Qwest DSL expands in Colorado like mad!!!!

Qwest DSL expands in Colorado like mad!!!!

Post by Alan » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 01:35:07

Since March, Qwest has been expanding their DSL into remote terminal boxes.
Qwest installs these remote terminals in areas that previously could not get
DSL.  You can see a picture of one of these boxes on the main page at
www.prolynx.com.  A typical remote terminal will service a subdivision with
about 350 homes.  So far this year, Qwest has installed more than 300 of
these remote terminals just in the Denver (303/720 area code) area.  If one
of these remote terminals is located in your area, you could get Qwest DSL
service with a speed of 640k up and 272k down, or higher.  Keep in mind that
the DSL equipment is located inside these remote terminals, making the
remote terminal your maximum distance point, not your main Central Office.
Speeds offered from these remote terminal are the "Deluxe" (640/272), the
"Deluxe Pro" (640/272 with SLA), the "640 Pro" (640/640) and the "1M."  For
price, speed and customer service, Qwest DSL, with an independent ISP
instead of Qwest.net, is the best way to go.

Try giving one of the "Qwest Authorized ISP's" a call to see if you qualify.

Qwest DSL expands in Colorado like mad!!!!

Post by Howard Braze » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 02:54:47

Quote:> Since March, Qwest has been expanding their DSL into remote terminal
> boxes.
> Qwest installs these remote terminals in areas that previously could not
> get
> DSL.  You can see a picture of one of these boxes on the main page at
> www.prolynx.com.  A typical remote terminal will service a subdivision
> with
> about 350 homes.  So far this year, Qwest has installed more than 300 of
> these remote terminals just in the Denver (303/720 area code) area.  If
> one
> of these remote terminals is located in your area, you could get Qwest DSL
> service with a speed of 640k up and 272k down, or higher.  Keep in mind
> that
> the DSL equipment is located inside these remote terminals, making the
> remote terminal your maximum distance point, not your main Central Office.
> Speeds offered from these remote terminal are the "Deluxe" (640/272), the
> "Deluxe Pro" (640/272 with SLA), the "640 Pro" (640/640) and the "1M."
> For
> price, speed and customer service, Qwest DSL, with an independent ISP
> instead of Qwest.net, is the best way to go.

> Try giving one of the "Qwest Authorized ISP's" a call to see if you
> qualify.

I have read the same thing.   So I called.    But no luck.

 I wonder what it is like for people outside of major metropolitan areas if
 things are that bad here after all these years.

Qwest DSL expands in Colorado like mad!!!!

Post by John D Loo » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 05:43:03

FYI
BellSouth has already installed 4500 at the end of 2000, and will have
installed 9000 of these remote solutions by the end of this year,
thruout their 9 state region.  (....They are really dragging their
feet....) There are a total of 18000 in their whole region.  Commercial
service is 1.5 Mbs down/256kbs up.  You can get service from
bellsouth.net, Earthlink, and others.
John

> Since March, Qwest has been expanding their DSL into remote terminal boxes.
> Qwest installs these remote terminals in areas that previously could not get
> DSL.  You can see a picture of one of these boxes on the main page at
> www.prolynx.com.  A typical remote terminal will service a subdivision with
> about 350 homes.  So far this year, Qwest has installed more than 300 of
> these remote terminals just in the Denver (303/720 area code) area.  If one
> of these remote terminals is located in your area, you could get Qwest DSL
> service with a speed of 640k up and 272k down, or higher.  Keep in mind that
> the DSL equipment is located inside these remote terminals, making the
> remote terminal your maximum distance point, not your main Central Office.
> Speeds offered from these remote terminal are the "Deluxe" (640/272), the
> "Deluxe Pro" (640/272 with SLA), the "640 Pro" (640/640) and the "1M."  For
> price, speed and customer service, Qwest DSL, with an independent ISP
> instead of Qwest.net, is the best way to go.

> Try giving one of the "Qwest Authorized ISP's" a call to see if you qualify.

  loop.vcf
< 1K Download

Qwest DSL expands in Colorado like mad!!!!

Post by w_to » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 08:39:23

  Why is Qwest doing as reported?  Why can Bell South install xDSL through remote
interface boxes?  Why was Verizon the only baby bell that was pushing xDSL?  These
and the whole bigger picture, including the Multimedia revolution that did not
happen, the last mile, the industry melt down,  why is AT&T losing money on long
distance and suddenly getting into cable, etc were all discussed in the newsgroup
comp.dcom.telecom.tech   about 15 Jul  entitled   "What are the new boxes that
Bellsouth is installing?".

> FYI
> BellSouth has already installed 4500 at the end of 2000, and will have
> installed 9000 of these remote solutions by the end of this year,
> thruout their 9 state region.  (....They are really dragging their
> feet....) There are a total of 18000 in their whole region.  Commercial
> service is 1.5 Mbs down/256kbs up.  You can get service from
> bellsouth.net, Earthlink, and others.
> John

> > Since March, Qwest has been expanding their DSL into remote terminal boxes.
> > Qwest installs these remote terminals in areas that previously could not get
> > DSL.  You can see a picture of one of these boxes on the main page at
> > www.prolynx.com.  A typical remote terminal will service a subdivision with
> > about 350 homes.  So far this year, Qwest has installed more than 300 of
> > these remote terminals just in the Denver (303/720 area code) area.  If one
> > of these remote terminals is located in your area, you could get Qwest DSL
> > service with a speed of 640k up and 272k down, or higher.  Keep in mind that
> > the DSL equipment is located inside these remote terminals, making the
> > remote terminal your maximum distance point, not your main Central Office.
> > Speeds offered from these remote terminal are the "Deluxe" (640/272), the
> > "Deluxe Pro" (640/272 with SLA), the "640 Pro" (640/640) and the "1M."  For
> > price, speed and customer service, Qwest DSL, with an independent ISP
> > instead of Qwest.net, is the best way to go.

> > Try giving one of the "Qwest Authorized ISP's" a call to see if you qualify.

1. Qwest DSL or Sprint Broadband (DSL vs. Fixed Wireless)?

Hello,

I have been using Sprint Broadband for the past 2 years at my home in
the West Denver burbs.  I'm in a pocket that has a mom and pop cable
carrier and not AT&T/Comcast so that was never a cable option when I
wanted high-speed service.  At the time we moved in, DSL from Qwest
(or others) was not an option either.  I had been using Qwest/US West
DSL service in my previous home.  Last but not least, I reviewed
DirecTV's satellite   Anyhow, for the most part, Sprint Broadband has
been great, especially for pulling down files off the internet.  Where
it has really been annoying however is on pulling down web sites (on
occasion) and especially for internet gaming.  I know that fixed
wireless was never designed to accomodate gaming due to latencies, but
I guess I've finally had it.  I don't play often, but when I do, it's
nice to have a consistent connection.

I now have DSL service that's available at my home and I'm no longer
contractually obligated to Sprint so I can cancel that service at any
time.  The main difference that I'm aware of between the two services
is that DSL will be slower for downloads but it will not be dependent
on severe weather conditions either.  I also know that DSL will be a
much more consistent connection and will be a better solution for the
times I jump online to unwind once in a while.  What other factors
should I consider between DSL and fixed-wireless?

Thank you in advance,

Matt Martin

2. ! MASS POST Was Here (hdmtfp)

3. What DSL modems are compatible with Qwest DSL service?

4. Ethernet-II Vs. 802.2

5. Qwest DSL question about DMT/CAP and Intel DSL 2100 modem

6. SSH (1.2.x) and closed STDIN fails

7. Next Meeting of the Cisco System Users Group - Colorado Springs/Southern Colorado Chapter

8. Problems with Forms 3 and Oracle7

9. Cisco System Users Group - Colorado Springs/Southern Colorado Chapter

10. COLORADO SPRINGS COLORADO ACCESS VIA CABLE?

11. Intermittant DSL problem driving me mad - anyone recognize this symptom?

12. DSL in Colorado Springs, CO

13. US West.net DSL performance in Colorado?