Auto re-connect DSL

Post by Dr. Joseph V. Scurall » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I am using WinPoet for my BA DSL connection on Win98. The connection often
gets dropped, but the dialer still thinks it is connected. I have to
manually disconnect and re-connect. When I'm away, this is a problem! Does
anyone know of any software that will sense that there is not actually a
connection (by pinging on a regular basis for example), disconnect and
re-connect my DSL connection?
Thanks,
Joe

Auto re-connect DSL

Post by Dave Earl » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

i dumped winpoet to use the much simpler raspppoe.
http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/README.HTM  it is extremely simple to
setup (at least under win2k) and works just like a dialup networking
connection, in fact, thats what it is.  beats the crappy winpoet stuff.
however, i still experience the "dead connection"  sometimes after only a
few hours the connection goes dead and like you say, it must be manually
disconnected and reconnected.  if you switch to raspppoe then you may be
able to setup an automatic disconnect with another program and then have it
reconncect on demand, or at a scheduled time.  if you find a better solution
please let me know.
Dave

Quote:> I am using WinPoet for my BA DSL connection on Win98. The connection often
> gets dropped, but the dialer still thinks it is connected. I have to
> manually disconnect and re-connect. When I'm away, this is a problem! Does
> anyone know of any software that will sense that there is not actually a
> connection (by pinging on a regular basis for example), disconnect and
> re-connect my DSL connection?
> Thanks,
> Joe

Auto re-connect DSL

Post by Patrick A. Fort » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

For me to, this is really a problem I have not solved.

Patrick

Quote:> I am using WinPoet for my BA DSL connection on Win98. The connection often
> gets dropped, but the dialer still thinks it is connected. I have to
> manually disconnect and re-connect. When I'm away, this is a problem! Does
> anyone know of any software that will sense that there is not actually a
> connection (by pinging on a regular basis for example), disconnect and
> re-connect my DSL connection?
> Thanks,
> Joe

Auto re-connect DSL

Post by Dr. Joseph V. Scurall » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I'm going to try that raspppoe. I can't believe that these DSL dialer
companies haven't taken care of this issue!

> For me to, this is really a problem I have not solved.

> Patrick

> > I am using WinPoet for my BA DSL connection on Win98. The connection
often
> > gets dropped, but the dialer still thinks it is connected. I have to
> > manually disconnect and re-connect. When I'm away, this is a problem!
Does
> > anyone know of any software that will sense that there is not actually a
> > connection (by pinging on a regular basis for example), disconnect and
> > re-connect my DSL connection?
> > Thanks,
> > Joe

Auto re-connect DSL

Post by Michael Ferrar » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I have the same problem. It's very frustrating! Most of the
dialer programs will only sense if the DUN connection was
dropped, not if your ADSL connection stopped responding. I tried
KeepRAS, but I couldn't get it to work (it would never ping the
listed servers).

As far as I know, none of the PPPoE protocol programs (WinPoET,
Enternet, RASPPPoE, etc) sense if your ADSL connection went dead.

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Auto re-connect DSL

Post by sgalla.. » Sun, 23 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I've had this same "dead" connection problem too.  However, I just set
up KeepRAS and it works great for me!  It pings the reference address
just fine.  I tested it by killing the connection, and when the battery
of ping tests failed, it reconnected the WinPoet connection.  I'd
recommend trying KeepRAS again.

Steve G.

Quote:> I have the same problem. It's very frustrating! Most of the
> dialer programs will only sense if the DUN connection was
> dropped, not if your ADSL connection stopped responding. I tried
> KeepRAS, but I couldn't get it to work (it would never ping the
> listed servers).

> As far as I know, none of the PPPoE protocol programs (WinPoET,
> Enternet, RASPPPoE, etc) sense if your ADSL connection went dead.

> Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Auto re-connect DSL

Post by Patrick A. Fort » Sun, 23 Jul 2000 04:00:00

For me, after many hours of attempts and email exchange with the author,
KeepRAS does nothing.  It simply counts down the list of "pings" and starts
over.  It never dials anything or attempts to do anything.  I wish it did.
the DSL BA disconnects are about getting to me.  Any additional ideas?

Patrick

Quote:> I have the same problem. It's very frustrating! Most of the
> dialer programs will only sense if the DUN connection was
> dropped, not if your ADSL connection stopped responding. I tried
> KeepRAS, but I couldn't get it to work (it would never ping the
> listed servers).

> As far as I know, none of the PPPoE protocol programs (WinPoET,
> Enternet, RASPPPoE, etc) sense if your ADSL connection went dead.

> Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

Auto re-connect DSL

Post by Ladislav Sediv » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> For me, after many hours of attempts and email exchange with the author,
> KeepRAS does nothing.  It simply counts down the list of "pings" and starts
> over.  It never dials anything or attempts to do anything.  I wish it did.
> the DSL BA disconnects are about getting to me.  Any additional ideas?

> Patrick

I am looking into this.  It seems like it's some kind of a weird problem
with Win9x.  I will investigate this (maybe tonight) but I have to
create a Win9x hard disk first (I use WinNT/2000 myself)

--
Lac

Auto re-connect DSL

Post by lacib.. » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I am using WinPoet for my BA DSL connection on Win98. The connection
often
> gets dropped, but the dialer still thinks it is connected. I have to
> manually disconnect and re-connect. When I'm away, this is a problem!
Does
> anyone know of any software that will sense that there is not actually
> connection (by pinging on a regular basis for example), disconnect and
> re-connect my DSL connection?
> Thanks,
> Joe

Check out the free KeepRAS (60k) utility.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~lacs/

Lac

Post by Michael Ferrar » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>Check out the free KeepRAS (60k) utility.

>http://members.bellatlantic.net/~lacs/

>Lac

Your new version works great for me. Thanks Lac!

Mike

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Auto re-connect DSL

Post by Dr. Joseph V. Scurall » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the tip!

--

Auto re-connect DSL

Post by Dr. Joseph V. Scurall » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I must congratulate Lac, the new version of KeepRas works great.

> > For me, after many hours of attempts and email exchange with the author,
> > KeepRAS does nothing.  It simply counts down the list of "pings" and
starts
> > over.  It never dials anything or attempts to do anything.  I wish it
did.
> > the DSL BA disconnects are about getting to me.  Any additional ideas?

> > Patrick

> I am looking into this.  It seems like it's some kind of a weird problem
> with Win9x.  I will investigate this (maybe tonight) but I have to
> create a Win9x hard disk first (I use WinNT/2000 myself)

> --
> Lac

Auto re-connect DSL

Post by ia.. » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

What's interesting is that so far few ISP (including Bell Atlantic etc)
are using G.Lite DSL. This software has nice technical features such
as "Fast Retrain" whcu automatically senses when a DSL connection is
lost and reactivates it immediately (it's a Patent pending for Aware
(AWRE).
Beats me why these ISP's are not selling decent technology which would
make our life much easier. research Awre's website for info
www.aware.com

Post by Ladislav Sediv » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> What's interesting is that so far few ISP (including Bell Atlantic etc)
> are using G.Lite DSL. This software has nice technical features such
> as "Fast Retrain" whcu automatically senses when a DSL connection is
> lost and reactivates it immediately (it's a Patent pending for Aware
> (AWRE).
> Beats me why these ISP's are not selling decent technology which would
> make our life much easier. research Awre's website for info
> www.aware.com

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

We all know how technologically advanced BA is ;)

--
Lac

Auto re-connect DSL

Post by svanschalkwy » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Look at the scripting language REBOL at www.rebol.com.
Good luck!
Step.

---
Posted from DSLreports.com .. availability,prices,reviews,forums!
visit us today -----------------------  http://www.DSLreports.com

1. +++, ato, doesn't re-connect

   I had the same problem and posted to group about a week ago. I
received a response from someone who correctly identified the
 problem. The answering modem will see the '+++' echoing back
 to it and will go offline. Either your Internet provider
 should reprogram their modem to ignore the '+++' or you must
  turn-off echo yourself. For the UNIX shell, 'stty -echo' should
  work. After you type, AT O to get back online, type 'stty echo'
  to restore echoing of characters. I hope this is helpful.
                                        Paul Klahr

2. Monitor Description Files

3. trying to re-connect home alarm system

4. Terminal Server Died?

5. USWest Select automatic re-connect

6. DNS Client service prevents DNS names resolutions

7. auto-connect with DSL

8. Error

9. is there a program that can auto-connect your dsl connection when dropped?

10. auto or not to auto

11. auto-summary / no auto-summ explanation please

12. Looking for modems that auto-auto-dial

13. How to auto-unload BEMGR (Backup Exec) for auto-DOWNing