Cisco 675 <-> Cisco 675, no dslam

Post by Tim Petloc » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Will this configuration work to pass data from point a to point b over a
pair of wires?  Has anyone done it?  I have a spare '675 and my ISP bought
one on eBay.  Anyway, the application is to pass 512k of bandwidth
from point a to point b over a pair of wires within the same building.
We tried just ethernet but the distance was too great and we can't install
repeaters.  Cisco's pre-sales tech support said it was possible to get the
two to pass data over the wire.

Well, lots of things are "possible" with Cisco products :-) but getting the
config files just right so the two boxes make nice is quite another matter.
Have any of you ever tried this??  The Cisco that I have was formerly used
with US West's DSL offering, I know nothing about the other box at this
point.
Are the default passwords left that way or does USWest do something special?

I will post my results to this NG.  I intend to try a straight thru cable,
and if that doesn't work I'll cross tip and ring.  Would settle for bridge
mode but will try for routing PPP.  I have the older version of the software
on the 675 that I've got, don't know about the other one.

Tim Petlock

Cisco 675 <-> Cisco 675, no dslam

Post by David Tan » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Tim,

There is no way that you can connect two CPE modems together without
hardware modifications.  What you need is one modem be configured as
a DSLAM type.  This is necessary because of the bandwidth separation
between the Upstream and Downstream in xDSL in order for the data
to be transmitted and received properly.  Having said that, you need a
schematic for the '675 from Cisco to change the Analog output filter
banks for it to work.

Good Lucks!
David -

>Will this configuration work to pass data from point a to point b over a
>pair of wires?  Has anyone done it?  I have a spare '675 and my ISP bought
>one on eBay.  Anyway, the application is to pass 512k of bandwidth
>from point a to point b over a pair of wires within the same building.
>We tried just ethernet but the distance was too great and we can't install
>repeaters.  Cisco's pre-sales tech support said it was possible to get the
>two to pass data over the wire.

>Well, lots of things are "possible" with Cisco products :-) but getting the
>config files just right so the two boxes make nice is quite another matter.
>Have any of you ever tried this??  The Cisco that I have was formerly used
>with US West's DSL offering, I know nothing about the other box at this
>point.
>Are the default passwords left that way or does USWest do something
special?

>I will post my results to this NG.  I intend to try a straight thru cable,
>and if that doesn't work I'll cross tip and ring.  Would settle for bridge
>mode but will try for routing PPP.  I have the older version of the
software
>on the 675 that I've got, don't know about the other one.

>Tim Petlock

1. >>>>>>>A Conspiracy?<<<<<<<

I have suspected some noise problems on my line as well, but without
any hard evidence as of yet; I have, simply, not exhausted every
effort to do so at this time.  However, in my endeavor to find some
valid answers to my particular modem problems, I have been given some
very thought provoking responses by other folks online and various
modem manufacturers.  Most of today's modems have been designed to
work on "voice" grade phone lines.  Yet, when you call the phone
companies about the expected quality of your phone line, they simply
say that, they guarantee that you will be able to clearly talk and
listen on your residental phone lines.  Now, if modem manufacturers
are designing their modems to operate to "voice" grade phone line
specifications, as I'm sure they are, why does the phone company offer
this vague description of residential phone line quality?  Somebody is
not telling the whole truth here!  I theorize that the phone companies
have gotten away with providing substandard phone line quality for
some time now and until the advent of high speed modems these
deficiency have gone unchecked by the average customer.  What I find
even more outragous is that, the phone companies are more than happy
to tell and sell their customers expensive possible solutions to their
current phone line problems.  Am I missing something here?  "It is
possible that you (the phone company) are not giving me the level of
service I am ALREADY paying for."

If any other readers out there feel the way I do, then, please, write
me or post something to support or even discredit these hypothoses.
A lot of us are trying to work at home now-a-days and can't afford to
be jerked around any longer, if, infact, we are.  If this is a real
problem, it needs to be fixed not ignored.

Note:  These are my stong personal beliefs and, as of yet, are not
       proven fact...that's the nature of hypothesis and without it
       we would be still be hudled in caves fearing shadows.

2. Visor vs older Palm

3. >>>>>>New Breakthrough!<<<<<<<<

4. code coloring

5. => Cisco 675 dsl connected errors ...?

6. Nitpick on basic_filebuf::seekpos

7. <<<>>> INFORMATION ABOUT SPORTSTER LOCKUPS <<<>>>

8. Vvisioneer 6100 usb scanner

9. <<<<<<<< Lan Guru's Please Help >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

10. Newbie Question: Cisco 1605-R and Cisco 675

11. Cisco 7206 and Cisco 675 Static IP's

12. Cisco 675 router 2.4.2 CBOS upgrade for FREE from Cisco

13. <<<<<<<<<<<HELP>>>>>>>>>> Is there a place I can find a ...