Which router to choose for sharing DSL (sympatico.ca ISP)?

Which router to choose for sharing DSL (sympatico.ca ISP)?

Post by Andr » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 07:45:27

Hi
I am going to setup home network to share DSL connection. My ISP
offers D-Link DI-704P, an Ethernet Broadband Gateway, for CAD139$
Has anyone tried other DSL routers? Are there cheaper solutions tested
for sharing DSL?
Interested in any information.
Regards,
Andrei

Which router to choose for sharing DSL (sympatico.ca ISP)?

Post by the real TOMMY Tutalidg » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 00:04:57

The D-link router is a hunk a shit. Avoid the routers they sell at costco.
Haven't heard anything bad about the netgear 314 although sometimes they
don't last a long time. Nexland routers will fall in price some as
nexland's stock approaches zero or zilch.

> Hi
> I am going to setup home network to share DSL connection. My ISP
> offers D-Link DI-704P, an Ethernet Broadband Gateway, for CAD139$
> Has anyone tried other DSL routers? Are there cheaper solutions tested
> for sharing DSL?
> Interested in any information.
> Regards,
> Andrei

Which router to choose for sharing DSL (sympatico.ca ISP)?

Post by Ken » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 01:54:18

It depends on whether or not you must have wireless.  Wired routers
are often available in the $30-40 USD range.

Quote:>Hi
>I am going to setup home network to share DSL connection. My ISP
>offers D-Link DI-704P, an Ethernet Broadband Gateway, for CAD139$
>Has anyone tried other DSL routers? Are there cheaper solutions tested
>for sharing DSL?
>Interested in any information.
>Regards,
>Andrei

Which router to choose for sharing DSL (sympatico.ca ISP)?

Post by the real TOMMY Tutalidg » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 05:57:46

He's from canada everything costs 10 times more up here.

> It depends on whether or not you must have wireless.  Wired routers
> are often available in the $30-40 USD range.

> >Hi
> >I am going to setup home network to share DSL connection. My ISP
> >offers D-Link DI-704P, an Ethernet Broadband Gateway, for CAD139$
> >Has anyone tried other DSL routers? Are there cheaper solutions tested
> >for sharing DSL?
> >Interested in any information.
> >Regards,
> >Andrei

Which router to choose for sharing DSL (sympatico.ca ISP)?

Post by Otha Stubblefiel » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 07:15:41

I had the 704P, and it worked fine.  I don't have it now because I got
the713P (wireless), which is also working fine.

Quote:> Hi
> I am going to setup home network to share DSL connection. My ISP
> offers D-Link DI-704P, an Ethernet Broadband Gateway, for CAD139$
> Has anyone tried other DSL routers? Are there cheaper solutions tested
> for sharing DSL?
> Interested in any information.
> Regards,
> Andrei

Which router to choose for sharing DSL (sympatico.ca ISP)?

Post by David H. Lipma » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 07:16:52

Andrew:

Although Linksys Tech Support *SUCKS*, I still recommend the Linksys
BEFSR41.

~$75 US

Dave

Quote:> Hi
> I am going to setup home network to share DSL connection. My ISP
> offers D-Link DI-704P, an Ethernet Broadband Gateway, for CAD139$
> Has anyone tried other DSL routers? Are there cheaper solutions tested
> for sharing DSL?
> Interested in any information.
> Regards,
> Andrei

Which router to choose for sharing DSL (sympatico.ca ISP)?

Post by Bill Crocke » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:24:55

Netgear FM114P is a nice, all-in-one, solution!

Bill Crocker

Quote:> Hi
> I am going to setup home network to share DSL connection. My ISP
> offers D-Link DI-704P, an Ethernet Broadband Gateway, for CAD139$
> Has anyone tried other DSL routers? Are there cheaper solutions tested
> for sharing DSL?
> Interested in any information.
> Regards,
> Andrei

Which router to choose for sharing DSL (sympatico.ca ISP)?

Post by Andr » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:52:45

Hi, I think I will buy Linksys BEFSR41W, I read carefully their manual
and think it will do what I need. Though I am not sure about voice and
video, so in this respect it still risky. I found one in Toronto for
119CAD it's still cheaper than D-link which has built-in print server
which I don't need. Also heard about SMC and Netgear's stuff, any
opinions about those?

Regards,
Andrei

Which router to choose for sharing DSL (sympatico.ca ISP)?

Post by David H. Lipma » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:27:41

Andrew:

Netgear is better than DLink.

There are caveats on printer ports on the device.  Some are not
bi-directional parallel ports.  Some printers need bi-directional
communication and will not work.

Dave

Quote:> Hi, I think I will buy Linksys BEFSR41W, I read carefully their manual

Post by steve harri » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:40:08

> Hi
> I am going to setup home network to share DSL connection. My ISP
> offers D-Link DI-704P, an Ethernet Broadband Gateway, for CAD139$
> Has anyone tried other DSL routers? Are there cheaper solutions tested
> for sharing DSL?
> Interested in any information.
> Regards,
> Andrei

Andrei,
look at the sales and grab whichever one is cheapest.
Make sure it has 4 or 8 ports for your computers; that will save you a
concentrator.

I prefer Netgear, but DLink and LinkSys are fine.

Steve

Post by steve harri » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:23:13

>> Hi
>> I am going to setup home network to share DSL connection. My ISP
>> offers D-Link DI-704P, an Ethernet Broadband Gateway, for CAD139$
>> Has anyone tried other DSL routers? Are there cheaper solutions tested
>> for sharing DSL?
>> Interested in any information.
>> Regards,
>> Andrei

> Andrei,
> look at the sales and grab whichever one is cheapest.
> Make sure it has 4 or 8 ports for your computers; that will save you a
> concentrator.

> I prefer Netgear, but DLink and LinkSys are fine.

> Steve

CompUSA sale this morning has a Siemens router for $10 after rebates and
savings, fwiw.