.

Quote:> So,
> Here it is the 21st of January.  For those not in the loop,
> that is 7 days past the official cutoff for
> Flashcom/Northpoint users.  We were told that we would be
> axed on the 14th.  Well, this Flashcom/Northpoint SDSL line
> is still going strong.  Still have rock solid speed (199/200
> as tested by dslreports on a 208/208 SDSL line), still have
> email services (though I switched back to my dial-up service
> for inbound mail), still have NG access.  Telocity still has
> not notified me of when my expected cutover will be or when
> I can expect delivery of my "gateway" monstrosity.  I did
> get a weird charge for something like $20 on my recent Amex
> bill.  That amount matches absolutely nothing that I know
> of, so I have contested the charge.  I'll pay it if it is
> legit, but right now the charge is an unkown.

> Has anyone been cut off yet from Flashcom?  Specifically,
> has anyone completely lost service abruptly and not through
> a changeover to another ISP?

> --
> Jeff Folloder

> Bend the facts to fit the conclusion.
>  It's easier that way.

More Flashcom

Post by Jeff Follode » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 03:53:46

> Hey Jeff,

> This is Brian ... no longer working with flashcom, found myself a new job.
> Glad to hear the line is still working... Just wanted to say hi, I havent
> heard much about Flashcom lately, if I do .. I'll post it up.

I surmised that you were gainfully employed elsewhere when your emails started
bouncing.  Send me an email outside the NG.  I can give you an eyeful re:
Telocity!
--
Jeff Folloder

"How do you do? I see you've met my faithful
  handyman. He's just a little brought down
   because, when you knocked, he thought you
    were the candyman!"  -Frank N. Furter

More Flashcom

Post by Jon Smit » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:40:17

I am a prospective Flashcom/Northpoint orphan, too.

After several calls to Telocity, which caused nothing to happen, I got an
email from them out of the blue last week saying that if I had not received
my "Gateway" to give call this number....

I called, and spoke with several people before they knew what I was talking
about (they did not even know the name of the person who sent me the email);
they said things were a "mess" (their word), and the rep I spoke to last
said, "off the record," that if he were I, he would cancel with Telocity.
So I cancelled. I signed up with Speakeasy/Covad. Covad is coming to check
the phone line this week, and they say their setup/modem won't interfer with
the Flashcom modem, so, theoretically, if flashcom keeps going for a few
weeks longer, I won't have a long interruption.

Telocity is way in over their heads; they have also taken over Megapath's
residential DSL and can't do any of it right.

My Flashcom has been fine:  384/384 SDSL line with never a problem. I will
be sorry to see it go!

Jon in L.A.

More Flashcom

Post by MamaLa » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:36:22

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:10:26 -0600, Jeff Folloder

>So,
>Here it is the 21st of January.  For those not in the loop,
>that is 7 days past the official cutoff for
>Flashcom/Northpoint users.  We were told that we would be
>axed on the 14th.  Well, this Flashcom/Northpoint SDSL line
>is still going strong.  Still have rock solid speed (199/200
>as tested by dslreports on a 208/208 SDSL line), still have
>email services (though I switched back to my dial-up service
>for inbound mail), still have NG access.

My Flashcom connection in Wash., D.C. is still working, too.  It's
working better than EVER.  Weird.  I found that Flashcom slipped in a
$109 charge before I managed to cancel my credit card.  Therefore, for
signing up with them for $39.95 a month, first month free, and free
modem, I have now paid over $500 for 3 months of service.  WHAT A
BUNCH OF CROOKS.  But we all know that.

--MamaLana

More Flashcom

Funny thing, but I find my line is working faster now as well. Hmmm......