Update: Win98 IP Autoconfiguration

Post by John C. Pearso » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

This is an update to "My IP is in the 169.254.x.x range"

I was still showing an IP of 169.254.x.x in winipcfg when I have TCP/IP
bound to my NIC. I *finally* got thru to BA Tech Support on this and
even got passed up to the next level. I relayed on to the tech about
being able to see another computer in Network Neighborhood and he acted
as if this was the first time he's ever heard about it. I have a hard
time believing that. I also told him that I had gotten some information
(I believe it was from Will K.) about removing the TCP/IP binding from
my NIC. I told the tech that even without that binding, I was able to
perform all internet functions. His response was something to the effect
of, "I don't see how it can work...". Unreal.

Q: If I don't have TCP/IP bound to the NIC, how is it that BA is able to
assign me an IP address?

I certainly can't see it from within winipcfg since only my two PPP
adapters now show up. I would have to rebind the NIC in order for it to
show up in winipcfg...and then...I would STILL get the IP
Autoconfiguration Address that Win98 assigns. I told all of this to the
tech and he was baffled. He had to ask his network people and said he'd
call me back tomorrow afternoon. Don't worry...I'm *not* holding my
breath on this one. There is something very strange going on with BA.

One more: in winipcfg, I'm showing a DHCP server listing of
255.255.255.255. I have confirmed all of my adapters and DHCP is
disabled in all. WTF?

My current IP is in the 207.68.x.x range (this WITHOUT TCP/IP bound to
NIC). I was under the impression that I should be getting a 192.168.x.x
IP from BA....so was the tech.

Regardless of whether or not I have the NIC bound to TCP/IP, all
internet functions are normal. I'm just having a hard time understanding
the IP situation.

I'm still up right now...but hey, as we all know...that can change in a
hearbeat if they decide to upgrade that damned Redback Router again....

Sorry to all of those folks in  Queens! I feel your pain...been there,
done that, don't want it, will get it again... I'm sure!

John

--
System Information:
Gateway G6|Pentium-II 450Mhz|128Mb SyncDRAM|

Update: Win98 IP Autoconfiguration

Post by Will Krame » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

You winpoet software is actually acting as PPP dialer and your 207.xxx
address is your assigned ip from bell atlantic.  Chances are its your
gateway as well (don't worry about this)....whether you have TCP/IP
bound to your nic or not...the PPP dialer takes presidence over
that....

 I for example have a static ip on my nic for my dsl connection when I
use my modem to dial in the setting from that connection takes over
and this is what my computer uses....call a TCP/IP stack.  The last
connection takes precidence...

Will

Quote:>This is an update to "My IP is in the 169.254.x.x range"

>I was still showing an IP of 169.254.x.x in winipcfg when I have TCP/IP
>bound to my NIC. I *finally* got thru to BA Tech Support on this and
>even got passed up to the next level. I relayed on to the tech about
>being able to see another computer in Network Neighborhood and he acted
>as if this was the first time he's ever heard about it. I have a hard
>time believing that. I also told him that I had gotten some information
>(I believe it was from Will K.) about removing the TCP/IP binding from
>my NIC. I told the tech that even without that binding, I was able to
>perform all internet functions. His response was something to the effect
>of, "I don't see how it can work...". Unreal.

>Q: If I don't have TCP/IP bound to the NIC, how is it that BA is able to
>assign me an IP address?

>I certainly can't see it from within winipcfg since only my two PPP
>adapters now show up. I would have to rebind the NIC in order for it to
>show up in winipcfg...and then...I would STILL get the IP
>Autoconfiguration Address that Win98 assigns. I told all of this to the
>tech and he was baffled. He had to ask his network people and said he'd
>call me back tomorrow afternoon. Don't worry...I'm *not* holding my
>breath on this one. There is something very strange going on with BA.

>One more: in winipcfg, I'm showing a DHCP server listing of
>255.255.255.255. I have confirmed all of my adapters and DHCP is
>disabled in all. WTF?

>My current IP is in the 207.68.x.x range (this WITHOUT TCP/IP bound to
>NIC). I was under the impression that I should be getting a 192.168.x.x
>IP from BA....so was the tech.

>Regardless of whether or not I have the NIC bound to TCP/IP, all
>internet functions are normal. I'm just having a hard time understanding
>the IP situation.

>I'm still up right now...but hey, as we all know...that can change in a
>hearbeat if they decide to upgrade that damned Redback Router again....

>Sorry to all of those folks in  Queens! I feel your pain...been there,
>done that, don't want it, will get it again... I'm sure!

>John

Update: Win98 IP Autoconfiguration

Post by those who know me have no need of my na » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>being able to see another computer in Network Neighborhood and he acted
>as if this was the first time he's ever heard about it.

its usually so well blocked that any one random tech probably hasn't.

Quote:>Q: If I don't have TCP/IP bound to the NIC, how is it that BA is able to
>assign me an IP address?

pppoe uses a dun connection.  the ip datagrams are encapsulated in ethernet
frames, which are sent (per the ppp "adapter"'s instructions) to the dsl
modem, which knows that just about everything it sees is supposed to be
forwarded to the dslam, i.e., only ethernet handling, and no ip is needed
between you and the dsl modem.

some dsl modems can be given (or already have) an ip address, so that you
can communicate with it (the modem -- only).

Quote:>One more: in winipcfg, I'm showing a DHCP server listing of
>255.255.255.255. I have confirmed all of my adapters and DHCP is
>disabled in all. WTF?

doesn't matter if dhcp isn't enabled, i.e., something has to be in that
registry entry, what it is doesn't matter as long as it isn't used.  also,
that is the default, so don't bother trying to find and remove it -- its
either not there or removing it won't change what you see.

--
okay, have a sig then

Update: Win98 IP Autoconfiguration

Post by those who know me have no need of my na » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>when I use my modem to dial in the setting from that connection takes over

actually, that's optional (but default) behaviour.

--
okay, have a sig then

Update: Win98 IP Autoconfiguration

Post by John C. Pearso » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks all!

I'm still trying to understand the whole PPPoE process. I'm making
progress, thanks to all who've answered!

I'll keep TCP/IP bound solely to the DUN adapters...for now, it seems
safer that way...not to mention, completely unnecessary for the NIC.

Thanks again...and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

John

> >being able to see another computer in Network Neighborhood and he
acted
> >as if this was the first time he's ever heard about it.

> its usually so well blocked that any one random tech probably hasn't.

> >Q: If I don't have TCP/IP bound to the NIC, how is it that BA is able
> >assign me an IP address?

> pppoe uses a dun connection.  the ip datagrams are encapsulated in
ethernet
> frames, which are sent (per the ppp "adapter"'s instructions) to the
dsl
> modem, which knows that just about everything it sees is supposed to
be
> forwarded to the dslam, i.e., only ethernet handling, and no ip is
needed
> between you and the dsl modem.

> some dsl modems can be given (or already have) an ip address, so that
you
> can communicate with it (the modem -- only).

> >One more: in winipcfg, I'm showing a DHCP server listing of
> >255.255.255.255. I have confirmed all of my adapters and DHCP is
> >disabled in all. WTF?

> doesn't matter if dhcp isn't enabled, i.e., something has to be in
that
> registry entry, what it is doesn't matter as long as it isn't used.
also,
> that is the default, so don't bother trying to find and remove it --
its
> either not there or removing it won't change what you see.

> --
> okay, have a sig then

1. IP Autoconfiguration Problem

Just got BA ADSL a few days ago.  Went to transfer my web page files but
couldn't connect to my website.  After troubleshooting with BA Tech
Support who have been extremely helpful I was told that Win98 has set up
an autoconfig address in my DHCP settings.  Problem is that I need to
have an IP address within BA ranges to access my web space.  Autoconfig
puts in a 164.x.x.x address which is no good.
I was given an MS Knowledge Base article (Q220874) to reference regarding
TCP/IP addressing without a DHCP server.
I followed the directions exactly but then my network card did not
initialize properly when rebooting.  I was still able to get online but
my IP address was 0.0.0.0
Can anyone offer any suggestions?
TIA.
--
Regards,
Alan

2. FS: Amiga 300 with Video Toaster 4000 + Lots of goodies Need Christmas Money

3. Modem autoconfiguration in IOS 11.1

4. Service account locked out

5. Cisco 4700 Autoconfiguration

6. Downloaded details from Bank Of America

7. Problems in Win98 Supraexpress 56e SP modem detection after V90 update

8. Read After Write Verify on a PS/2 model 80

9. Win2000 network: Autoconfiguration with winipcfg/without DHCP

10. Win98 NAT Update

11. IP PHONE-IP PHONE-IP PHONE-IP PHONE-IP PHONE-IP PHONE-

12. Win98 to Win98 10/100 BT