US West DSL installation $50

Post by Sixty9Vdubma » Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:00:00

For anybody in the Portland, Oregon area:

I, an independent consultant, will install US West DSL
software/hardware for the fee of $50.  You order DSL from US West
and get the box they send, call me and I will install the whole
package.  I will install the NIC if the modem is external and
setup the external inside the CBOS.  Also, will install the
internal modem and drivers and put the filters in all the right
places around the house/business.  Must be US West DSL only.  I
know nothing about Covad or GTE DSL.  I guarantee my installation
will work or no charge.  I do not guarantee that the line to the
house is in full working order.

Thank you very much and have a good day.

US West DSL installation $50

Post by Alan » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Good luck getting business this quarter.  USWest is offering FREE
Installation through the end of the quarter.  Maybe try sending another
message to the group stating why your installation is better.  I'm sure that
won't be hard to do.

Quote:> For anybody in the Portland, Oregon area:

> I, an independent consultant, will install US West DSL
> software/hardware for the fee of $50.  You order DSL from US West
> and get the box they send, call me and I will install the whole
> package.  I will install the NIC if the modem is external and
> setup the external inside the CBOS.  Also, will install the
> internal modem and drivers and put the filters in all the right
> places around the house/business.  Must be US West DSL only.  I
> know nothing about Covad or GTE DSL.  I guarantee my installation
> will work or no charge.  I do not guarantee that the line to the
> house is in full working order.

> Thank you very much and have a good day.

*

US West DSL installation $50

Post by Sixty9Vdubma » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Good luck getting business this quarter.  USWest is offering
FREE
>Installation through the end of the quarter.  Maybe try sending
another
>message to the group stating why your installation is better.
I'm sure that
>won't be hard to do.

Actually US West is offering free activation, a $69 value.
Installation by a US West technician will be $149.95.  So $50 is
a third of what they charge and I know what I am doing.

US West DSL installation $50

Post by Ed Mitchel » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Realistically, ADSL is not available on most actual US Worst phone lines. US
Worst admitted - eventually - that they can provide ADSL on only 30% of
lines in the Spokane area. However that estimate conflicts with two other
data points - the Verio NW ISP in Spokane estimates that ADSL works on only
5% to 11% of lines in this area, based on their experience as a CLEC trying
to install ADSL. The Yankee Group just issued a report this week estimated
that just 24% of all phone lines in the U.S. will work with ADSL by the end
of calendar year 2000.

ADSL is point #1 in my "Great Broadband Network Hoax" series I started
publishing in January 1999 at http://hamradio-online.com.

At the moment, I suspect that except for SBC and perhaps a few other RBOCs,
ADSL services will be essentially non-existent, forever, particularly if you
live in US Worst territory. Oh well.

Ed

> Good luck getting business this quarter.  USWest is offering FREE
> Installation through the end of the quarter.  Maybe try sending another
> message to the group stating why your installation is better.  I'm sure
that
> won't be hard to do.

> > For anybody in the Portland, Oregon area:

> > I, an independent consultant, will install US West DSL
> > software/hardware for the fee of $50.  You order DSL from US West
> > and get the box they send, call me and I will install the whole
> > package.  I will install the NIC if the modem is external and
> > setup the external inside the CBOS.  Also, will install the
> > internal modem and drivers and put the filters in all the right
> > places around the house/business.  Must be US West DSL only.  I
> > know nothing about Covad or GTE DSL.  I guarantee my installation
> > will work or no charge.  I do not guarantee that the line to the
> > house is in full working order.

> > Thank you very much and have a good day.

> > * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network
> *
> > The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

US West DSL installation $50

Post by Christopher Painte » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I commend you for offering service, but you have more balls then I do.  I
just did the inside wiring for a friend of mine who is getting Bell Atlantic
DSL ( put a splitter in and ran CAT 5 to his computer ) and now he is having
issues getting BA to turn the line on.  I know I did the wiring right, he
knows I did the wiring right, but some other person who doesn't know me
might think that it's my fault.

*BE CAREFUL* and cover your ass ( kinda like my home inspector did ..
*! )

Chris

Quote:> For anybody in the Portland, Oregon area:

> I, an independent consultant, will install US West DSL
> software/hardware for the fee of $50.  You order DSL from US West
> and get the box they send, call me and I will install the whole
> package.  I will install the NIC if the modem is external and
> setup the external inside the CBOS.  Also, will install the
> internal modem and drivers and put the filters in all the right
> places around the house/business.  Must be US West DSL only.  I
> know nothing about Covad or GTE DSL.  I guarantee my installation
> will work or no charge.  I do not guarantee that the line to the
> house is in full working order.

> Thank you very much and have a good day.

> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.veryComputer.com/ The Internet's Discussion Network
*

US West DSL installation $50

Post by Sixty9Vdubma » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Well, sir, God gave you two balls and he gave me 2 balls and
most every other male.  So it isn't a matter of balls.  It's a
matter of being able to get the job done.  BTW, I don't do any
of the wiring.  I setup the computer so that DSL will work when
the lines/wiring issues(if any) are resolved.  I guarantee it
will work.

US West DSL installation $50

Post by Lee B » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Oh ouch!!!
"USWorst" is, unfortunately, pretty darn close to the mark.  I used to work for the firm which handled their insurance
liability claims over the phone...I still don't have all of my ears left.

I work for SWBT.  Currently, their Project Pronto will invest $6 Billion/3 yrs to push the technology out to more and
more central offices.  Competition here is also a good thing...AOL RoadRunner goes down, ours will follow.
There's more, of course, to say, but it's late and I can imagine you're already*ing your chops to respond.

> Realistically, ADSL is not available on most actual US Worst phone lines. US
> Worst admitted - eventually - that they can provide ADSL on only 30% of
> lines in the Spokane area. However that estimate conflicts with two other
> data points - the Verio NW ISP in Spokane estimates that ADSL works on only
> 5% to 11% of lines in this area, based on their experience as a CLEC trying
> to install ADSL. The Yankee Group just issued a report this week estimated
> that just 24% of all phone lines in the U.S. will work with ADSL by the end
> of calendar year 2000.

> ADSL is point #1 in my "Great Broadband Network Hoax" series I started
> publishing in January 1999 at http://www.veryComputer.com/.

> At the moment, I suspect that except for SBC and perhaps a few other RBOCs,
> ADSL services will be essentially non-existent, forever, particularly if you
> live in US Worst territory. Oh well.

> Ed

> > Good luck getting business this quarter.  USWest is offering FREE
> > Installation through the end of the quarter.  Maybe try sending another
> > message to the group stating why your installation is better.  I'm sure
> that
> > won't be hard to do.

> > > For anybody in the Portland, Oregon area:

> > > I, an independent consultant, will install US West DSL
> > > software/hardware for the fee of $50.  You order DSL from US West
> > > and get the box they send, call me and I will install the whole
> > > package.  I will install the NIC if the modem is external and
> > > setup the external inside the CBOS.  Also, will install the
> > > internal modem and drivers and put the filters in all the right
> > > places around the house/business.  Must be US West DSL only.  I
> > > know nothing about Covad or GTE DSL.  I guarantee my installation
> > > will work or no charge.  I do not guarantee that the line to the
> > > house is in full working order.

> > > Thank you very much and have a good day.

> > > * Sent from RemarQ http://www.veryComputer.com/ The Internet's Discussion
> Network
> > *
> > > The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

---
Posted from DSLreports.com .. availability,prices,reviews,forums!
visit us today -----------------------  http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. US West DSL Installation Experience

I ordered US West's 256k DSL service on the first day it was offered in
Seattle: 7/9/98.  After various order-processing snafus (US West really
needs to work on their order processing system), and after waiting for
provisioning, the service was operational on
10/2/98.

After my order finally made it to the front of the queue, things went
smoothly.  First I received some packets of info in the mail.  A day or two
later I received some info
packets from uswest.net.  A few days later the actual equipment (the Cisco
675
modem and sundries) arrived in the mail...I had ordered a self install "drop
shipment."

The next day I unpacked the modem, plugged the modem into the telephone jack
and then connected the modem to my Ethernet card with the supplied crossover
cable.
Finally I connected the serial management cable from my PC to the modem.
Not much
to it, just connecting a few cables.

Next I fired up Hyperterminal, connected to the modem over the serial cable,
and
set the modem up for RFC1483 bridging mode.

The modem didn't train up, but I figured that was because the other end was
not
provisioned at the local wire center.  So I called US West and eventually
spoke
to a fellow who said he'd set the wheels in motion.  A few hours later, and
the
modem light started to indicate that it was trained up properly.  I set the
normal things
necessary for an ISP configuration (i.e. use DHCP to get IP addresses).  I
tried a few
pings to famous hosts, and ta da, it all worked.

So the sum total of my install was:
1) Connect phone cord from wall jack to Cisco modem.
2) Connect 10baseT patch cord from Cisco modem to PC Ethernet port.
3) Connect serial cable from Cisco modem to PC com port.
4) Issue one command to Cisco modem (bridging mode).
5) Wait a few hours for US West to activate their end.
6) Ta da, it works. (Set ISP configuration).

It can't get much easier than that.

I also tried connecting the Cisco modem directly to my local hub, using a
straight-through 10baseT patch cable.  With no other changes (except
telling each host to re-aquire an IP address from a DHCP server), all
my local hosts gathered DHCP config information with no problems
from uswest.net, each with a separate IP address and with connectivity
to the Internet, sharing the Cisco modem attached to the hub.

Based on the experience of a few days, I'm a happy camper.  Of course, the
bill has not arrive yet......

Randy Day-

2. Help with modem control

3. US-MN Sr. Network Analyst -design/optimization-TCP/IP ethernet $50 - $70k+lead

4. Alpha now an Intel chip???? (fwd)

5. U.S. West & Installation Issues

6. HOUSTON, TX: Benchmark Performance Engineers

7. DSL cheaper then $50??

8. Gpf In Powerbuilder V3.0a

9. dsl service for under $50 per month?

10. DSL Modem $50

11. $50 bucks off BA DSL!

12. DSL/Cable router 10/100 -- $50 rebate