SNET dsl line capping issue

Post by Eddie Huggin » Thu, 03 May 2001 06:52:52

Hi group

I'm looking for an opinion from anyone really. I have been using SNET dsl
pretty happily for around a year now. My speeds have been excellent
(somewhere around 1536kbps) and everything was fine. I noticed some
intermittent degradation in speed in the past couple of weeks and then
yesterday and today, i've been losing sync every few minutes on the dsl
modem and disconnecting continuously. I called in a trouble ticket with SNET
and they said they'd run some tests on the phone line. I called back today
and they told me that they'd capped my line to 768kbps and that was that. I
asked to be put through to tech support and after a hold period, they guy
told me that he had to cap my line at 384kbps and couldn't do anything else
as I was running at 99-100% capacitance unless he capped my line. I told him
i'd been running superbly for a whole year and he gave me some excuse about
the warm weather stretching the cable that could cause it. He said he'd have
engineers check the line again and see if they could spot anything but if
they coudln't that there was nothing else to be done. Now I know I was
getting great speeds before and what i'm now getting is just what they
promsied me originally but it's hard to go from downloading at around
150kb/s to around 35kb/s!!! does what eh said sound fair/right? i'm not
happy but he says he can't do anything. Well how about determining what the
issue is, fixing it and letting me have my quality service back again? it's
almost like going back to dial-up speeds again.

Any ideas about what, if anything else, I could do? he said that he would
NOT uncap the line despite my request to do so. Do I have any recourse at
all?

Thanks for any suggestions. Sorry for the long post too.

--
"If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while
you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a

-Jack Handy

SNET dsl line capping issue

Post by Geoffrey Anderso » Thu, 03 May 2001 09:08:35

Quote:> Hi group

[deleted great service speeds].

Now I know I was

Quote:> getting great speeds before and what i'm now getting is just what they
> promsied me originally but it's hard to go from downloading at around
> 150kb/s to around 35kb/s!!! does what eh said sound fair/right? i'm not
> happy but he says he can't do anything. Well how about determining what
the
> issue is, fixing it and letting me have my quality service back again?
it's
> almost like going back to dial-up speeds again.

Quit whining.  At least you can get what you were originally promised
(384K).  I had Pac Hell and they decided after 6 months that I was too far,
and shut me off completely.

Quote:

> Any ideas about what, if anything else, I could do? he said that he would
> NOT uncap the line despite my request to do so. Do I have any recourse at
> all?

Probably not.  Life is tough.
Quote:

> Thanks for any suggestions. Sorry for the long post too.

1. Please Help- Line Caps or Line Noise/ Efficient 5260 Modem/ SNET

Here is the problem. Over the 5 months I have had SNET
internet, I have seen my download rates decrease from
155KB/sec to 75 kb/sec and now its about 38 kbsec.

I wanted to know if I am being capped or there is another
factor at play. I am biased against the phone company because I know there
is a traffic problem at one of their
routers, but I am an engineer so I must look at objective
data.

So I did the telnet thing to the Efficient 5260. Here is
the information I think is relevant.

Show Conn- TX 128k RX 384K

Show dslinfo(dsl stats or dsl status I forget)- Max line
rate attainable- Always between 551K to 581K (This is just the output today,
obviously it was probably different when
I was getting 155KB/sec)

My question for the experts is "Is Max line rate attainable
controlled or limited by the dsl provider directly (ie through a keyboard)
or is it computed locally by my Efficient 5260 and solely a function of the
noise on the pair between me and and the CO?". Presumably, the CO
can alter the amplitude of the signal (and thus the Signal to noise ratio)
being transmitted
to my modem through a keyboard, so I suspect they have control.

2. Anyone using UK Keyboard with Indy?

3. Line speed capped because of link issues

4. Terry Morris shareware fees

5. Pac Bell, Ameritech, SNET DSL customers wanted for research into DSL

6. Finding/Building a digital audio library...

7. Qwest DSL question about DMT/CAP and Intel DSL 2100 modem

8. simple sound library for sound blaster

9. **** CAP 2.0 Implementation issues *****

10. DSL and v90 (SBC/SNET)

11. 250-300KB downloads on a 1.5Mb SNET/SBC DSL link??

12. Research on Ameritech/SNET DSL Customers and Employees

13. Anybody using SNET DSL service?