Can several users share a DSL connection and use Internet services at the same time?

Can several users share a DSL connection and use Internet services at the same time?

Post by Chris Sea » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 13:15:43

I have been doing some research into sharing as ADSL account among three
computers.

For example, connecting the ADSL modem to a a router-hub like the Netgear
RT314, and then connect each computer through its own Ethernet card to the
hub.

My question is: when ADSL is shared over a local network, can each user
not only access the Internet at the same time, but use Internet services at
the same time? For example, one person is game playing, another person is
opening web pages, and the third is sending or receiving email, all at the
same time. I know that the one line shares traffic and that as more
transactions are carried out each one is degraded in bandwidth, but that is
not the question.

I ask because a local company, Magma, states
(http://www1.magma.ca/residential/highspeed/faq.html#2), "...You may also
connect the 1 Meg Modem to a network hub. In this situation, you would
install the supplied Remote Access software onto each computer on the
network. The drawback is that only 1 computer could connect to the HighSpeed
service at any given time...."

Post by Roger Summar » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 13:32:23

> I have been doing some research into sharing as ADSL account among three
> computers.

> For example, connecting the ADSL modem to a a router-hub like the Netgear
> RT314, and then connect each computer through its own Ethernet card to the
> hub.

> My question is: when ADSL is shared over a local network, can each user
> not only access the Internet at the same time, but use Internet services at
> the same time? For example, one person is game playing, another person is
> opening web pages, and the third is sending or receiving email, all at the
> same time. I know that the one line shares traffic and that as more
> transactions are carried out each one is degraded in bandwidth, but that is
> not the question.

you are correct.

Quote:

> I ask because a local company, Magma, states
> (http://www1.magma.ca/residential/highspeed/faq.html#2), "...You may also
> connect the 1 Meg Modem to a network hub. In this situation, you would
> install the supplied Remote Access software onto each computer on the
> network. The drawback is that only 1 computer could connect to the HighSpeed
> service at any given time...."

This is correct.  Only one machine may be online at a time.  To have all
machines online at the same time, take out "network hub" and insert "router /
hub" and delete the part about installing Remote Access software onto each
computer in the paragraph above.

Can several users share a DSL connection and use Internet services at the same time?

Post by Mark or Travi » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:12:32

Quote:> My question is: when ADSL is shared over a local network, can each
user
> not only access the Internet at the same time, but use Internet
services at
> the same time? >
> I ask because a local company, Magma, states
> install the supplied Remote Access software onto each computer on
the
> network.

Yes you can.  The gamer might not fair as well.
Apparently this is not true if you install the "Remote Access"
software, what ever that is,  so don't install it.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Can several users share a DSL connection and use Internet services at the same time?

Post by Brooke Parke » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 22:07:38

It might mean that the service is PPPoE (Point-To-Point Protocol over
Ethernet)...
This is the DSL equivallent to dial-up, however you don't dial-up! You just
have to authenticate your connection with a username/password before it can
be used.
However, if you have a router/NAT box such as a Linksys BEFSR41 it can do
your PPPoE connection for you, and everyone can be online at the same time,
because the Linksys makes it appear to the ISP that 1 computer is using the
connection.
However if you just had a hub, you could not validate yourself more than one
login at a time.
I hope that makes sense....
However if your not PPPoE, then you wouldn't even have to worry about it!
-Brooke

> > My question is: when ADSL is shared over a local network, can each
> user
> > not only access the Internet at the same time, but use Internet
> services at
> > the same time? >
> > I ask because a local company, Magma, states
> > install the supplied Remote Access software onto each computer on
> the
> > network.

> Yes you can.  The gamer might not fair as well.
> Apparently this is not true if you install the "Remote Access"
> software, what ever that is,  so don't install it.

> --
> Travis in Shoreline Washington

Can several users share a DSL connection and use Internet services at the same time?

Post by John McGa » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 22:56:48

If your router is compatible with your providers protocol you can do it but
you don't even need the router if you have a W2K machine to use as the
connection to the ISP. W2K is very competent at sharing connections through
a simple hub. W98 could, in theory, do the same thing but was incredibly
clumsy about it. Right now my connection is shared among four machines (W2K,
W98, W98, W95) and it is totally flawless.
--
*** E-mail return address will not work!
*** Please reply in group or through my website.

John McGaw
Knoxville, TN, USA
http://johnmcgaw.com

Quote:> I have been doing some research into sharing as ADSL account among three
> computers.

> For example, connecting the ADSL modem to a a router-hub like the Netgear
> RT314, and then connect each computer through its own Ethernet card to the
> hub.

> My question is: when ADSL is shared over a local network, can each user
> not only access the Internet at the same time, but use Internet services
at
> the same time? For example, one person is game playing, another person is
> opening web pages, and the third is sending or receiving email, all at the
> same time. I know that the one line shares traffic and that as more
> transactions are carried out each one is degraded in bandwidth, but that
is
> not the question.

> I ask because a local company, Magma, states
> (http://www1.magma.ca/residential/highspeed/faq.html#2), "...You may also
> connect the 1 Meg Modem to a network hub. In this situation, you would
> install the supplied Remote Access software onto each computer on the
> network. The drawback is that only 1 computer could connect to the
HighSpeed
> service at any given time...."

Can several users share a DSL connection and use Internet services at the same time?

Post by Chris Sea » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 00:13:03

Thank you to all who have assured me that, when using a router-hub between
the adsl modem and several computers, and no remote access software is
installed on any computer, that all computer users can use Internet services
at the same time, using one account, without problem other than those
associated with shared bandwidth.

In this example the adsl provider would see only the router-hub, and
considers this as one computer using the connection.

I asked for clarification because a local company, Magma, states
(http://www1.magma.ca/residential/highspeed/faq.html#2), "...You may also
connect the 1 Meg Modem to a network hub. In this situation, you would
install the supplied Remote Access software onto each computer on the
network. The drawback is that only 1 computer could connect to the HighSpeed
service at any given time...."

I did research this before posting and was unable to find any resource that
made the explicit statement I was seeking.

Regards...Chris

Post by M. Smit » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:39:09

Quote:> I have been doing some research into sharing as ADSL account among three
> computers.

> For example, connecting the ADSL modem to a a router-hub like the Netgear
> RT314, and then connect each computer through its own Ethernet card to the
> hub.

> My question is: when ADSL is shared over a local network, can each user
> not only access the Internet at the same time, but use Internet services
at
> the same time? For example, one person is game playing, another person is
> opening web pages, and the third is sending or receiving email, all at the
> same time. I know that the one line shares traffic and that as more
> transactions are carried out each one is degraded in bandwidth, but that
is
> not the question.

> I ask because a local company, Magma, states
> (http://www1.magma.ca/residential/highspeed/faq.html#2), "...You may also
> connect the 1 Meg Modem to a network hub. In this situation, you would
> install the supplied Remote Access software onto each computer on the
> network. The drawback is that only 1 computer could connect to the
HighSpeed
> service at any given time...."

Please re-read the last paragraph carefully. They are talking about running
the DSL modem through a simple hub. Apparently, Magma is only going to
supply you one IP address at a time. Running through a hub, each of the 3
PC's would require its own IP address. That is why only one PC could access
at a time.

A Netgear RT311/314 only uses 1 internet IP address. It then assigns LOCAL
IP addresses to each of the computers hooked up to it. All three machines
could be on the internet at the same time with the Netgear router. I
currently have 4 PC's running through my RT311, and have had 6 running at
once in the past.

Can several users share a DSL connection and use Internet services at the same time?

Post by BenCh » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 12:06:32

Quote:>Please re-read the last paragraph carefully. They are talking about running
>the DSL modem through a simple hub. Apparently, Magma is only going to
>supply you one IP address at a time. Running through a hub, each of the 3
>PC's would require its own IP address. That is why only one PC could access
>at a time.

In Windows 2000 and Win98SE, there is a feature called Internet Connection
Sharing (ICS) which allows you to share an internet connection among many
computers. The downside is the host computer must be on for the other computers
to use the internet.

-ben

Can several users share a DSL connection and use Internet services at the same time?

Post by Rolo » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:19:59

Yes, but NOT with a Linksys router.

Before anyone disagrees with me on this:  set up 2 PC's with any real-time
nettable game (such as Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament) and just go ahead and
try to play on both of them on the internet.

Linksys' tech support will also tell you that this is not supported.  POS!

    -R

Quote:> My question is: when ADSL is shared over a local network, can each user
> not only access the Internet at the same time, but use Internet services
at
> the same time?

1. Help: Linksys Cable/DSL sharing 4-port router + wireless home network using Win98 Internet Connection Sharing

I've got the popular Linksys 4-port Cable/DSL sharing router. Sorry I don't
have the P/N at my fingertips.

I have the router between my Win98 SE desktop machine and my (Time-Warner)
Motorola cable modem.  I can access the internet via this desktop computer
with no problems.

I have a Win95 notebook connected to this desktop machine using Proxim
Symphony wireless network cards. I use Win98's Internet Connection Sharing
(ICS) to give internet access to the notebook. Without the router, this
works fine. However, with the router in the loop, the laptop has not
internet access. If I take the router back out of the loop, the laptop can
see the internet again without a hitch.

Symphony (the makers of my wireless card) want me to buy their wireless
access point, so they don't support other internet connection sharing
solutions, such as proxy software and Win98's ICS.  So I don't expect much
help from them.

I've waited on hold for Linksys without reaching a human. I haven't sent
them any e-mail yet. I didn't find any answers on their site or elsewhere on
the net.

Can anyone help me with this?

TIA,

-e.

2. quadro + 2003 + Geforce3, any success?

3. How to connect 2 cable/DSL routers to share 2 internet connections (DSL + Cable modem)?

4. help me

5. Classic problem : EVAL AVOIDANCE

6. Supported Drives

7. Using Account to restrict user time connection

8. Internet Connection Sharing and User Profiles

9. Using DSL for hosting and Sharing at same time.

10. Telocity, users please help, I am having problems sharing my dsl connection.........