Router Advice Needed

Post by Matt Fuers » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 01:11:33

Greetings,

I am moving and am going from a cable modem to a DSL line. I am kinda
bummed, I really prefer the ease of networking with my cable modem than
the pain I see coming forward with the DSL line.

Basically, on my cable modem I have two static IP's, and I am having to
consolidate to one Static via DSL, but I think I can get it to work for
me.

What I want to be able to do:

Assign the one static IP address to my DSL router.
Route incoming requests to my IP to various machines on my internal
network based on their port. Basically, when someone comes into my IP
address (or my domain name) on the web port, I want them to go to my web
server. When they come in on my telnet port, I want them to get routed
to my linux box (different machine). (Basically, I want to be able to
give my internal machines static non-routable addresses, and then do
port mapping to those IP's depending on the port requested).

Is this possible with any of the currently available DSL routers? The
extra caveat is that the router will have to do PPoE... Wonderful. All
this just worked with the cable modem. <raspberries>

The Linksys 4-port Router handles PPoE and seems to have some ability to
open ports, but I dont think it does everything that I need... Please,
give me some help here!

Thanks so much

Matt Fuerst

Router Advice Needed

Post by Brian [Flashcom » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 05:40:26

Just make sure that you explain what you want to do when you order the
service.  If they sell you a IP Routed/Nat solution then you will be able to
do exactly what you explained below, if they set you up with StaticIP/Bridge
solution then you will have to use the linksys box or some other type of NAT
box.   The DSL modem that you get provided will be the BEST terminating
device for your dsl lines.  Run all extra equipment behind that bridge or
router.

Regards,

Brian.

Quote:> Greetings,

> I am moving and am going from a cable modem to a DSL line. I am kinda
> bummed, I really prefer the ease of networking with my cable modem than
> the pain I see coming forward with the DSL line.

> Basically, on my cable modem I have two static IP's, and I am having to
> consolidate to one Static via DSL, but I think I can get it to work for
> me.

> What I want to be able to do:

> Assign the one static IP address to my DSL router.
> Route incoming requests to my IP to various machines on my internal
> network based on their port. Basically, when someone comes into my IP
> address (or my domain name) on the web port, I want them to go to my web
> server. When they come in on my telnet port, I want them to get routed
> to my linux box (different machine). (Basically, I want to be able to
> give my internal machines static non-routable addresses, and then do
> port mapping to those IP's depending on the port requested).

> Is this possible with any of the currently available DSL routers? The
> extra caveat is that the router will have to do PPoE... Wonderful. All
> this just worked with the cable modem. <raspberries>

> The Linksys 4-port Router handles PPoE and seems to have some ability to
> open ports, but I dont think it does everything that I need... Please,
> give me some help here!

> Thanks so much

> Matt Fuerst

Router Advice Needed

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 02:16:55

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:

> What I want to be able to do:

> Assign the one static IP address to my DSL router.
> Route incoming requests to my IP to various machines on my internal
> network based on their port. Basically, when someone comes into my IP
> address (or my domain name) on the web port, I want them to go to my web
> server. When they come in on my telnet port, I want them to get routed
> to my linux box (different machine).

> Is this possible with any of the currently available DSL routers? The
> extra caveat is that the router will have to do PPoE... Wonderful. All
> this just worked with the cable modem. <raspberries>

Yes. AFAIK, most of the broadband routers available today will do this.
Certainly the ZyXEL P314/NetGear RT314 twins will do it. Check
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/reviews/index_router.htm for reviews
of routers. These reviews usually include information that should
include what you need to know. If not, these reviews include links to
official documentation (usually in PDF form) that should have the
answers.

Incidentally, if your DSL service uses PPPoE, chances are it does NOT
assign you a static IP address. Although I've heard of services that
plan to offer static IP addresses through PPPoE, this is very rare at
the moment. Double-check this detail if it's important to you. (If
necessary, you can use a dynamic DNS service to get around this issue.)
Also be sure that your ISP allows you to run servers. Many -- and
particularly those that use PPPoE -- don't.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Router Advice Needed

Post by Marc » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:19:22

A Cisco 827 will do everything you need and more. Although they are kind of
expensive.

> [Posted and mailed]

> > What I want to be able to do:

> > Assign the one static IP address to my DSL router.
> > Route incoming requests to my IP to various machines on my internal
> > network based on their port. Basically, when someone comes into my IP
> > address (or my domain name) on the web port, I want them to go to my web
> > server. When they come in on my telnet port, I want them to get routed
> > to my linux box (different machine).

> > Is this possible with any of the currently available DSL routers? The
> > extra caveat is that the router will have to do PPoE... Wonderful. All
> > this just worked with the cable modem. <raspberries>

> Yes. AFAIK, most of the broadband routers available today will do this.
> Certainly the ZyXEL P314/NetGear RT314 twins will do it. Check
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/reviews/index_router.htm for reviews
> of routers. These reviews usually include information that should
> include what you need to know. If not, these reviews include links to
> official documentation (usually in PDF form) that should have the
> answers.

> Incidentally, if your DSL service uses PPPoE, chances are it does NOT
> assign you a static IP address. Although I've heard of services that
> plan to offer static IP addresses through PPPoE, this is very rare at
> the moment. Double-check this detail if it's important to you. (If
> necessary, you can use a dynamic DNS service to get around this issue.)
> Also be sure that your ISP allows you to run servers. Many -- and
> particularly those that use PPPoE -- don't.

> --

> http://www.rodsbooks.com
> Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Router Advice Needed

Post by Thomas Dec » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 16:09:17

Hi Matt,

Have you looked at Alcatel's SpeedTouch Pro? I think it can do the things
you mentioned. (http://www.alcateldsl.com)

>What I want to be able to do:

>Assign the one static IP address to my DSL router.
>Route incoming requests to my IP to various machines on my internal
>network based on their port. Basically, when someone comes into my IP
>address (or my domain name) on the web port, I want them to go to my web
>server. When they come in on my telnet port, I want them to get routed
>to my linux box (different machine). (Basically, I want to be able to
>give my internal machines static non-routable addresses, and then do
>port mapping to those IP's depending on the port requested).

1. Help! PIX 515, DMZ, and Router advice needed.

Hi

I need some advice on installing a Pix 515-R firewall w/3 interfaces into a
network with 4 Routers (Cisco 2600).  One router is used for Internet and
the other three belong to third parties that deliver information services to
us (Investment Firm). All users currently have the Internet router
(10.5.1.1) as the default gateway and that router has routes to the other
three routers which are inside our network with private IP addresses
(10.x.x.x).  The problem I have is that unlike the Cisco 2600, the PIX will
not route packets to the same interface they came in on.  Since the PIX sits
between the network and the Cisco Router this is a problem.  So, is it
correct to put these third party routers on the DMZ?  or should I be doing
something else?  What is the best way to handle this?

John

2. DAE Problem with Mitsumi 32x

3. REPOST: Linksys DSL router advice needed

4. SMB over PPP

5. Linksys DSL router advice needed

6. Radius will not start - can't find a file specified

7. Advice needed - Router and PIX firewall fail-over/redundancy.

8. Cognitive science books?

9. Need some help and advice setting up a Cisco 2500 Router

10. Need advice on drop-and-insert for PBX and router separated by 4000'

11. need advice on VLAN router

12. need hardware advice on cisco router

13. Need advice on drop-and-insert for PBX and router separated by 4000'